Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
Looks awesome, how is it holding up to road debris And gravel hits
Great. Looks the same as the day I did it. I did put a lot of coats on though.
Sponsored

mrteak

First Name
MrTeak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Plastidip option is better on my JK i did the vinyl wrap first but when the stones hit it on the highway it put little chips in the vinyl causing it to see the white underneath so it had white specs on the grill, i then removed and put around 4-5 coats of plastidip and never had a spec of white show again, the plastidip holds up awesome to the damaging road stones

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Plastidip option is better on my JK i did the vinyl wrap first but when the stones hit it on the highway it put little chips in the vinyl causing it to see the white underneath so it had white specs on the grill, i then removed and put around 4-5 coats of plastidip and never had a spec of white show again, the plastidip holds up awesome to the damaging road stones
I plasti dipped my grill matte black with 6 coats and am not happy with the inconsistency in texture in places. Did you have this issue?

Sponsored

mrteak

First Name
MrTeak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I plasti dipped my grill matte black with 6 coats and am not happy with the inconsistency in texture in places. Did you have this issue?
No, I didn't, I had my buddy spray it since he works at a body shop.

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Did mine Tuesday. I used duplicor bedliner. It is a bit more textured, easier to clean and is flexible. I did my '13 when I first got it and it held up for 5 years before I traded it.

As someone said above, scuff the hell out of it first and clean it with alcohol before painting. Total cost $12.

bedline grill.jpg

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
That may work better for me, as I want the bottom lip to match body color, like the show models. Looks like I'll have to paint it myself, since it's all one piece.
Did you paint the bottom lip the body color? I have a billet silver jlus where the grill is 1 piece and would like to try and paint it matte black and tape off the bottom lip to be body color. I'm concerned that it may not look good using tape and their not being an actual gap between the lower lip and main part of the grill. Does this make sense?

Sponsored

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Anybody black out a Granite Sahara? Would love to see pics.

LouNYC

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody black out a Granite Sahara? Would love to see pics.
I am picking up my new Granite Sahara tomorrow. I am planning on having my grill and side mirrors vinyl wrapped in Carbon Fiber look. I will probably have done in a few weeks. I will keep you updated.

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Did you paint the bottom lip the body color? I have a billet silver jlus where the grill is 1 piece and would like to try and paint it matte black and tape off the bottom lip to be body color. I'm concerned that it may not look good using tape and their not being an actual gap between the lower lip and main part of the grill. Does this make sense?
I ended up liking the grille in Sting Gray, so I haven't attempted this. As long as you seal the tape down tight I would think it would be fine, but it may be difficult to get into that crevice. Previously I've used the edge of a credit card to seal the edge of the masking tape.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If that happened then you sprayed incorrectly. Warm the can up in hot water to make things easier, and put on light but even coats (the first 3) then you can go full coverage the next 5 coats.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I ended up liking the grille in Sting Gray, so I haven't attempted this. As long as you seal the tape down tight I would think it would be fine, but it may be difficult to get into that crevice. Previously I've used the edge of a credit card to seal the edge of the masking tape.
I am re plastidipping my jlus grill now and thought about taping off the outer lip, but dont think it will look great bc it's obvious that the grill is one piece.
Sponsored