Sponsored

Axle seal leaking again, possible causes?

OceanJL2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
ahh, ok got it. That sucks. I put a good deal of miles and stress on the Jeep yesterday. Drove 2hours north to Hunter Mountain and wheeled it for 7 hours and then drove 2 hours home. Now 700 miles since the fix and no leak. So in the hands of the right tech, it clearly is possible to fix. Maybe try different dealers or something?
Unfortunately, I am going through the same thing with my brand new (1000 miles) 2020 Sport. Jeep Dealer found that the right rear axle seal has a tear in it and it is leaking pretty bad. The parts on order but one of the parts is on backorder (one of the axle bearings). Sound familiar?
Sponsored

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Unfortunately, I am going through the same thing with my brand new (1000 miles) 2020 Sport. Jeep Dealer found that the right rear axle seal has a tear in it and it is leaking pretty bad. The parts on order but one of the parts is on backorder (one of the axle bearings). Sound familiar?
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear. I got lucky I guess. In NY, my dealer was able to source a passenger front axle seal and have it sent to them overnight and had me jeep back to me the next afternoon and its been good every since.

Daniel P

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willy's Edition
Hopefully final update. On this the 4th visit they discovered it was missing the axle spindle bushing. They installed that along with new shafts and seals and it appears to be fixed. I will update if I have any further problems. It has been a frustrating almost 3 months but I will say that the dealer and case manager kept trying. The case manager also got me a free 7year/85,000 mile maximum care extended warranty. I am happy with the outcome.

Last edited:

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Hopefully final update. On this the 4th visit they discovered it was missing the axle spindle bushing. They installed that along with new shafts and seals and it appears to be fixed. I will update if I have any further problems. To you mechanics out there does this seem plausible and should they have caught this sooner? See my earlier posts to see what they replaced prior.
Amateurs wont know what To replace if it wasn’t there in the first place. Dealer Professionals with Service manuals and computer programs from FCA should have known every single part whether it was there or not In my opinion.

Mandel11

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Amateurs wont know what To replace if it wasn’t there in the first place. Dealer Professionals with Service manuals and computer programs from FCA should have known every single part whether it was there or not In my opinion.
Mine was also missing the same part from the factory, in the process of doing a buy back now with FCA. Someone dropped the ball with QC. Good luck and I hope nothing else is missing.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had a leak but changing my diff fluid did the trick, I had quite a bit of water mixed in with the oil from the water crossings I've gone thru, when I measured what I pulled out I had nearly double the fluid that the factory recommends.

Deerhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Look at my new post. The only fix is new axle shafts and there is a service bulletin about this according to the dealer.
Hi! I have a 2019 JL and after 4 attempt to replace the front axle passenger side seal the dealer recognized that the problem comes from factory. They created a case to FCA and are going to replace the hole front differencial.
Sponsored