Sponsored

Automatic Transmission - Manual Mode?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Do you run in manual mode when you are in 4-low ao you are able to change gears?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
You can, but you don't have to. If you don't, it would be just like running it in D on the JK in 4 Low. If you do, it is like putting the transmission into 1 and then upshifting or downshifing when you need to manually

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
Do you run in manual mode when you are in 4-low ao you are able to change gears?
Watched a vid of someone off road and the fan got really loud, it seems that the 8 speed trans. was changing between gears so often when climbing and crawing, things really heated up, but in manual, no such issues

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I use the "manual" button on my RAM(same tranny) and punch in 3rd gear, when I'm off-road/4wd--then the tranny decides 1/2/3--

Pretty cool

JIMBO

SaintNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep JLU High Tide
I was watching [Banned Site] trying to climb a steep rock in Moab. The auto transmission basically lost all power. The way they combatted that was to put it in manual mode because they said in some situations it could be dangerous.

Sponsored

JL2018

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi. Granite Crystal
Occupation
Realtor
I was watching [Banned Site] trying to climb a steep rock in Moab. The auto transmission basically lost all power. The way they combatted that was to put it in manual mode because they said in some situations it could be dangerous.
I saw that too, No issues when in manual mode.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
We saw similar issues in our WK2 ecodiesel last year on Poughkeepsie gulch trying to climb the wall. Just as we thought we had made it, all power went away, causing us to fail. Later on a really steep switchback, I think on Engineer Pass, the same thing happened causing us to actually start rolling backwards. Since it literally felt like the transmission shifted into neutral and i wasn't sure what happened, I had my wife get out of the Jeep until I made sure that it was mobile. Again, putting it in manual mode and it was fine. Folks, eventually this is going to cause someone to have an accident or other failure offroad.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
well it waws wayolife asshats, so they arent sponsored by the transmission so they will shit talk it and try to make em look bad. LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE THEY DONT GET PAID TO SUPPORT.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
When going OFF-ROAD/S.O.P.--select 4hi/4lo/release front swaybar/select "MANUAL" for 8spd auto/drive /w confidence-

Whatever

JIMBO

Sponsored

SJJEEP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not sure what the issue is.... however I had mine out today and there is a governor, or something that limits the power when in auto mode....

Jack P.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 1979 Power Wagon, 1974 CJ5, 2004 Rubicon, 1991 Mustang
Occupation
Sales Consultant
Mine did the same thing on several occasions today when in 4Lo and drive. It would normally start or stay in second even when slow rolling an obstacle and once you started approach it was like it was a combination of thinking it needed to switch to third but cutting power. Manual mode there were no issues.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Mine did the same thing on several occasions today when in 4Lo and drive. It would normally start or stay in second even when slow rolling an obstacle and once you started approach it was like it was a combination of thinking it needed to switch to third but cutting power. Manual mode there were no issues.
Good to know. Like some of the above posters, watching some of the Youtube stuff the fan was racing - seemed way too hot. Manual hopefully solves.

Jack P.

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 1979 Power Wagon, 1974 CJ5, 2004 Rubicon, 1991 Mustang
Occupation
Sales Consultant
Good to know. Like some of the above posters, watching some of the Youtube stuff the fan was racing - seemed way too hot. Manual hopefully solves.
I was a mastertech for FCA before I started selling for them.... seems like the trans is trying to shift much more often than normal (lower ratio) causing the fans to have to run wide open to keep it from hurting itself in culmination with higher RPM’s at lower speeds than normal. I can’t comfirm this 100% but does sound accurate.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Makes perfect sense. Have you found a sweet spot crawling moderate trails? Gear 1, 2, ?? Or are you pretty active depending on engine revs like a manual?
Sponsored