First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I’m going to put Rubicon suspension under my 2018 JLU Sport in a couple of weeks.

I want to install QD front sway bars, or QD ends, at the same time, if not a big deal to do so.

Any recommendations, with quality, ease of installation and ease of use my highest priorities?
Price matters, but not as much as the above listed considerations.

Don’t want to have to weld or fab anything.

Seems like several options say “2-4” lifts”, and the Rubicon to Sport is generally considered 1.5”.

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
JKS has some great ones. Metalcloak has some that are attractively priced. Had a couple sets in the shop in case I get a sport or Sahara that comes thru but it’s been all rubicons!

Brett

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
JKS has some great ones. Metalcloak has some that are attractively priced. Had a couple sets in the shop in case I get a sport or Sahara that comes thru but it’s been all rubicons!

Brett
Thanks Brett! Alan (@walweb) is going to help (or more accurately, let me help) install his Rubicon takeoff suspension, and then we’re headed for Ouray to take on some of the big-dog San Juan trails.

We only plan to spend a morning on the swap, and don’t want the disconnects to upset those plans. If they won’t bolt on without drama, they’ll just have to wait.

Can you recommend one that will fill that bill?

Thanks. Joe

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Brett! Alan (@walweb) is going to help (or more accurately, let me help) install his Rubicon takeoff suspension, and then we’re headed for Ouray to take on some of the big-dog San Juan trails.

We only plan to spend a morning on the swap, and don’t want the disconnects to upset those plans. If they won’t bolt on without drama, they’ll just have to wait.

Can you recommend one that will fill that bill?

Thanks. Joe
You’ll have to pull the sway bar end links to do the coil swap. Just leave them off until your trip is over would be my suggestion.

Alan is an awesome guy and I’m jealous we’re missing out. Try and talk him into smoking something!

Brett

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I’d be
You’ll have to pull the sway bar end links to do the coil swap. Just leave them off until your trip is over would be my suggestion.

Alan is an awesome guy and I’m jealous we’re missing out. Try and talk him into smoking something!

Brett
Yep. He feels the same about you. I kinda regret not joining y’all in Moab.

Maybe next year.

I’m driving up from Texas, so I don’t think I want to leave them disconnected till I get home, do I?

Are you saying it would be a lot of trouble to switch out while we’re swapping shocks and springs?

Edit:

To be clear, if it wouldn’t be a big deal to install the QD ends or entire QD sway bars while we’re swapping suspension, I’d like to do that. I’m no mechanic, and Alan is one, so I’d prefer to do it with him if possible.

I’d be happy to buy the parts from you if you wouldn’t mind shipping them to me.

Thanks! Joe

Last edited:

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d be

Yep. He feels the same about you. I kinda regret not joining y’all in Moab.

Maybe next year.

I’m driving up from Texas, so I don’t think I want to leave them disconnected till I get home, do I?

Are you saying it would be a lot of trouble to switch out while we’re swapping shocks and springs?

Edit:

To be clear, if it wouldn’t be a big deal to install the QD ends or entire QD sway bars while we’re swapping suspension, I’d like to do that. I’m no mechanic, and Alan is one, so I’d prefer to do it with him if possible.

I’d be happy to buy the parts from you if you wouldn’t mind shipping them to me.

Thanks! Joe
Id order the JKS ones. Won’t be much extra work. Sorry I misunderstood what you were meaning. I can’t remember if you have to drill a hole or not for the retention hardware

Moab was a blast!

Brett

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The JKS quick disconnects we had on my wife's sport were great and fairly easy to install. You need a saw to cut off one of the tabs on the bottom right mount, but it was well worth it for us :beer:
20180908_133215_resized.jpg
20180908_135552_resized.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
brazos

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If you are not doing at least a 2" lift why waste the $$$ on Q/D links? There is a reason there are limited options for under 2" Q/D links.
Is this correct? I thought that disconnecting sway bars were beneficial for flexing regardless of lift.

Why else would Rubicon come with them?

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
If you are not doing at least a 2" lift why waste the $$$ on Q/D links? There is a reason there are limited options for under 2" Q/D links.
Completely disagree. Tons of people are doing 1.5 inch lifts and 2 inch lifts, and stock Wrangler and Gladiator Rubicons, all are valid to have disconnects. If you look at JK’s, there are lots of companies making 0-2 inch disconnects, JKS, Steinjager, Teraflex, Rough Country, to name a few. Invalidating your limited options perspective. More will come to JL’s too.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Is this correct? I thought that disconnecting sway bars were beneficial for flexing regardless of lift.

If you are running Stock wheels with a +20-+44 offset you are really hugging the well as it is which will likely limit flex. If you go to negative offsets you can get full flex. My point is most do not do a lifts unless going bigger on wheels and tires and then managing the offsets. Rubicon axles are wider which accommodates the flexing, the JLU is a little more challenged which is why I said it is a very limited choice.

Completely disagree. Tons of people are doing 1.5 inch lifts and 2 inch lifts, and stock Wrangler and Gladiator Rubicons, all are valid to have disconnects. If you look at JK’s, there are lots of companies making 0-2 inch disconnects, JKS, Steinjager, Teraflex, Rough Country, to name a few. Invalidating your limited options perspective. More will come to JL’s too.
These are Not JK's again there is a reason there are limited options, again because of the very positive offsets without more lift and even then managing the offset it can be problematic

spies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep

No that is not correct. Ride height ("lift") has nothing to do with flexing. Ignoring driveshaft interference and control arm bind, flex is determined by your bump stops and shock lengths.

Now with that said, the stock sport shocks are pretty short, picking up a set of rubicon shocks or some aftermarket 0" lift shocks would be a solid upgrade.

Back on topic... before investing money in sway bar disconnects, see how your jeep drives with your sway bar disconnected. Every SFA truck I've ever had I ran without a front bar. Including JK and JL. It also smooths out the ride a bit by reducing your effective front spring rate. If you like it, then just take the whole bar off, then you don't have to worry about tire interference.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Back on topic... before investing money in sway bar disconnects, see how your jeep drives with your sway bar disconnected. Every SFA truck I've ever had I ran without a front bar. Including JK and JL. It also smooths out the ride a bit by reducing your effective front spring rate. If you like it, then just take the whole bar off, then you don't have to worry about tire interference.
That is absurd, Swaybar links should be disconnected only when needed at lower speeds, otherwise just wait till you have to do a quick maneuver at at highway speeds and lose control because of it. There is plenty discussion here about the risk of being disconnected as daily driver.

No that is not correct. Ride height ("lift") has nothing to do with flexing. Ignoring driveshaft interference and control arm bind, flex is determined by your bump stops and shock lengths.
This is also not correct, if your tires top out before your bump stops your flex is also limited by that which is where a lift comes into play as well as mentioned above wheel offset, if you wheel are to recessed they will rub before you get to the stops thus limiting the travel.

Be careful not to install too small of a lift and later regret and then up size later (like I did, 2 months later), that is an expensive mistake
Sponsored