Sponsored

Knock offs vs brand name parts

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure everyone would want to install the brand name OEM parts but since they're expensive, there are cheaper options. Has anyone gone with the cheaper option and regretted it?

I'm thinking of getting a tailgate table. I seem them on Amazon for under $100 and there's the Mopar version for $200.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@Jeepney18

I'm going to classify "parts" into two basic categories.

The first, and not your intention, are the FCA/MOPAR ones you demand a collision place use to make your JL whole again after an accident.

In that case, yes, MOPAR/FCA is the way to go.

Then, the second definition of parts I'm going to define as accessories/gear/toys.

In this second case, by no means, and very often MOPAR is NOT the best outfit to acquire merchandise from. You're apt to pay more and get less.

Some examples.

If you're looking for a workhorse of a roof rack you just don't use MOPAR's roof rails for the hard top; you buy an aftermarket rack.

Want headliners: most people think Hot Heads brand are substantially better than the MOPAR ones. This is a new endless list others could add to of how the aftermarket delivers better quality; from axles to lockers to door handles (e.g. GPCA) many vendors are just head and shoulders better than MOPARS wares.

As far as tailgate tables go, it's not an area I can speak to. But I can tell you that you can get a table on the cheap, which uses a tire as its distal two table legs.

..and you're correct: there's plenty of stuff on Amazon for the JL that's just complete junk.

Good luck. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I'm sure everyone would want to install the brand name OEM parts but since they're expensive, there are cheaper options. Has anyone gone with the cheaper option and regretted it?

I'm thinking of getting a tailgate table. I seem them on Amazon for under $100 and there's the Mopar version for $200.
Here is how I'd look at it. What does it have to do? Unfold and hold your beer. It's not going to effect your on or offroad performance so it shouldn't be a big deal. Same goes for stuff like grab handles or floor mats. There's no reason to always go with a "name" brand item. Now, if you were to buy a some Chinese lower control arms for your lift, then we might start running into problems. But as with anything on Amazon, read the reviews to see what people have to say.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with the folks above. If it has anything to do with the running works of your Jeep, you definitely don't want to go on the cheap. But, things like the table, if ordered from a reputable company would be fine. By reputable company I refer to one that will stand behind what they sell, and have a record of good customer service. Companies like forum vendors have a stake in the game, and tend to be the ones I order from. They don't want to risk their reputation in the Jeep community by doing something stupid. Keep in mind many are just "drop ship" companies that take your order, and then get the item shipped by the manufacturer.

SnoShoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK, 2019 JLUR
Concur... stay away from cheap knock offs for anything important to performance or recovery!

There’s another side to this story...

Consider this, a number of these “cheaper” options come at a different cost. They keep costs low buy simply replicating others proven engineering (I.e. steal others ideas) and build with cheap materials and lower quality control standards.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
For factory replacement parts the JL is so new that the third party OEM parts are not there yet. But as a model grows older the the OEM part seller will sell the part directly and you can under cut the Mopar premium price tag. Crown and omix ada tend to buy the molds from fca and produce the parts after the model changes or just but the OEM parts from the OEM suppliers to sell.

For aftermarket performance parts, there is a flood of cheap Chinese parts and many name brands just sell those. And usually the more quality materials and more said materials used (i.e. thicker bumpers) the higher the price.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Unless it is purely cosmetic (no functioning parts), I stick with the reputable sites: Extreme Terrain, Quadratec, CJ. Customer service has been good to me on all those sites. And I feel they wouldn't sell any junk knock-off?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

if your looking for a good fold down table there is a company out here in socal that is getting ready to release there tabel verison of the JL. its an up and coming company that seems to have pretty high standards. they are in product with tailgate flat covers that get rid of the ridges of the stock tail gates for the overland hype. I am waiting for the release of those myself to pick one up at try it out!. company is called mountainhatch.org check them out!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
if your looking for a good fold down table there is a company out here in socal that is getting ready to release there tabel verison of the JL. its an up and coming company that seems to have pretty high standards. they are in product with tailgate flat covers that get rid of the ridges of the stock tail gates for the overland hype. I am waiting for the release of those myself to pick one up at try it out!. company is called mountainhatch.org check them out!
Interesting... any idea when they're coming out?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Interesting... any idea when they're coming out?
let me send an email out and ask them. i havent looked in a couple weeks.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Unless it is purely cosmetic (no functioning parts), I stick with the reputable sites: Extreme Terrain, Quadratec, CJ. Customer service has been good to me on all those sites. And I feel they wouldn't sell any junk knock-off?
Extreme terrain's house brand barricade is just cheep Chinese knock offs

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC

There are a lot of options for tailgate tables out there (obviously, we make one of them). In general....you get what you pay for. Before you jump at that bargain table (or even that expensive one).....here is some food for thought.

1) What features do you want to see in a table? MOLLE attachments? Prep surface? Storage?

I can think of 4 distinctly different quality tables that would be great for one need but no so good in the other fields. But if you really want a table for lockable storage....then there is really only one out there for you. Pull out "prep" table....the same (at least only one good choice).

2) Does the table have quality materials? Quality fabrication?

You can figure that most companies have at least a 100% (most times much more) markup over their cost. If you see a table for less than $100....and its made outside of the USA. The cost of the materials/fabrication is probably less than 25%. I'll let you do the math but I would wager that the materials and/or fabrication are crap.

3) Think about the potential of rattles.....

I do, a lot actually. If the table is held up by a simple push pin or a non adjustable clamp....or has no realistic dampening system. It's gonna rattle or vibrate....probably, the most irritating thing that you can have happen while out in the rough, and they are hard to track down.

4) Is it serviceable?

If something breaks or wears out....can you replace the parts? Does someone answer the emails when you have a problem?

I have inspected almost every table system that is available for Jeeps/overlanding....the market is very competitive so no one is really making huge amounts of profit over what they are selling.
Its a buyers market but the reality is that you are gonna get the quality that you pay for.

Inexpensive stuff has a price attached to it....it just is not measured in $$.

Doc
Sponsored