Sponsored

Base System Speaker Upgrade

astro143

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
After additional testing I have concluded that the base system speakers are all wired with a negative phase/polarity from the factory. The factory wiring diagrams I have seen correctly identify the +/- speaker wires, but the wires are reversed in the factory connecter. Rewiring the Metra adaptor puts replacement speakers back to positive phase/polarity, but this puts them out of phase with any uncorrected factory speakers.

To address the mid range harshness, I decided to try lower impedance tweeters in the upper dash that would use more of the power that is shared between the upper dash and lower dash speaker pair, leaving less power for the lower dash speakers. This worked, installing some Infinity Reference REF-375TX 3 ohm tweeters in the upper dash eliminated the mid range harshness.

With the combination of getting all the speakers wired in phase and adding the new upper dash tweeters, the system so far has been able to play any music accurately at full volume with no distortion or harshness.

Here's a diagram that illustrates how changing the impedence of the upper dash speakers changes the percentage of the signal processed by the individual speakers.
speaker wiring 2.PNG
How did the midrange harshness present itself with the JL tweeters? I was looking between the 3/4" ones you had and the 1" variant, would that be potentially less harsh? I was leaning more towards the JL tweeters because the 6 ohm sounds like it would play nicer with an aftermarket woofer in the lower dash, if I ever want to replace it too. How much of a difference do the Infinity tweeters make? Is going tweeter only in the dash a significant improvement over a 3.5 coax like the 3032s or the Kenwood X3C's?

I'm planning on pairing dash tweeters/coax with a pair of JBL 9632's in the roll bar. I think the 3 ohm load of the one 6X9 should be close to the stock load per channel on the factory amp but benefit from the efficiency of the JBL speakers.
I had 4 of the older JBL 9630's in a Jeep Patriot on the stock amp and people asked me if I had a sub installed. I was a big fan of them.

Thanks for any insight, your comments on the stock sound system have been so much more knowledgeable than anything I've found so far.

quaylefarmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I finished the tweeter install and moved on to the soundbar.

Suspect I may have the wrong metra harness.

The one I have has a connector that matches the small/tweeter in the soundbar.

I’m guessing I should be connecting into the side of the harness for the larger factory speaker in the soundbar??

Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I finished the tweeter install and moved on to the soundbar.

Suspect I may have the wrong metra harness.

The one I have has a connector that matches the small/tweeter in the soundbar.

I’m guessing I should be connecting into the side of the harness for the larger factory speaker in the soundbar??

Any help is appreciated!
If you are upgrading a base system, it doesn't matter, both connectors carry the same signal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did the midrange harshness present itself with the JL tweeters? I was looking between the 3/4" ones you had and the 1" variant, would that be potentially less harsh? I was leaning more towards the JL tweeters because the 6 ohm sounds like it would play nicer with an aftermarket woofer in the lower dash, if I ever want to replace it too. How much of a difference do the Infinity tweeters make? Is going tweeter only in the dash a significant improvement over a 3.5 coax like the 3032s or the Kenwood X3C's?

I'm planning on pairing dash tweeters/coax with a pair of JBL 9632's in the roll bar. I think the 3 ohm load of the one 6X9 should be close to the stock load per channel on the factory amp but benefit from the efficiency of the JBL speakers.
I had 4 of the older JBL 9630's in a Jeep Patriot on the stock amp and people asked me if I had a sub installed. I was a big fan of them.

Thanks for any insight, your comments on the stock sound system have been so much more knowledgeable than anything I've found so far.
The midrange harshness was present in some types of music with busy midrange. After switching to the Infinity tweeters, I never hear any distortion in any type of music. Tweeter only in the dash sounds somewhat better than a 3.5 coax, but the 3.5 coax provides more volume. If you are not upgrading the sound bar to larger speakers, 3.5 in the dash might be better. If you are upgrading the sound bar to 6.5 speakers, go with tweeters in the dash.

quaylefarmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
If you are upgrading a base system, it doesn't matter, both connectors carry the same signal.

Thanks - appreciate the response

I have the 7” system (non Alpine).

I hooked it up to the small connector and it sounds terrible. Monotone and dirty.

Reading posts now that suggest splicing/bridging the 2??

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - appreciate the response

I have the 7” system (non Alpine).

I hooked it up to the small connector and it sounds terrible. Monotone and dirty.

Reading posts now that suggest splicing/bridging the 2??
Here's a picture of the speaker wires going into the base system sound bar and a picture of the wires inside the sound bar. There are only 4 wires- 2 for the right side and 2 for the left side going into the sound bar. Inside the sound bar for each side, the wiring for the second speaker is spliced into the 2 wires feeding that side. So it's the same signal feeding both speakers on each side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Base System Speaker Upgrade jl soundbar wiring ext

Jeep Wrangler JL Base System Speaker Upgrade sound bar inside wirin

quaylefarmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Thanks!

I’m stuck……pretty detailed with the install.

Front with the upgraded tweeters in the dash corner is killer.

Dynamat, Polyfill, all the spec’d parts in the sound bar……..it sounds like garbage.

No highs, no bass……6.5”’s are bouncing like crazy but the output is worse than the stock setup.

Tried reversing polarity and no noticeable change.

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
Thanks!

I’m stuck……pretty detailed with the install.

Front with the upgraded tweeters in the dash corner is killer.

Dynamat, Polyfill, all the spec’d parts in the sound bar……..it sounds like garbage.

No highs, no bass……6.5”’s are bouncing like crazy but the output is worse than the stock setup.

Tried reversing polarity and no noticeable change.
Sorry to hear you're having issues. I just finished installing the "Jerry system" today (his recs - again major thanks to the man!) and all is great on my end. No issue with connection to the former tweeter harness. Maybe you have a pair of bad speakers?

Sponsored

tker32

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I replaced the JL Audio C1 – 075ct tweeters with Infinity Reference REF-375TX tweeters as discussed here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/base-system-speaker-upgrade.75015/post-2205995.

Still happy with the way it sounds.
Are the additional bass blockers that are linked in Quaylefarmer's list needed, or do the 375's come with their own? When installing the bass blockers, do they go on the woofer side or the tweeter side of the Metra harness?

Also, when replacing the soundbar 3.5" and 4" pairs with one 6.5 (going to be adding on the Select Increments Pods to hold the 6.5s) do I hook the Metra harness off the 4' speaker connection, and just leave the 3.5 connection loose and unplugged?

Thanks for all the detailed info and explanations on this!

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the additional bass blockers that are linked in Quaylefarmer's list needed, or do the 375's come with their own? When installing the bass blockers, do they go on the woofer side or the tweeter side of the Metra harness?

Also, when replacing the soundbar 3.5" and 4" pairs with one 6.5 (going to be adding on the Select Increments Pods to hold the 6.5s) do I hook the Metra harness off the 4' speaker connection, and just leave the 3.5 connection loose and unplugged?

Thanks for all the detailed info and explanations on this!
The 375's come with their own little crossover circuits (more than just a bass blocker), nothing else is needed. Follow the instructions to install them.

In the sound bar, you can use either connector, leave the other one disconnected.
Sponsored