First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Personally, I don't think an 8k is adequate anymore unless you want to snatch block everytime. JL's have several models with gross vehicle weight ratings over 6k. When people start upgrading with aftermarket stuff you are getting too close to 8k for me to be comfortable, unless you are on a flat level surface.
Haha, if you are on a flat level surface, a 150 lbs person can push a 6,000+ lbs rig. You don't even need a winch for that.
Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I’ve had good luck with Smittybilt. Quality product at a reasonable cost. I’m a fan of synthetic line-wire has a different set of issues. Nothings perfect but I feel safer using the synthetic line.

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had good luck with Smittybilt. Quality product at a reasonable cost. I’m a fan of synthetic line-wire has a different set of issues. Nothings perfect but I feel safer using the synthetic line.
Here my smitty have used 4 years no problems

39968C86-F578-4036-B257-D2219D2F86F3.jpeg

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have a warn m8000 with 100' syn-line for my jl. its more than enough. i also have a snatch ring if i need to double up to 16k#.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-Winch...l&qid=1647229397&sprefix=xbull,aps,153&sr=8-6
X-bull 10k has been solid for 2+ years. Works every time I hit the button on the wireless remote. We wheel a heavy JLUR on 38's, winch has had no issue pulling us out of bumper deep, thick mud even when the nearest tree only left 3 wraps on the drum. We carry 2 snatch blocks just in case, never had to use either one yet. At $350 you can't go wrong. Any tool can fail, why spend more than necessary for a false sense of security?

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-Winch-Synthetic-Winch-10000-Capacity/dp/B08RYV6DLW/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=1W8WL1OXJCQ67&keywords=xbull&qid=1647229397&sprefix=xbull,aps,153&sr=8-6
X-bull 10k has been solid for 2+ years. Works every time I hit the button on the wireless remote. We wheel a heavy JLUR on 38's, winch has had no issue pulling us out of bumper deep, thick mud even when the nearest tree only left 3 wraps on the drum. We carry 2 snatch blocks just in case, never had to use either one yet. At $350 you can't go wrong. Any tool can fail, why spend more than necessary for a false sense of security?
Nice find. Bully products has been around for decades, so I wouldn’t think they’d want their brand on junk.

The Badland winch is used by that guy on YouTube with the yellow Cherokee. Don’t know how many pulls I’ve seen that make.

Light duty winches are one of those thing that have gotten better with time. In the 80s and 90s you better know how to trouble shoot one almost every time you needed it. The choices then were huge Warns, Mile Markers and Ramseys. They always needed something, they were super heavy and the steel cables were hell on everything.

Reactions: J0E

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
My issue with the Apex was that it was in the same price range of more established brands.

I got lucky. Don't remember the exact price but my apex was under $400. The synthetic line and hook are worth half of that.

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek

Sponsored

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler unlimited willy’s
So .. i had thought important to get a winch thats able to use on rear mount as well as front .. i see the Xbull has a hitch mount carrier available- yet what about the wiring ?? ... i needed to be winched out from deeper snow than I anticipated recently and was only able to pull me out from rear .. so as I frequently am out on my own .. a rear mount winch would been vital .. any suggestions ? Or do all as well mount for rear also ?
im still running around with stock bumpers- so needing to purchase for winch use ..ugg..

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I have spent a couple of hours reading threads, and my eyes are hurting. Fatigue is kicking in. And, a JL has different needs than a JLU, which most of the comments refer to.

8k-10k #, for an infrequent off-roader (so far?)...what winch is reliable enough, yet affordable enough? You know...best bang for the buck? Warn is pretty proud of their stuff, even though they aren't the only reliable winch manu in the biz. I don't give a flip about the name plate, as long as the darned thing works.

I am trying to prioritize my mod list (aluminum bumpers, winch, muffler), and cost has to be considered...

I went with the Rough Country 9500S from eBay, it was around $500 I think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363187106557?epid=21017021603&hash=item548fa372fd:g:ISIAAOSwv5phadoN

Jeep Wrangler JL Best value winch? Winch

Reactions: J0E

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got the Smitty XRC Gen2 9500 a couple years ago, 4wp (going thru Amazon) had it for $274. The price on these fluctuates like gasoline, it was a low of 270 to a high of 380. They're about 320 now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXS3BXI
Used it about 20 times, mainly for shrub removal and pulling dead vehicles to a safe place, only one recovery. Winch pulls strong, easy to use and never seems to struggle. 5yr warranty on the unit w/ some parts having lifetime coverage (I'd be lying if I knew what parts those are though).

EDIT~Lifetime mechanical warranty, 5yr electrical warranty

I used to have a Ramsey winch on my CJ5 and that was a beastly machine, not sure how Ramseys are these days but they sure had a solid reputation back in the day :)

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
I cannot with a clear conscience recommend X-bull winches to my fellow jeepers. Their customer service is non existence and here is what happened to my clutch within 2 months of ownership.

Attachments

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I cannot with a clear conscience recommend X-bull winches to my fellow jeepers. Their customer service is non existence and here is what happened to my clutch within 2 months of ownership.
Damn! Where do you live, next to a smelter???
Sponsored