Bike Rack Options??

RichieRugs

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
Looking for a rack (2 bikes minimum) that doesn’t interfere with the backup camera on a JL, and locks the bikes to avoid theft. Anybody have any good options?
Sponsored

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
42DCBE5B-FC76-4B44-82D0-B83FB1F29D54.jpeg
1upUSA rear cam with bikes.

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
So I just installed the Hitch receiver, mounted my trusty Kuat, was pleased that I cleared the spare (by a hair), then tried to open the rear gate, and... doh! No go.

I understand I need a hitch drop. The question is: do I need a big drop like the one in the picture (seems similar to this https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/MaxxTow/MT70070.html), or can I use the Kuat Hi Lo which only drops 2.5” or so (http://www.kuatracks.com/products/accessories/) in order to allow the rear gate to open?

Have been looking into this for a while. I narrowed it down to 1up and KuatNV.

1up USA
$529 - $639
Black color available. 2 + single add ons.
Up to 50 lb bikes with 46 lb rack weight
or up to 75 lb bikes with 47 lb rack weight (Super duty version)
One of the lighter racks. Very compact.
Anti-sway tech with lockable hitch.
Requires hitch extension to clear spare tire. (Most do for jeeps)

attachment.jpg

784662d1364302664-1up-quick-rack-quick-review-img_0604.jpg

282699_23699_L.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

KuatNV 2.0
$629
2 + 2 add ons.
Includes "field repair stand" and internal magnetic cable locks.
60 lb bike max.
Rack weight : Can't find but I recall reviews saying it was quite heavy.
Anti-sway tech with lockable hitch.
Requires hitch extension to clear spare tire.
Will not clear back unless drop hitch used.

P8200625.jpg

P8190403.jpg

No Clearance with stand straight hitch.

154_1106_02%2Bbike_rack_roundup%2Battaching_kuat_to_jeep.jpg

Drop hitch clears ok. (They sell this on their website as well).

attachment.jpg

Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
So I just installed the Hitch receiver, mounted my trusty Kuat, was pleased that I cleared the spare (by a hair), then tried to open the rear gate, and... doh! No go.

I understand I need a hitch drop. The question is: do I need a big drop like the one in the picture (seems similar to this https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/MaxxTow/MT70070.html), or can I use the Kuat Hi Lo which only drops 2.5” or so (http://www.kuatracks.com/products/accessories/) in order to allow the rear gate to open?
I'd contact Kuat and ask them. There's a pretty good chance they know the answer. Looking at your pictures though, it really looks like you need the bigger drop to clear.

I know you've already bought your rack, and the Kuat is a nice unit, but for anyone else out there looking, they should know that the 1up rack doesn't require a drop hitch to clear when opening the rear door; it tilts down to clear. Also, it's design has the best departure angle of any hitch rack that I've seen. You lose a little bit, but not much since the rack angles up so that each additional bike is a few inches higher than the previous one. Here's a picture showing what I mean.
BikeRack_Q.jpg

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Has anyone purchased the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 for their Wrangler... it's a bit lighter at 32 vs. 52 lbs? And costs a lot less. Would be acceptable if you only need a 2 bike carry with relatively light bikes.

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Has anyone purchased the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 for their Wrangler... it's a bit lighter at 32 vs. 52 lbs? And costs a lot less. Would be acceptable if you only need a 2 bike carry with relatively light bikes.
I almost bought the Sherpa, but ended up with the NV Base for the option to go 4 bikes and the matte black finish. If 2 bikes is your max and you'll end up taking it on and off throughout the week, definitely go with the Sherpa. Being a good deal lighter and built just as good you can't go wrong. Even with a drop hitch addition it's lighter than the NV's. I got some hands on time with the Sherpa and was very impressed.

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Thank you Jay... I really appreciate your perspective. YES, only 2 bikes and my 15 year old Thule is ready for replacement... wanted to avoid getting another 50 lb rack and the Sherpa seems to fit the bill.

NOW, if only I could get my 2-dr Sport S Wrangler - ordered 1/8 - life would be good!

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
Quick question Jay.

I see you have the 'new' JL Sahara 4-dr. Assuming the rear configuration is similar to the 'new' JL 2-dr wrangler (many are waiting for), does the Kaut fit appropriately on the back, i.e., without the need for an extension and the ability to open the rear door (assuming the bikes are off the rack) and the rack is tilting down?

many thanks....

Sponsored

A.B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
totalled 2007 JKU Sahara
For hitch mounted, I would go 1up. What I did for my JK, and will move over to my JL, is got a 2X6, cut to correct length to fit and attached fork mounts that I picked up from amazon. I keep whichever bike I'm riding inside the jeep. Protected from the weather and idiots.

deniska

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
The answer is NO. I have a Kuat NV 2.0. With the Draw-Tite Class III receiver, the rack mounts with less than 1mm room between th rack when collapsed and the rear view camera shell. In other words, it touches barely as there is a little play in the rack. When lowered, the rear door won’t open. I just ordered a hitch drop and will be able to report on the results next week.

Quick question Jay.

I see you have the 'new' JL Sahara 4-dr. Assuming the rear configuration is similar to the 'new' JL 2-dr wrangler (many are waiting for), does the Kaut fit appropriately on the back, i.e., without the need for an extension and the ability to open the rear door (assuming the bikes are off the rack) and the rack is tilting down?

many thanks....

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
That’s my biggest issue with hitch racks in the Wrangler. You can’t open the tailgate without a drop adapter. With that it works, but now you have to secure the drop hitch to the vehicle hitch and then the rack to the drop hitch...just too much stuff back there. And you need to make sure the drop hitch is rated for the weight you’re going to put it on it so don’t cheap out on that piece. For weight you’ll be looking at 55lbs for the rack, then 25-30lbs for each bike. If you do the add-on to carry 4 bikes then weight could reach 220lbs.

My plan is to carry the bike inside the Jeep. I think with the seats folded down, I could use a fork mount and put the bike inside. I’ve seen a few who’ve done this, so it should work. Plus then I do t have to worry about someone stealing my bike rack when I’m riding and then later someone stealing my bike when I’m having a post ride meal.

And...your rear parking sensors will go off when the rack is mounted, the rear camera is now obstructed, and it just becomes a pain keeping the rack on during the days you’re not using it to carry bikes. If you have the add-on for 4-bikes then taking that thing off is a workout. You’re pretty much lifting off 80lbs of bike rack and setting somewhere in your garage.

terrytnt

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB and BMW
So what's the point of a trailer hitch (that we all paid extra) if you can't put a bike rack on the back of a wrangler without extra extensions and issues with the backup camera! And this problem isn't going away, ALL NEW WRANGLERS WILL HAVE THIS ISSUE FOR YEARS TO COME.

This is crazy, some innovative business is going to figure this out and be very successful.
Sponsored