Back up warning sensors going off.

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
How would the valve stem orientation affect the sensors in the bumper? I’ve recently had mine start going nuts too (35s on factory carrier). Will give repositioning a try - just curious. Mine are recessed into the wheel a good bit.
Me Three, just hung a 315/70 and WHAM,
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
hahaha my college license plate frame sets them off. At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is because I have the stock spare tire.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
How would the valve stem orientation affect the sensors in the bumper? I’ve recently had mine start going nuts too (35s on factory carrier). Will give repositioning a try - just curious. Mine are recessed into the wheel a good bit.
Me Three, just hung a 315/70 and WHAM,
The rear parksense bumper sensors work in conjunction with the rear camera. Some members have been able to remedy the false alerts while in reverse by rotating the valve stem above the centerline of the wheel. It's the only cost free thing to try, so that's why I mentioned trying that first. Always nice to not spend when not needed. If that doesn't work, an adjustable carrier that also extends the camera mount is the only other option.

The system is simply mistaking the valve stem for a small kid or mailbox.

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
So when I got bigger tires I ran into this issue,, unplugged the camera no change.... fix was tape on the tire... lol

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Wow - What made you think to try tape?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I had the same problem. Tried a few things but what resolved it for me was replacing the factory tire carrier with a Teraflex alpha hd spare tire carrier. It was only marginally more than the mopar relocation bracket but allowed me to raise the tire AND tuck it in closer to the tailgate.

Unfortunately I didn’t get around to doing it until after my wife backed into a car. Now I have a scuffed up bumper and nicked paint on the body.
I know I'm late to this thread but man I had a good chuckle seeing this post about your wife backing into your car and then [I presume that's] her smiling somewhat maniacally in your profile pic, lol.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
She was trying to rub the scuff mark off the bumper two days ago and asks me "what happened here?" How can she so easily forget how she eff'd up my baby...

bikeindirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I read about the rotate the valve stem stuff,,, I tried all 5 positions, (a few of my new wheels).... it kept lighting up,,, but in different places (right/left/both) not corresponding to the valve stem in any way that made sense to me.

Then I looked at how the system worked,,, sonar.(camera does nothing)

Your not spinning the valve stem your spinning the tread. Different parts of the tread "echo" differently... most people with 35s or 37s can find a lucky spot,,, i have 39s so no luck for me...

So,,, how do i make the tread not echo,,,, The tape is smooth, tried it as a guess,,, worked,,,, LOL

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
I read about the rotate the valve stem stuff,,, I tried all 5 positions, (a few of my new wheels).... it kept lighting up,,, but in different places (right/left/both) not corresponding to the valve stem in any way that made sense to me.

Then I looked at how the system worked,,, sonar.(camera does nothing)

Your not spinning the valve stem your spinning the tread. Different parts of the tread "echo" differently... most people with 35s or 37s can find a lucky spot,,, i have 39s so no luck for me...

So,,, how do i make the tread not echo,,,, The tape is smooth, tried it as a guess,,, worked,,,, LOL
Rotating spare around to find the sweet spot worked for me....running 35's stock Rubi rims.

Roger

Sponsored

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Thought I would revive this thread as I just added 35s on the Teraflex Alpha tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement.

wanted to see if there were any other suggestions out there to solve for the rear backup alerts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 1679674399786

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you've already tried rotating the spare to put the valve stem at 12 o'clock, I think the next step is raise it up and tuck it in. You might want to get shorter tire bumpers so you can get it in nice and snug.

Eyeball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ & 2023 JLUR
For 35's, the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier is a great option. It provides both height and depth adjustments, is stronger than the factory plastic carrier, is a minimally invasive part to swap out, and it only costs a bit over $300.

If you foresee any chance of going with 37's or larger down the road, a hinged carrier would be best. Obviously cost goes up and it's a more invasive (but not beyond doing on your driveway with simple hand tools) installation, but it's well worth it. I'm a firm believer in the importance of the supportive parts. They help prevent collateral damage while adding longevity.

Here's a couple of pics...

Factory wheels wrapped in 315/70-17 bfgoodrich ko2's on the spare carrier and than the Alpha HD set to the highest position to maximize rear departure angle...

KMC 17x9 wheels with -12mm offset wrapped in 38x13.5's on the Alpha HD. This heavier combo is when I started getting more rattles and started noticing that the factory hinges were the weak point...

Same wheel and tire combo on the Cavfab Elite hinged carrier, also set to the highest position for maximum ground clearance and departure angle...

And finally as it sits right now. Same wheel and carrier, but with 40x13.5's...

No exaggerating, I can hang my 180lb bodyweight off of the open tailgate and still not get any movement other than from the suspension. This Cavfab Elite hinged reinforcement and adjustable carrier is phenomenally strong!
Since you are likely one of the few that have used both the Teraflex and CavFab carriers I am hoping you can shed some light on which one allows the greatest height adjustment.

There are lots of rock ledges where I wheel and I would like to get the tire up and in to provide the best departure angle.

Thanks for any insight.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Since you are likely one of the few that have used both the Teraflex and CavFab carriers I am hoping you can shed some light on which one allows the greatest height adjustment.

There are lots of rock ledges where I wheel and I would like to get the tire up and in to provide the best departure angle.

Thanks for any insight.
The Cavfab Elite definitely held my previous 38's higher than the Teraflex Alpha did. Both carriers set to the highest position.

Here's comparison pics. Since I also changed the rear bumper at the same time as the carriers, note the relationship between the same exact spare and the bottom of the tailgate panel, and the top of the tire to the roofline...

Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20200628_200959_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Back up warning sensors going off. 20210117_135607_resized

Maximizing departure angle is also a priority in what I've done to my Jeep. A great trick that I learned from Lite Brite, is to fully air down the spare when in a scenario that involves dropping off of ledges. This allows the tire to flop around rather than transmitting the force into the tailgate. The tire will stay on the beads as long as it doesn't get seriously dragged.
Sponsored