Best knock-off mod ever?

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I know there are definitely times to buy the real deal, but just like harbor freight , every once in awhile you can find some good stuff for cheap-whereas some of it lives up to the chinese made junk you expect.

What's the best knock-off mod you ever bought for your jeep that surprised your expectations?

I recall buying some knock off steel grab bars for my jk that were solid and 1/4 the price as the name brand ones. I think it was $50 for the set and the real ones were $200.
Sponsored

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I know there are definitely times to buy the real deal, but just like harbor freight , every once in awhile you can find some good stuff for cheap-whereas some of it lives up to the chinese made junk you expect.

What's the best knock-off mod you ever bought for your jeep that surprised your expectations?

I recall buying some knock off steel grab bars for my jk that were solid and 1/4 the price as the name brand ones. I think it was $50 for the set and the real ones were $200.
The $5 Amazon stainless door pins are just as good as the $40 Kentrol versions.

The GPCA grab handles are shit and not worth it even if free. Buy the legit Mopar ones or a good brand as if they tear while hoisting yourself up on them it hurts, and potentially kills.

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
The $5 Amazon stainless door pins are just as good as the $40 Kentrol versions.

The GPCA grab handles are shit and not worth it even if free. Buy the legit Mopar ones or a good brand as if they tear while hoisting yourself up on them it hurts, and potentially kills.
^^^
I don't skimp on grab handles, (at least the nylon ones) ANYMORE. Bought some for my tj, they seemed great and my kids could practically hang on them. Several months later, and after some AZ hot months, my son grabbed on and the nylon tore. He landed on his back, inches from a large rock. Could've been bad. The nylon was super brittle. The only "soft" handles I use now are braided paracord. I prefer the steel ones on my jk. The jl has handles now so that's nice, tho they aren't directly above but its still nice.

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Sweet! Any issues with the install or any rattling? I've been wanting one but not for 200.

The table shows unavailable right now on that link, ill have to do some searching:(
The first one they sent was crap had to send it back the second one was in much better shape the only issue is it only uses three mounting holes instead of four but you could drill that out easily I didn’t bother as the three will be enough for what I use it for

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
My wife ordered these knock-off Mopar side steps from Amazon. $130 vs $320 .. I haven't seen the Mopar version up close, but besides these being a shade greyer and rougher plastic than the fender flares, they look factory (who can tell when it's covered in dirt?). They feel plenty solid in use.
steps.jpg

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My wife ordered these knock-off Mopar side steps from Amazon. $130 vs $320 .. I haven't seen the Mopar version up close, but besides these being a shade greyer and rougher plastic than the fender flares, they look factory (who can tell when it's covered in dirt?). They feel plenty solid in use.
steps.jpg

It's all made in china anyway......lol.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
There's a bunch of these so I'm not sure if it's this exact one but I got one of these knock off fuel doors. It doesn't say Jeep and there's a small amount of play in the fit but otherwise I'm happy.

upload_2020-1-28_12-52-6.png

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's a bunch of these so I'm not sure if it's this exact one but I got one of these knock off fuel doors. It doesn't say Jeep and there's a small amount of play in the fit but otherwise I'm happy.

upload_2020-1-28_12-52-6.png

Yup got mine with a star on it...only paid 2 bucks more.

Gas Army Star.jpg