Bike rack options?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Yeah it’s too bad that no one makes a rack like that to accommodate the backup camera in the JL and JLU yet.
Right. You’d think they could make a rack that mounts to the lugs and incorporates a hole in the frame or some donut shape there to accommodate the camera.
Sponsored

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So I really want the Thule 963PRO bike rack--I like how I can just leave it on the Jeep. and like how it looks. So here is my thought:

Thule 963:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92025_0001_07.htm

This is what the camera looks like with the wheel off:
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? JL spare tire mount

That will need to be removed and the cover modified. Or who knows, maybe it wont need to be modified because the Thule rack has a mounting plate also:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? Thuleinstructions.PNG

Once the camera is removed, could use the JK camera relocation kit. A few brands of them exist, but Quadratec makes a cheap on the could work:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92025_0001_07.htm

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? 2.PNG

Once the camera was relocated, could attach the rack through the center of the spare tire...?

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? 963.PNG

Thoughts all?

JimR4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Altitude
I have the Yakima fullswing from my old grand Cherokee. Problem is the spare tire on my JL won’t clear the rack so I can’t open the back door now. Anyone know if a hitch extender will fix this issue? Any other options for a hitch mounted rack that can fit 4 bikes and open the back door?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Got the Inno Rack. Perfect fit.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sponsored

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
I have the Yakima fullswing from my old grand Cherokee. Problem is the spare tire on my JL won’t clear the rack so I can’t open the back door now. Anyone know if a hitch extender will fix this issue? Any other options for a hitch mounted rack that can fit 4 bikes and open the back door?
Thule Apex Swing. They have a 4 and 5 bike option. We have had a for 4 probably for the past decade and it's going strong. I use a 2" hi-low extension on mine. Only complaint is it's heavy to lift, but once it's on that's not a problem.

JimR4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Altitude
What’s your extension?
Thule Apex Swing. They have a 4 and 5 bike option. We have had a for 4 probably for the past decade and it's going strong. I use a 2" hi-low extension on mine. Only complaint is it's heavy to lift, but once it's on that's not a problem.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks great! You can’t open the tailgate with the bike rack mounted though, correct?
Yes. Correct. Not an ideal situation.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Allen Sports 322DN
spare tire mount for 2 bikes $79

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? FB36639E-5F5D-4773-8FF0-0918224D2CB0

as mounted on my JL Rubicon over spare tire cover above.
Optical illusion... for a second there, it looked like you had a drag slick on your bicycle. Brings new meaning to the term "fat bike."

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
I recently purchased the Quadratec platform style 2-bike tilting rack. Kinda wish I hadn't.

In terms of quality, fit and finish, it's great. Quadratec stuff is usually really great quality, and this was no exception. It's a quality product.

I have 2 complaints:
  1. Even with the tilt feature, you still have to remove at least the inner bike (closest to the spare tire) to be able to open the tailgate. If I have to remove a bike to open the tailgate, then what good is the tilt feature really even giving me? A swing-away version would be better.
  2. The hole for the hitch pin is threaded, and you have to use the included hitch pin bolt. It's great for eliminating any hitch rattling, but all you need is a 3/4" wrench (or crescent wrench) to steal the rack. There's no way to add a lock to the hitch.
I wanted to get a swing-away rack, but thanks to our good friend COVID-19, bikes and bike accessories are really hard to come by these days. I needed a solution, the Quadratec rack was in stock (and a name I trust), so I went with it.

Shortcomings aside, it's a great rack. But I think I'll put an order in for a swing-away version and get it when they're available.

Anyone in the Seattle area looking for a tilting bike rack? Aside from the above complaints, it's brand new and does its job great.
Sponsored