Backup Camera precludes tire cover

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
I think Jeep put the camera in the ideal location. Having it low gives a bad point of view and easily blocked if using trailer hitch or mud can cover. Having off to the side may work but still awkward point of view.

As is it gives a good dead center downward view that’s good for most situations.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Again, not a big hardship, and not better solutions despite your smugness.

Here’s two without looking very hard.

How about in the third brake light.

There are many options if the FCA engineers actually tried.
Obviously you have little to no experience with a Wrangler.

As I mentioned earlier, the license location is not only off-centre, but blocked by other portions of the Wrangler.

Bumper no longer has that much room, and is partially blocked that low, that’s just with 32 & 33s, move to 35s and it blocks off the bumper mount even more as it moves another inch further down. So even beyond bumper mods, it’s no longer a good place, and wasn’t even on the JK as it was easily muddied or covered in road grime, and partially blocked for higher objects like railings, etc. (I know I have had a few and installed many for friends & family).
Also trailer hitch carriers would block a bumper cam, but less likely to block a spare tire cam, though can still happen with a big rack, etc.

The 3rd brake light can’t see down past the spare tire to see much of the area immediately behind the Wrangler, and with an adjustable brake light that blind spot can get even bigger.

Yeah, to someone like you it seems easy, but your obvious lack of experience with Wranglers, and even more so with a back-up camera on a Wrangler is obvious by your comments.

So you’re running 0 for 3 for a better location.

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
How am I supposed to mount my bike rack?
5b_spareride.png

I've always preferred the spare tire mounts instead of a hitch mounted rack.

majorjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK sport
e5d9f92c-392e-48a2-abd4-aa0fdf37475f-jpeg.jpg

I couldn't find out how to order this one.. does anyone have a link to order this one - I was stationed in Hawaii so I am liking this one

Sponsored

JoeBowler300

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I bought a new 2018 Jeep Wrangler (my first Jeep) and a new tire cover for the spare; totally forgot the backup camera was there. I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Rig-Rite-Man...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=03KT8MQJ1G3E2HE67WHS
I cut a 2inch hole in the center of the cover and riveted it in with four 4mm diameter rivets with a 6mm grip length. I placed the rubber grommet on the inside of the cover and riveted it from the outside where the rivet head is and breaks off cleanly.

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the Mopar tire cover with the American Flag on it. It fits the stock tire perfectly. The downside is that it is fitted to the stock tire. I have 33" Duratrac M/T's on the way and the tire cover will not work. I should have read a little more before I bought it.

Valv910

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I cut a hole in mine. Problem solved.
BTW I was able to stretch it out to fit a 35" tire since there's none out there.

IMG_20180422_174314.jpg

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Just like a lot of things on the JL. The camera got the same cheap treatment.
But I think too that the camera is a waste. They work well in ideal lighting, but otherwise they are useless.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
But I think too that the camera is a waste. They work well in ideal lighting, but otherwise they are useless.
Sure? I find mine to be very useful. I like having it when the doors are off. And the camera is far more functional than others I’ve seen, even just in the higher definition. Plus it doesn’t take much to see the Wrangler has a lot of blind spots.

But with a few turns of a screw driver- you can take yours off. All you, man.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I disagree. Mine works great and is a huge help in my insanely narrow driveway/garage.

You can also take it off (how many backup cameras can you say that for?) or just ignore it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar does make a spare tire cover specifically to work with the JL.

img_0991-002-jpg.jpg

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
I disagree. Mine works great and is a huge help in my insanely narrow driveway/garage.

You can also take it off (how many backup cameras can you say that for?) or just ignore it.
Like I said, in ideal conditions it works okay. The screen is useless if it is raining or it is bright out. I guess the govt. morons think accidents will only happen during perfect weather.
Sponsored