Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - Snazzberry w/Xtreme Recon pckg
Occupation
Computer stuff
^^Not fan of black grille
I wasn't originally a fan of the black grill either, but after seeing it in person I've changed my opinion

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Can you get a Willys without the black grille?
I was thinking of a Willys also. I changed my mind after finding out a few things. My Willys build was only $3K cheaper than my Rubicon build because I wanted the same options. The Rubicon come standard with 8.4" Alpine, Proximity Doors. I don't want the MT tires that come on the Willys for daily driving. I wanted Proximity Door locks.

Know this about ordering a Willys or other Sport based models. Proximity Door Locks are offered for Sport based models like the Willys "but" you cannot order them for just the full doors. Jeep is forcing anyone who wants Proximity Door Locks on Sport or Willys models to buy the Dual Door Group to get the Proximity Locks.

The MT tires that come on the Willys are also louder and not nearly as good for daily driving. The Rubicon K02 AT are much better for daily driving, rain, snow. I loved the K02s on my '19 Rubicon. I daily drove it for 2.5 years in all kinds of weather including record snow here in Chicago.

I believe the Willys comes with the black grill but you can always change it out for about $300-$400. It's easy to do. You can have the dealer order the body colored grill and swap it out at delivery. Or you can easily find someone to trade the black grill for a body colored grill at no cost.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand you cannot. To remove it for painting will be a long tough job.
Grill replacement is a very popular DIY mod for Wranglers. People swap them all the time. There are usually like new take-offs for sale as a result.

Removing the grill is easy. Painted grills can probably be purchased from Mopar for a discount from a Mopar online retailer, eBay, dealer. Or you can have a body shop paint it.

I bet someone on this Forum would trade a Sting Gray or White for a black one from the Willys.

Link to some on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=JL+Jeep+WRangler+painted+grills&_sacat=33645

Last edited:

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't originally a fan of the black grill either, but after seeing it in person I've changed my opinion
It looks good on certain colors to me. Particularly on White. A lot of people with White will probably will have their grills painted or replaced over time because they are known to turn yellow over time. Something to do with painting on plastic or something? I think other colors can start turning yellow also but it not nearly as noticeable as white.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was thinking of a Willys also. I changed my mind after finding out a few things. My Willys build was only $3K cheaper than my Rubicon build because I wanted the same options. The Rubicon come standard with 8.4" Alpine, Proximity Doors. I don't want the MT tires that come on the Willys for daily driving. I wanted Proximity Door locks.

Know this about ordering a Willys or other Sport based models. Proximity Door Locks are offered for Sport based models like the Willys "but" you cannot order them for just the full doors. Jeep is forcing anyone who wants Proximity Door Locks on Sport or Willys models to buy the Dual Door Group to get the Proximity Locks.

The MT tires that come on the Willys are also louder and not nearly as good for daily driving. The Rubicon K02 AT are much better for daily driving, rain, snow. I loved the K02s on my '19 Rubicon. I daily drove it for 2.5 years in all kinds of weather including record snow here in Chicago.

I believe the Willys comes with the black grill but you can always change it out for about $300-$400. It's easy to do. You can have the dealer order the body colored grill and swap it out at delivery. Or you can easily find someone to trade the black grill for a body colored grill at no cost.
A few days ago a friend was told by her dealer that proximity locks aren't currently available due to supply chain issues.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few days ago a friend was told by her dealer that proximity locks aren't currently available due to supply chain issues.
I spoke with a few dealers. Proximity is available on limited builds. Only on more expensive builds. Proximity is standard equipment on Rubicon and I think Sahara. You can also get Proximity on a Sport based model "if" you order the Dual Door Group for a few grand more. It's a many grab for Jeep during the shortages.

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I spoke with a few dealers. Proximity is available on limited builds. Only on more expensive builds. Proximity is standard equipment on Rubicon and I think Sahara. You can also get Proximity on a Sport based model "if" you order the Dual Door Group for a few grand more.
Is that a change for '22? Proximity is/was a $695 option for Rubicons in '21.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that a change for '22? Proximity is/was a $695 option for Rubicons in '21.
Yes. 2022 Rubicon gets Proximity and 8.4" Alpine as no-charge standard equipment. Depending on options a 2022 can actually be cheaper than a 'like' 2021.

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I had the same reaction, it initially made me question the Willys. In person there are many other black accents and it works better than I thought it would pictured.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I feel like the black tops look better on the 2 door and the body color tops look better on the 4 door. Vibrant body color, black fenders, black top, 2 door is a very classic look.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Either way looks fantastic! You should go with whichever pleases you the most. I like shiny things so, body color tops it is.