First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
The BD spots are 6° and the wide cornering are 42°.
thats why i'm looking at the combo set up. best of both lights in one light. at a price that i'm willing to spend.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
thats why i'm looking at the combo set up. best of both lights in one light. at a price that i'm willing to spend.
The driving combo might just be the ticket, for both the clears on the a-pillars and the ambers on the front bumper. You'll have near and mid distance covered in both colors.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
doesnt baja design provide enough wire to run up to the dash?

sae is designed to be road legal. the lumen is 2480. also the light pattern is cuts offto reduce the glare. the sport lumen is 3100 and doesnt have a cut off. what i'm wondering is if you could run the filter that is provided on the sae light onto the sport light. i pm @Baja Designs and waiting for a response. my plan is to run the amber squadron sport driving combo pattern on the front bumper. for those bad weather days. not run them when other cars are around.
They provide a harness with a switch and relay to connect to a pair of lights. I am connecting them to the AUX buttons. Thus I need to make a splitter to connect to my Aux and battery- and remove the relay. I need another connector to do this and that is in the order-along with some other crap to clean up some comms wiring and other stuff going to 2nd battery.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
sae is designed to be road legal. the lumen is 2480. also the light pattern is cuts offto reduce the glare. the sport lumen is 3100 and doesnt have a cut off. what i'm wondering is if you could run the filter that is provided on the sae light onto the sport light. i pm @Baja Designs and waiting for a response. my plan is to run the amber squadron sport driving combo pattern on the front bumper. for those bad weather days. not run them when other cars are around.
I'm thinking you can, but for legal reasons, BD isn't going to tell you to do it as the SAE light is SAE J583 certified as a complete unit. Notice it doesn't have "uService" (Replaceable lenses and optics) listed as a feature like the rest of their lights? For these reasons, I'm pretty certain they won't sell you just the filter. I can't tell whether or not the SAE has a functionally different reflector and lens in order to play nice with the filter, but I can tell you that the lens (and filter) on my SAEs is removed exactly the same way as the lens on my Sports...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
looks good mike. i would like to see some night pics when its done. i'm interesting to see what kind of glare up might get on the hood. plue what you light up. tho, i'm looking at the squadron sport combo set up. clear on the a pillar and amber on the bumper.
I hooked up the LP4's this evening and took these shots at about 9pm. The camera doesn't do the actual brightness any justice. I'll take more shots tomorrow night, from a further back point of view, but here's something. I still have to further fine tune the aiming. I try to aim the spots right next to each other.

Only drl's with Squadron Pro spots. A shot to show the hood glow and another from the roof line
Jeep Wrangler JL baja design squadron options / set up. 20210127_195735
Jeep Wrangler JL baja design squadron options / set up. 20210127_200027

Spots and floods
Jeep Wrangler JL baja design squadron options / set up. 20210127_200034

1 pair of driving combo amber LP4's
Jeep Wrangler JL baja design squadron options / set up. 20210127_200100

Both pairs of ambers
Jeep Wrangler JL baja design squadron options / set up. 20210127_200104

Its funny how the camera doesn't translate the full impact of the lights, but it makes the hood and the sky look brighter than they really were.

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I hooked up the LP4's this evening and took these shots at about 9pm. The camera doesn't do the actual brightness any justice. I'll take more shots tomorrow night, from a further back point of view, but here's something. I still have to further fine tune the aiming. I try to aim the spots right next to each other.

Only drl's with Squadron Pro spots. A shot to show the hood glow and another from the roof line

Spots and floods

1 pair of driving combo amber LP4's

Both pairs of ambers

Its funny how the camera doesn't translate the full impact of the lights, but it makes the hood and the sky look brighter than they really were.
how would you compare the light pattern between the two (LP4 and Squadrons)?
I know they have the same design lenses, just wondering if in reality LP4 and squadron are a lot more different besides just number of Lumens..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
how would you compare the light pattern between the two (LP4 and Squadrons)?
I know they have the same design lenses, just wondering if in reality LP4 and squadron are a lot more different besides just number of Lumens..
The LP, XL, and Squadron series are all the same as far as having a 6° spot and 42° flood/wide cornering patterns. The lense/body size and lumens are where they differ.

The led technology is the same between the LP's and Squadrons. It's the advanced cooling designed into the LP housing, the peripheral leds, and the amber back glow that sets them apart from the other series. Oh, and the low and high output, but that's only on the LP6's and LP9's.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The LP, XL, and Squadron series are all the same as far as having a 6° spot and 42° flood/wide cornering patterns. The lense/body size and lumens are where they differ.

The led technology is the same between the LP's and Squadrons. It's the advanced cooling designed into the LP housing, the peripheral leds, and the amber back glow that sets them apart from the other series. Oh, and the low and high output, but that's only on the LP6's and LP9's.
I know the LPs and the onx6 have more Lumens and seem larger than the S8 and squadrons, I wondered if it there was a noticeable difference between the two even sizes though the lenses (6/42’) are supposed to be the same..
Probably hard to compare apples/apples especially with different colors.
I have squadron pros in amber and love the amber a lot more than I thoughts I would. Now I want more!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I only have experience with the amber LP4 Pros (4" lense) and the white Squadron Pros (3" lense). The patterns of both the spots and floods are the same, but the size of the spot and flood from the LP4 is slightly larger. I noticed that when I was aiming them while facing the side of a building.

I also have found that I like the amber lighting a bit more. It gives a high definition look to the lit up area.

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
So I ended up ordering the squadron pro amber for the pillar mount for some added nighttime light when trailriding.
Will probably do the fog replacements next, but I'm afraid theyre too bright for oncoming traffic, and I really like the fog lights on when driving in our area of dark and narrow roads.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Headbarcode

looks good. thanks for the pics. as for the hood shot. i dont see much of a problem. i do like the amber and how it lights up the area in front of you. the patterns does cover alot of area as well. i think the squadron sport in the combo pattern will do just as good for my use.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
So I ended up ordering the squadron pro amber for the pillar mount for some added nighttime light when trailriding.
Will probably do the fog replacements next, but I'm afraid theyre too bright for oncoming traffic, and I really like the fog lights on when driving in our area of dark and narrow roads.
You probably saw this but BD also has squadrons in an SAE compliant fog light which has a vertical cutoff..
They make them in amber or white.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-R-SAE-Pair-LED-Wide-Cornering-Amber.asp

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Headbarcode i was looking at the squadron sport and the sport r. what i see is the only difference is the sport r is measures 3.50" and the sport is 3.07". so my question is, is there much difference of a 1/2" size. i'm thinking in going with the sport with the 3.07" size.
Sponsored