Backup Camera issue

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Today my backup camera just quit working. Everything else in the uconnect works fine. When I put the jeep in rever it just stays in whatever screen it was on. When I go into the controls to manually select it, nothing happens. It's a very strange thing. Everything else 100% operational. Anyone have any ideas? Guess I'll try disconnecting the negative cable to see if that resets it.
I saw all these issues and was glad mine worked....not now. Today it quit, checked connections...no go....the radio screen goes directly to channel instead of the prompt to accept. Still not working.
Sponsored

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I saw all these issues and was glad mine worked....not now. Today it quit, checked connections...no go....the radio screen goes directly to channel instead of the prompt to accept. Still not working.
Ok, the post about pulling the fuse saved me. Thanks. I pulled the fuse (20amp), waited a few and started back up. It takes a few minutes to reboot. All works fine. We'll see how long it stays that way.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try pulling the radio fuse and putting it back in. . It will hard reset the radio. . If you're uconnect turns like a blue backround color dont worry it will go back to stock after a few minutes
Thanks...I had not thought of that yet and pulled it. All restored for now.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Ok, the post about pulling the fuse saved me. Thanks. I pulled the fuse (20amp), waited a few and started back up. It takes a few minutes to reboot. All works fine. We'll see how long it stays that way.
It takes a tad over 180 seconds to reboot.

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
And for the diy people there are 3 plugs to check... One behind the swing gate pad.. Comes off pretty easily its a white connection, the 2nd is in the passenger side A post just under the door check strap (youll have to remove the scuff pad) and 3rd is into the radio itself

Sponsored

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
And for the diy people there are 3 plugs to check... One behind the swing gate pad.. Comes off pretty easily its a white connection, the 2nd is in the passenger side A post just under the door check strap (youll have to remove the scuff pad) and 3rd is into the radio itself
Thanks for those connection tips!

JLR

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rbrosrifles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing for R Bros Rifles
UPDATE.....
I took off the panel on the tailgate to have a look at the wiring. Everything looked fine, but I unplugged and re-seated the camera plug anyway. Buttoned it back up and the camera was working again. We'll see if it survives today.

Nerb

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
About a quarter of the time, I put it in reverse and the backup screen is just solid green. If I turn the car off and restart, the camera works again.
I’m having the exact issue. It has already been in the shop to be fixed but I’m still having the issue. Did yours get resolved? If so, what did you do?

Nerb

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have the same issue. I took to dealership, amd they said they could not duplicate. So the next morning, it happened again, so I recorded it. Here is just 1 of the videos I took.
Mine’s a solid green. Not sure what to do.

424hamst

First Name
Kal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
The dealer finally fixed ours on the third try. This last time, they replaced the camera and installed a software update. One of those two things finally fixed ours. Hopefully this helps.

Sponsored

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I’m having the exact issue. It has already been in the shop to be fixed but I’m still having the issue. Did yours get resolved? If so, what did you do?
Mine just stopped doing it about a month ago. I'm wondering if a connection was loose.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon m/t, 2002 Tracker 4x4, 2004 Winnebago 30B, 2005 Scion xB, various motorcycles
Backing into garage this afternoon, taking my time (too much stuff).....backup camera went black. Kept backing up with mirrors and it turned back on after the bumper sensor system started beeping.

AshLee52

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
My JL just started doing this last night. Pulling the radio fuse seems to have set it right, but for quite a while that seemed to cancel the Serius XM functionality. And in a $50K Rubicon there must be a better way to have the car operate safely than to be pulling fuses. Can the Jeep Customer care team monitoring this discussion confirm 1) That Jeep is aware of the issue, 2) That is seems widespread, 3) Whether there is a fix, and if not whether this is being worked on. I just took my car in for the cruise control recall... never had an issue before that. This certainly seems to be a programming glitch.

Pipebndr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1943 Ford GPW 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Automotive business owner, ASE Master Tech
My parkview lines just went out yesterda

this just happened to me yesterday, I’m at 10k and 6 months on the road.
Houston, I think we have a problem. My back up guide lines disappeared today and a warning came across the top of the screen saying “Camera System Unavailable” but you can still view the rear of the vehicle via the camera. Hope this update they just came out with cures this. I purposely waited for the 2018 Jeep vs the 2017 for the back up camera as I have limited movement in my neck do to a fusion. Im starting to get a list of items now when it goes in for service. Rubicon Uconnect 8.4

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Houston, I think we have a problem. My back up guide lines disappeared today and a warning came across the top of the screen saying “Camera System Unavailable” but you can still view the rear of the vehicle via the camera. Hope this update they just came out with cures this. I purposely waited for the 2018 Jeep vs the 2017 for the back up camera as I have limited movement in my neck do to a fusion. Im starting to get a list of items now when it goes in for service.
@Pipebndr

Uconnect has a 2018 update that they will be sending out that may correct your issue. They announced this update.... ahhh, I think it was yesterday. It will come over the air to your radio.
Sponsored