Sponsored

what's your favorite riv-nut setter tool?

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
for 1/4"-20 size riv-nuts, and that can handle stainless steel riv-nuts well?
what's your favorite riv-nut setter tool?

thanks
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Wetols rivet nut tool. Bought it off of Amazon for $40 or so. It comes with 7 mandrels and a variety of rivnuts. I have used it to install tube fenders and rocker armor. It has worked perfectly every time so far and saves a lot of time. It should be able to do stainless rivnuts also, don't see why it couldn't.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
In my opinion, a bolt and a nut are the best most reliable way. Way more control and feel

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion, a bolt and a nut are the best most reliable way. Way more control and feel
True, but only with access to the backside.

I would've had to gut half of the engine compartment to use a traditional nut and bolt to install my front fender liners. To do the rear liners, the cargo area would've needed gutting and multiple access holes punched into the inner body panels.

Like most things, there's a time and a place for different types of hardware.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
True, but only with access to the backside.

I would've had to gut half of the engine compartment to use a traditional nut and bolt to install my front fender liners. To do the rear liners, the cargo area would've needed gutting and multiple access holes punched into the inner body panels.

Like most things, there's a time and a place for different types of hardware.
I could be wrong, but I think the reference was to the type of tool, not the type of fastener.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong, but I think the reference was to the type of tool, not the type of fastener.
My post was in response to the member that suggested a nut and bolt over a rivnut and bolt.

As far as the tool I used, I went the same direction as Limeade above. About $40 on Amazon for a 13" long rivnut plyer type tool that came with 10 different sized mandrels and a bag of rivnuts for each.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have this one. It works well. But I hate it. I hate rivnuts. I hate installing them. I hate using them. I hate you and I hate this thread. Thanks for posting.

Rivnuts are the final boss you have to conquer to enter the 7th layer of hell. 😆 😆

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY8TWNL6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=81B484ID25NO&keywords=Astro+Pneumatic+Tool+1442+13"&qid=1678800587&sprefix=astro+pneumatic+tool+1442+13+,aps,233&sr=8-1
Surveillance footage from the last time DOOKEY was forced to go to the rivnut store...

Jeep Wrangler JL what's your favorite riv-nut setter tool? ac9ce138f01ae92dc9f828d79b91e313

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
My post was in response to the member that suggested a nut and bolt over a rivnut and bolt.

As far as the tool I used, I went the same direction as Limeade above. About $40 on Amazon for a 13" long rivnut plyer type tool that came with 10 different sized mandrels and a bag of rivnuts for each.
I know. I think he was saying that the "nut & bolt" type installation tool is preferred over the "pop rivet" style installation tool.

Sponsored

Alfred77L8

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I use the Wetols rivet nut tool,too

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know. I think he was saying that the "nut & bolt" type installation tool is preferred over the "pop rivet" style installation tool.
Good looking out! I completely forgot about that method of installing rivnuts. My years in mechanics have shown the butchery that comes from not having the proper tool at hand, so that drove me to seaking out the tool a couple years back. Not at all knocking the nut and bolt method, I'm just preprogrammed to collecting tools along life's paths. I'm sure the nut and bolt works perfectly fine.

@IanNubbit
Disregard my above response. I read your post the wrong way. Thanks to jaymz for catching me there!