Battery dead for second time in 3 weeks

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
This is 2nd time in 3 weeks I have dead battery. 3 weeks ago I went to work parked my vehicle in our multi-story parking lot for 9 hours. Came back to the car after work and realized the battery was completely dead. Left the Rubicon in the garage overnight, attempted to have road side assistance come in and help the next day. They came and guy brought in little jumper box, maybe good enough to charge my Samsung galaxy s10 plus with 4000mah battery. That was complete fail and wasted 2 hours waiting for him. Called Jeep again to get a tow-truck to come get it. The tow-truck companies all refused since its multistory garage, no tow company wanted to come in due to height restrictions. Private tow companies also refused, eventually I had one guy show up and he jumped started it so I can get it out of the garage. Thankfully that worked, $125 later, I was on my way to local dealer. Got the battery replaced, no loaner of-course, since car was not purchased there. This incident happened 3 weeks ago.

Fast forward to today, I have not driven the car for about week as I was out of town. Get to vehicle and battery dead again. I never owned a jeep and this is getting annoying honestly. The car is 6 months old with 3,700 miles and has electrical issues. Anyone know what might be the problem? The only thing I have connected to it,is black-vue dual dashcam and battery pack. The battery pack kills all power to camera after not having enough charge. Prior to owning the Wrangler, I had a 2016 bmw and it never had issues with this setup. Any help would be great. thanks.
Sponsored

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
The problem is FCA sources shit batteries because they're going with the cheapest supplier. I did a poll back in the summer, and it looks like it was around a 50% failure rate with the batteries. I have replaced my donkey shit OEM batteries with the Genesis dual battery system with Odyssee batteries and have no issues since. Even if I've left the Jeep for a few weeks without driving.

P.S. I'm connected to a Blackvue dashcam as well.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem is FCA sources shit batteries because they're going with the cheapest supplier. I did a poll back in the summer, and it looks like it was around a 50% failure rate with the batteries. I have replaced my donkey shit OEM batteries with the Genesis dual battery system with Odyssee batteries and have no issues since. Even if I've left the Jeep for a few weeks without driving.

P.S. I'm connected to a Blackvue dashcam as well.
I would pay to upgrade batteries but my wrangler is leased. Don't feel like spending money on something that should work. Especially if this keeps up I can lemon it.

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Dealer replaced BOTH of mine under warrantee 2018JL. One bad battery can pull the other one down. You are a perfect example, change both of them.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer replaced BOTH of mine under warrantee 2018JL. One bad battery can pull the other one down. You are a perfect example, change both of them.
They said they replaced one 3 weeks ago. Wonder if it's just one or both. Never would I think a brand new car will not start.

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My first dead battery was at about 9 months. I would charge it and a few days later, without driving, it was dead again. No problems since batteries were changed about 8 months ago.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first dead battery was at about 9 months. I would charge it and a few days later, without driving, it was dead again. No problems since batteries were changed about 8 months ago.
What's weird is when I opened hood today, it smelled like smoke. I am scared that it might be an electrical issue, along with batteries.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They said they replaced one 3 weeks ago. Wonder if it's just one or both. Never would I think a brand new car will not start.
Took 2 days for roadside to send me someone to either tow or help jump it. I was able to jump it with 2 battery packs. Got it to the dealer. The dealer only replaced 1 battery the first time. What really scares me is when I first saw my car with dead battery and opened the hood before jumping it. A slight smell of fire or a electrical short smell came from front of the hood by radiator. I am wondering if the v6 wranglers have electrical shorts due to faulty wiring.

What shocked me is the dealer said if you don't use your car for over a week you need to disconnect battery. Coming from over dozen Bmw's, japanese brands. I have never had issues coming back to car after it hasn't been driven for few weeks. They all crank with no issues.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Took 2 days for roadside to send me someone to either tow or help jump it. I was able to jump it with 2 battery packs. Got it to the dealer. The dealer only replaced 1 battery the first time. What really scares me is when I first saw my car with dead battery and opened the hood before jumping it. A slight smell of fire or a electrical short smell came from front of the hood by radiator. I am wondering if the v6 wranglers have electrical shorts due to faulty wiring.

What shocked me is the dealer said if you don't use your car for over a week you need to disconnect battery. Coming from over dozen Bmw's, japanese brands. I have never had issues coming back to car after it hasn't been driven for few weeks. They all crank with no issues.
Sorry about your troubles.

The manual specifies 21 days before needing to disconnect the battery.

How did you get it started with two battery packs? One after the other or something else? Still trying to get more info about jumping the JL with battery packs.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

It's not good to connect 2 batteries in parallel without some battery management, especially when the batteries are different like in the JL. Based on what I read on the Internet, the batteries can drain each other down.

As for the burning smell, early on there were reports of cross threaded nuts on the PCR causing bad connections and melted PCRs. Someone posted a picture of his melted PCR. It's located in back of the passenger tire though, not by the radiator.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry about your troubles.

The manual specifies 21 days before needing to disconnect the battery.

How did you get it started with two battery packs? One after the other or something else? Still trying to get more info about jumping the JL with battery packs.
I was away for about 10 days and battery was completely dead. I used a 1000 amp and another one from tow truck driver, maybe total about 2000amps was enough to get car started. Connected both battery packs to main battery. Cranked after few attempts. Otherwise being parked in garage no tow company wanted to move it. Not sure if its good or not for the truck but i can't have a dead vehicle.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not good to connect 2 batteries in parallel without some battery management, especially when the batteries are different like in the JL. Based on what I read on the Internet, the batteries can drain each other down.

As for the burning smell, early on there were reports of cross threaded nuts on the PCR causing bad connections and melted PCRs. Someone posted a picture of his melted PCR. It's located in back of the passenger tire though, not by the radiator.
The car was parked in my garage, which is multi-car garage. Being the car was completely dead, no tow company wanted to tow it. Took me 2 days to get it out of there. Had no choice, I am so happy I leased this car and not purchased. If its a lemon, I wouldn't want to deal with depreciation hit.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I was away for about 10 days and battery was completely dead. I used a 1000 amp and another one from tow truck driver, maybe total about 2000amps was enough to get car started. Connected both battery packs to main battery. Cranked after few attempts. Otherwise being parked in garage no tow company wanted to move it. Not sure if its good or not for the truck but i can't have a dead vehicle.
Thank you for the info!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Wow, I remember your first post. That sucks, sorry. The burning smell sounds scary, hope you get it figured out.

OP
OP
nypharm

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, I remember your first post. That sucks, sorry. The burning smell sounds scary, hope you get it figured out.
Dealer charged battery and so far few weeks no issues. Lately though my rear view camera sometimes is just a black screen. Wonder what that can be.
Sponsored