Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If I hookup the battery tender to the main battery will that charge the aux battery? This is for my early 2018 JL, I think some changes have been made throughout the years. Any pictures you have would help with routing for clean installs.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yes, it will. Main and Aux are always linked except during engine starts.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Yes. Search the forum on Battery for excellent advice and info about your question.

OP
OP
Cthehentz

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, there are like ten billion X infinity worth of articles on here so I chose the simpleton approach and asked. Almost need a locked write up for these basics without ten trillion replies lol...

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
It does help, but only if your Jeep tends to sit for a long period of time and/or make a lot of short trips with your AC/heat blasting. If I notice that the ESS does not come on (as it needs charging), that is usually a good time to use a tender.

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
If I hookup the battery tender to the main battery will that charge the aux battery? This is for my early 2018 JL, I think some changes have been made throughout the years. Any pictures you have would help with routing for clean installs.
I use the NOCO10 as my Jeep is not a DD. Put it on the AGM setting and let it do it's thing. Works great and simple to use.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
When hooking up the battery tender (I also use a NOCO10). There was a lot of discussion about where to hookup the Negative. I apologize to the originator of this photo for not remembering and being able to provide proper credit.
When using a battery tender/maintainer the tender/maintainers red clamp goes to Main Battery Pos. terminal and the tender/maintainers black clamp goes to either #5 or #6 in the picture below. #6 is a a larger diameter threaded stud so I go with #6.
The reason for this was that if you hookup to #7 it could cause problems for the IBS system.
Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Tender 1655301764205

Last edited:

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I hookup the neg at the grounding bolt on the engine housing. Which, I think, is the same as hooking up to #5 or #6, which ever goes to the frame.
Sponsored