Sponsored

Best place to live?

fitzman49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 JLU Sahara
What about New Hampshire? We have basically everything you're looking for minus the low humidity in the summer. No sales tax and no income tax here so it's affordable if you're renting. If you're buying it's still pretty affordable especially if you live farther north in the state. I live near the seacoast area of the state so I'm about 30 min from the beach, an hour and a half from the White Mountains (tons of hiking, camping, offroading trails), and hour and a half from Boston. We also have relatively good schools up here depending on what town you're in. I'd definitely consider it if you're looking to stay on the east coast.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Wow, you're old.
Many of the rocks around Moab these days didn't used to be there....I know! Did you get this pic from your JLU? If not you'll just have to go back.

TitanFromTopofthe World.jpg

Sponsored

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
Tahoe
It's in the middle of the mountains with many trails. (Including the Rubicon)
Beautiful, clear Lake Tahoe.
If you don't like the CA taxes, go to the NV part.
You must visit it before you decide.

rlaracue

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
UTAH, MT, WY or ID.

UTAH is my front runner bc I am tech but they are all flat out beautiful. CO is great and stunning but traffic and pollution in Denver is nuts. Boulder is lovely and a bit less nuts vs Denver. CO is also closing 4x4 car/suv trails left and right. It is honestly better for the environment but in some cases its just anti 4x4 pressure.

The challenge with mountain states is that very wealthy people from CA have flocked to many of them. This drives up RE prices, creates demand for McMansions and traffic.

However they all have charming cities and towns where hyper growth has not yet overrun things. Ideally people spread out more and don't overwhelm one area. The country is a big place and there is still lots of open space to settle in.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35398

UTAH, MT, WY or ID.

UTAH is my front runner bc I am tech but they are all flat out beautiful. CO is great and stunning but traffic and pollution in Denver is nuts. Boulder is lovely and a bit less nuts vs Denver. CO is also closing 4x4 car/suv trails left and right.
Why do you think that is? TOO MANY PEOPLE! These States can’t absorb everyone who wants to experience “a Rocky Mountain High.” You all are part of the problem.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’m looking for the best place to move my family...
Needs:
Trails (with rocks) for Jeeps, mountain bikes, and hiking.
Clean, clear lakes and rivers for swimming and kayaking.
Snow to snowboard/ski.
Enough sun and warmth but not humidity.
Trees.
Actual mountains.
...I’ve lived all over but haven’t found that forever place.
Maybe, I’m just a gypsy.
I’m biased, but CO has every one of those.

Sounds like CO has everything you want. Well maybe not as much sun but it checks off 90% of your list.
330+ days a year in Denver is not enough?
You may be right. But where?
I’ve lived in Black Forest, before the fires, and worked in Colorado Springs. Not far enough away from city life.
Where in Colorado?
You may be right. But where?
I’ve lived in Black Forest, before the fires, and worked in Colorado Springs. Not far enough away from city life.
Where in Colorado?
I just had the opportunity to move anywhere in the US and keep my job. Denver was my choice due to a slightly different set of criteria. They only thing I’m not a fan of here is how crowded it is. It’s not a huge city, it’s just that it’s exploded so fast in the last 10 years that infrastructure hasn’t had a chance to catch up yet.

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Tahoe
It's in the middle of the mountains with many trails. (Including the Rubicon)
Beautiful, clear Lake Tahoe.
If you don't like the CA taxes, go to the NV part.
You must visit it before you decide.
Hard to beat the Tahoe area, I've heard Spark's NV is a pretty nice place.

Sponsored

Backpack

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S, 2023 MINI Cooper SE
Hard to beat the Tahoe area, I've heard Spark's NV is a pretty nice place.
Sparks, Carson City, and Reno all are nice. You can even go into the mountains and look at Incline Village.

Im considering a few opportunities there and in surrounding areas, now. Our only reservation is the legal prostitution and having kids. We’re not sure how openly advertised it may be. Out-of-sight would be tolerable.
I’ve never noticed the legal prostitution and not even sure it exists in the Reno area. If it does, I’ve never noticed. Unless someone is trying to find it, I don’t think you have to worry about it.

How is the Health Care situation in Reno?
I’ve never had to use it when I visited so can’t really comment. The RenOWN system seems pretty prevalent with many facilities. I’ve never heard anything negative from locals I’ve talked with when there.

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Southeastern Utah, On the San Rafael swell.
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2010 Ford Raptor
Well I would tell you where I live with all you ask for except we locals are already hating all of the tourists and dare I say it, the out of staters and even in staters from the city. The highway in front of my farm looks like a trash dump on holiday weekends. The tourists buy very little except for gas as they usually haul everything they need with them except for trash bags Found a stone that had stood for 1500 years with pictographs tipped over and used for a drive ramp up from their camp. I used two 35 gallon trash bags just for the beer cans. Yes we have clean mountain lakes but the river coming down the canyon was found to have the highest contamination from human feces in the state (our drinking water) from dumping RV's before they left their camp site. No I don't live in Moab, I live about an hours drive north on the San Rafael Swell. I have talked to ranchers and friends south of Moab and they have the same type of problems. So if a local does not seem thrilled to see you there maybe a reason for it Sorry, I am just an old farmer/rancher from southeastern Utah.

Last edited:

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
I don't understand all the bad reports about Connecticut. I lived there for many years, and I can tell you this----they have the best politicians that money can buy.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well I would tell you where I live with all you ask for except we locals are already hating all of the tourists and dare I say it, the out of staters and even in staters from the city. The highway in front of my farm looks like a trash dump on holiday weekends. The tourists buy very little except for gas as they usually haul everything they need with them except for trash bags Found a stone that had stood for 1500 years with pictographs tipped over and used for a drive ramp up from their camp. I used two 35 gallon trash bags just for the beer cans. Yes we have clean mountain lakes but the river coming down the canyon was found to have the highest contamination from human feces in the state (our drinking water) from dumping RV's before they left their camp site. No I don't live in Moab, I live about an hours drive north on the San Rafael Swell. I have talked to ranchers and friends south of Moab and they have the same type of problems. So if a local does not seem thrilled to see you there maybe a reason for it Sorry, I am just an old farmer/rancher from southeastern Utah.
Wow, that is so sad. The two times we visited Moab (and fell in love with it and the surrounding area) I talked to locals and could tell that some of them weren't too happy and I can see why. I tried to stress the appreciation we had for the area and that I'm sure they were most likely tired of the way things were headed and that seemed to soften them up to a conversation about living there and what to expect.
As noted we are moving out that way so we tried to educate ourselves as much as possible. We talked to a business owner/developer in Moab and he said that the reality is Moab is turning into a Veil CO situation where the very wealthy are starting to flock there. The thing is some of the locals were acknowledging that but also saying that there are people living in their cars because there is no affordable housing. I was shocked at that one and they said that is why there is a moratorium on building until they can figure out how to handle this boom. The only permits granted now are for low income housing builds but as you can imagine there isn't much money in that so I don't think there is any of that type of building going on.
Being out there a few weeks ago gave us a real taste of the town out of season. It's mostly only locals at that point and we could tell. We went into the diner and I swear we were the only people who didn't know someone... lol.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Right there with ya, John. I can walk to 495 from my house but probably wouldn’t make it because of the drivers up here.
Crazy, isn't it?! Alexandria has gotten so bad....
Sponsored