Basic tool set question

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
What would you recommend for a basic tool set for running in the jeep when you go trail riding? Something along the lines of using to disconnect sway bar end links or remove a damaged steering stabilizer or other such things you may need to repair.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends on the combination of your mechical skillset and how deep into your Jeep you're willing to dig, while out on a trail.

For starters, whatevers needed to swap a flat tire for the spare, and also removing a damaged driveshaft to prevent peripheral damage.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
What would you recommend for a basic tool set for running in the jeep when you go trail riding? Something along the lines of using to disconnect sway bar end links or remove a damaged steering stabilizer or other such things you may need to repair.
I have a small toolbox I've developed over the years... a set of metric sockets, a couple extensions, swivel ratchet, channel locks, side cutters, needle nose, small crescent wrench, combination screwdriver, mini sledge, electrical tape, wire strippers, zip ties, and torx bits I suppose. That will handle 90% of what you come across. Of course without spare parts, this is only half the equation.

OP
OP
Loccusst

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to say I am somewhat decently mechanically inclined and I do have a tendency to not know the meaning of "not possible". This is a good start for me to build off of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Loccusst

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd carry a couple of spare batteries and make friends with an electrician
Guess it's a good thing I used to be MECP Certified then lol. The electrical aspect of these vehicles don't scare me, now ask me to rebuild a motor....that's a different story. The Jeep is a new beast when it comes to the suspension setup too since I am used to autocross and setting up for different tracks. All I can say is I am excited to learn and I absolutely love my Jeep!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The basics from my kit. Philips and Flathead, metric wrench set, 1/2ā€ deepwell metric sockets, select 3/8ā€ sockets smaller than the 1/2s, a half inch ratchet, and a 1/2-3/8 adapter, and a big adjustible. Zip ties, baling wire, wire snips and the travel roll of gorilla tape.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It's hard to know what to bring and what not to bring. I waited until sales between Thanksgiving and Christmas and bought a set of Craftsman tools from Lowes. I wanted deep and shallow sockets, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive, and a good variety of end wrenches. I bought a set of torx driverbits for 1/4" through 1/2" drive. I also carry a long breaker bar and socket to fit my lug nuts. I picked out a few bits from my home tools but I don't remember offhand what all that was. I also carry a Harbor Freight tow strap, a short shovel about 36" long, a small bottle jack, jumper cables, lithium jump starter, and of course a substantial tire pump. Everything but the bottle jack and tire pump fits in the cubby under the cargo area floor.
I've never had to do anything difficult with the Jeep but one of my previous cars needed a new battery one time when we were far away from home. I was equipped to install a battery pretty easily.
One time we were pretty far from home and had to tighten a timing chain sprocket. We didn't have any tools on that trip but we found an old style gas station that had tools but no mechanic. A couple of hours and we were back on the road.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
I always have overkilled what I take on longer wheeling adventures. My tool bags weigh between 50-80#s. (Combined) 1/2", 3/8" 1/4" sockets and ratchets, extensions,,, Everything needed to install an RK lift kit, pull valve covers, and oil cooler. (Just all the tools not those parts). Full set of open end wrenches from tiny to 1 1/2" in a roll. Heavy Ball Peen hammer, water pump pliers (3 sizes). Tape rule, dike's and small bolt cutters. Stainless bailing wire, and Gorilla tape. Multi-meter, set of wire connectors, screws, schrader valves. Milwaukee cordless 1/2"D impact. 4" cordless grinder with cutoff and grind wheels. ( a stupid amount of tools I know)

I can honestly say I have never needed MOST of it. But as with my work tools, if I leave them at the shop or home, I guarantee I will need them. I have helped strangers in need Many times. I'm still always worried that I have forgot something....... I could use a mini welder that can handle 3/32 7018 rods........dang

My wife and I are SOLO 90% of the time.

My suggestion is think of what can break, what you are capable of repairing or "rigging", and take the tools to do it.

Oh and there is a list for recovery gear, that's a different subject.

Sponsored

Alfred77L8

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Screwdriver, spare battery, and spare tire

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Iā€™m fairly conservative with my stuff. A socket set, a breaker bar, couple of pairs of pliers, Yankee screwdriver with multiple bits, zip ties, electrical type, box of assorted fuses and a roll of gorilla tape. Probably overkill for what I Would need/use on the trail. (Iā€™m pretty sure my Jeep has an engine down there someplace but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen it.šŸ™„. I know Iā€™ve got an oil filter and drain plug and thereā€™s that spiffy place on top to add oil, so Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s an engine, but itā€™s awfully well camouflaged)

Iā€™m a pretty fair wrench but the electronics on todays vehicles is beyond me. Iā€™ve rebuilt/rewired vehicles back in the day (think ā€˜51 Ford pickup with a transplanted 352 4bbl and 4sp.) but anymore, Iā€™m SOL with wiring.

How mechanically inclined are you? Put in sufficient stuff to deal with any repairs you can see yourself making on the trail and call it good. As a minimum, be able to change a tire (regardless of trail conditions) and drop a damaged driveshaft.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I've probably posted this picture before- here are some of the tools I carry. In addition I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar and deep socket for lug nuts.
Besides mechanics tools I carry a small bottle jack, jumper cables, and lithium battery jump starter.
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic tool set question IMG_4675c

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Lots of good suggestions. Those Husky sets are a good start. Because the factory lug wrench is crap, I would add a 22mm 6 (six) point socket and a breaker bar or long handled ratchet.

@txj2go has a nice, comprehensive set there, the only thing I would add to it as a long handled pry bar, which can come in handy for more things than you would ever imagine.
Sponsored