DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is justr over 3 years old and my experience with OEM batteries over the years has been that they last between 3 and 5 years.

My JL batteries have performed well, thankfully, with no issues. So they may actually make it to 5. And I don't use the ESS, at all, so maybe that has helped. But I'm prepared at any time for one or both to go belly up. I intend to replace the big battery with a Northstar (Batteries Plus XG2 Premium made by Northstar, but with a better warranty). Pretty sure they have a suitable replacement.

But my question is about the small battery. Is there a pure lead AGM to replace it, such as by Northstar or Odyssey? I don't want that little sucker to be the weak link. @Rhinebeck01 or others, do you know if they offer one in that small size?

I've got a Northstar (XG2) in my JK and it has performed brilliantly. MUCH better than the OEM or DuraLast Golds it has had. (Had to replace a Duralast Gold that choked out early, so not impressed) It has been especially good for extended running of accessories, lights, and for winching. I don't think I've ever probed its limits.

Meanwhile, the OEM batts in my JL soldier on. It will be interesting to see if they make it to 5 years. If they do, I may go ahead and replace them at that point as a maintenance item, figuring I got lucky.

One more thing. Since I have the FCA lifetime warranty, I want to keep the factory battery set up so as no future electrical failures can be blamed on battery mods, so unfortunately, those ideas are non starters.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My Jeep is justr over 3 years old and my experience with OEM batteries over the years has been that they last between 3 and 5 years.

My JL batteries have performed well, thankfully, with no issues. So they may actually make it to 5. And I don't use the ESS, at all, so maybe that has helped. But I'm prepared at any time for one or both to go belly up. I intend to replace the big battery with a Northstar (Batteries Plus XG2 Premium made by Northstar, but with a better warranty). Pretty sure they have a suitable replacement.

But my question is about the small battery. Is there a pure lead AGM to replace it, such as by Northstar or Odyssey? I don't want that little sucker to be the weak link. @Rhinebeck01 or others, do you know if they offer one in that small size?

I've got a Northstar (XG2) in my JK and it has performed brilliantly. MUCH better than the OEM or DuraLast Golds it has had. (Had to replace a Duralast Gold that choked out early, so not impressed) It has been especially good for extended running of accessories, lights, and for winching. I don't think I've ever probed its limits.

Meanwhile, the OEM batts in my JL soldier on. It will be interesting to see if they make it to 5 years. If they do, I may go ahead and replace them at that point as a maintenance item, figuring I got lucky.

One more thing. Since I have the FCA lifetime warranty, I want to keep the factory battery set up so as no future electrical failures can be blamed on battery mods, so unfortunately, those ideas are non starters.
@DanW

Very little out there in regard to an Aux battery replacement..

IF I were to replace the Aux on my JL today, I would go with the DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA Part # AUX14-1 .

There are a handful of others out there but this Diehard offering seems to be the pick of the litter right now.... that's not saying much though..

No, no Odyssey or Northstar replacement for the Aux that I am aware of..

As for the life span of the stock batteries(2), it is a real crap shoot. A game that I will not play..

I considered myself very lucky to have gotten 3 yrs out of the Main battery before I opted to change it before it had issues / before it died and left me stranded somewhere (I interstate travel lots) .... so, I replaced the Main with a Northstar.

As you and many other's here know, I do not use/run with the Aux battery so my stock Aux just sits in it's cradle... sits doing nothing, acting as a backup if I were to ever need it. I do maintain it with a battery maintainer..

For those that have not seen my dual battery set-up ..... the set-up that has me running with just the Main, you can read more / see, etc. here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/post-1340536 .

NO, my setup, is not one of those pricey $2000+ aftermarket affairs... I am not foolish enough to go that route/spend that kind of $ with my type of vehicle usage..

Here is a pic of my set-up..

Jeep Wrangler JL Battery Replacement Question for the Experts Meterin

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

Very little out there in regard to an Aux battery replacement..

IF I were to replace the Aux on my JL today, I would go with the DieHard Platinum AGM Battery, BCI Group Size 400, 200 CCA Part # AUX14-1 .

There are a handful of others out there but this Diehard offering seems to be the pick of the litter right now.... that's not saying much though..

No, no Odyssey or Northstar replacement for the Aux that I am aware of..

As for the life span of the stock batteries(2), it is a real crap shoot. A game that I will not play..

I considered myself very lucky to have gotten 3 yrs out of the Main battery before I opted to change it before it had issues / before it died and left me stranded somewhere (I interstate travel lots) .... so, I replaced the Main with a Northstar.

As you and many other's here know, I do not use/run with the Aux battery so my stock Aux just sits in it's cradle... sits doing nothing, acting as a backup if I were to ever need it. I do maintain it with a battery maintainer..

For those that have not seen my dual battery set-up ..... the set-up that has me running with just the Main, you can read more / see, etc. here... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/post-1340536 .

NO, my setup, is not one of those pricey $2000+ aftermarket affairs... I am not foolish enough to go that route/spend that kind of $ with my type of vehicle usage..

Here is a pic of my set-up..

Metering.jpg

That's a helluva sweet setup!

I wonder if we'll see more options on that aux battery? The market grows with every new JL/JT sold. There are probably, what, 500-600k on the road now? Maybe more?

I may go ahead and swap out the big one before Moab at the end of March, for peace of mind.

If the aux fails, can it strand you if the big battery is still good?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just looked up the little Die-Hard. I'm surprised only a 1 year replacement warranty on that little bugger, being an AGM, even if on the low end of the AGM spectrum.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a helluva sweet setup!

I wonder if we'll see more options on that aux battery? The market grows with every new JL/JT sold. There are probably, what, 500-600k on the road now? Maybe more?

I may go ahead and swap out the big one before Moab at the end of March, for peace of mind.

If the aux fails, can it strand you if the big battery is still good?
@DanW

Sure, you will see new Aux battery offerings in the future...

Were I you, no friggin way would I go to Moab with that 3 yr. old Main of yours... no way.

Also no way I would go with that 2018, if it did not have the TSB 18-092-19 applied. (Power Control Update) performed a head of time.

No way I would go to Moab without a spare/ the correct Mopar Z Case Fuse Array in the glove box and an N1-N2 jumper in the glove box.

Do your homework on this stuff, Dan.... Yes, that JL of yours, as it is, will leave you stranded if that Aux craps out and some other scenarios...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just looked up the little Die-Hard. I'm surprised only a 1 year replacement warranty on that little bugger, being an AGM, even if on the low end of the AGM spectrum.
Worry less about the Aux..... get a decent Main and learn how to set-up.... to run with... just the Main in case / when the Aux, chitts the bed.. Get the TSB mentioned performed on your 2018, have the proper fuse array and also the N1-N2 jumper.... and know how to use...

By the way... I am far far far away from being an "Expert" in regard to batteries......

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Talk about longevity I just replaced the original battery (getting weak) in my 2013 mb C-250 sport. It lasted over 8 years. It was called a (VARGA). Wanted to replace with same battery but couldn’t find it. Must be a German brand for own in Germany.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Worry less about the Aux..... get a decent Main and learn how to set-up.... to run with... just the Main in case / when the Aux, chitts the bed.. Get the TSB mentioned performed on your 2018, have the proper fuse array and also the N1-N2 jumper.... and know how to use...

By the way... I am far far far away from being an "Expert" in regard to batteries......
Does that TSB apply to the manual transmission version? What exactly does it do?

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

You've forgotten more than I ever knew about batteries, LOL!

So I need to find the parts I need to bypass that aux if it croaks.

I think I'm going to go ahead and make an appointment for March 20 or so for that TSB. That way, if the new manual transmission PCM recall update comes out, I can kill 2 birds with one stone before the trip. I'll also go ahead and get that Northstar (XG2) in there. I may go ahead and grab the Die-Hard, too.

Best way I've seen to get to the little battery is through the fender liner. Is that how you got to yours, or did you take everything apart and go in from the top?

Also, would you be able to link the thread(s) on the fuses and N1-N2 jumper? I want to gather up everything I need, X2, because my brother is coming, too, with his Gladiator.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does that TSB apply to the manual transmission version? What exactly does it do?
@DanW

A past post I made....

Urgent: FCA has an update in regard to this TSB. It is TSB 18-092-19. IF, you own a 2018 JL, you will definitely want this update!

Why..... as now, (18-041-18 Rev. B, did not include) along with fixing the hi rev issue, TSB 18-092-19, addresses how the JL deals with a depleted Aux battery. Without this pcm update, if the 2018's, Aux battery is depleted, the 2018, JL will not try to start.

With this pcm update, the 2018 will try to start, fail, but will start on the 2nd attempt so you are not left stranded / no start scenario.

2019 and newer JL's left the factory with this pcm update.

Again if you have a 2018 JL and it has not had this update, do get it done.

IF, your JL has over 36,000 miles and your regular warranty is finished, the dealer can do this update on your JL for free as the update is covered under the longer power train warranty..

Read here, BEFORE you go to dealer asking for the update:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/my-dealer-won’t-flash-my-2018-wrangler-pcm.66199/post-1401777

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so tell them about the loud fan. Bummer. I actually didn't mind that on the assumption that it provided more air flow and better cooling. Plus, when the air is on like that, I always have windows up anyway and don't really hear it.

Oh well, it is worth it for prevention of getting stranded by that crappy little battery.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

Use a 20 amp fuse
jumper.jpeg
You are a Godsend, buddy! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this and all the other great help you've given in the past! You may have saved my ass and we'll never know it! Lol!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are a Godsend, buddy! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this and all the other great help you've given in the past! You may have saved my ass and we'll never know it! Lol!
Thank @Jebiruph and do search out all his ESS related posts...

Thanks largely to Jerry, I am up to speed somewhat on this stuff...

....but evenJerry and I have found we learn more each day.. there is a lot to it so to speak..

Thanks to Jerry, I have my Dual Battery Monitoring set-up on my JL.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Applies to any and all 2018 JL/JLU's.... do know that some 2018's that were assembled at the factory, very late in the production year / 2018 , may already have this PCM update.
Sponsored