Auto high beams

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I wonder if you can upgrade a loaded 2019 Moab with the new auto high beam system. I have the new version cruise control system.
Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
Being able to add it would be real nice. I really like the feature on my fiance's Mazda CX-5. Works real well. It will be a waiting game to see if Tazer can allow us to enable it. I've read here that there is a wire harness that is added between the 8.5" radio and the headlight switch so we'd have to add that as well.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I am looking at the 2020 Owner's manual and it really looks that it's just an updated software. There is not even an additional buton for auto high beam on/off. It's enabled at the Settings menu. It gives us a small chance that we can get updated software (or aftermarket solution) which would enable it also on 2019 JL with an adaptive cruise control. All hardware should be there.

2020JL.jpg

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
So i picked up my 2020 JLUR in mid-Oct and it didn't have auto high beams. Yesterday I went to click on the brights and nothing happens, but my display is going back and forth between "Auto High Beams Enabled" and "Auto High Beams Disabled". Did the software update and now I have this function? Now I can't turn brights on manually, I can only flash them. I'll have to go into the settings and see if I can figure it out. So odd ...

Sponsored

MichaelR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
So i picked up my 2020 JLUR in mid-Oct and it didn't have auto high beams. Yesterday I went to click on the brights and nothing happens, but my display is going back and forth between "Auto High Beams Enabled" and "Auto High Beams Disabled". Did the software update and now I have this function? Now I can't turn brights on manually, I can only flash them. I'll have to go into the settings and see if I can figure it out. So odd ...
Dumb question but how do I know if my Jeep has this option?

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the only way I found out was to click the stalk forward and my brights didn't come on, it instead turns the AUTO High Beams on and off. I assume there is a way to enable or disable in the settings as well, but haven't had a chance to check yet.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Dumb question but how do I know if my Jeep has this option?
I don't think 2018s had this option? I'm pretty sure it just came out with the 2020s, tho I could be totally wrong:angel:... I'm assuming it would be on your sticker, but definitely in your Uconnect:like:

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went through all of the settings when I got it and nothing. Also, my brights used to be push forward was high beams ON and pull back was flash. Now push forward turns the AUTO off / on and I can't turn them on manually. I'm hoping there is a setting in lighting, but there wasn't before. I had it in for an oil change a couple of weeks back. Wonder if they updated the system and now I have this option?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I went through all of the settings when I got it and nothing. Also, my brights used to be push forward was high beams ON and pull back was flash. Now push forward turns the AUTO off / on and I can't turn them on manually. I'm hoping there is a setting in lighting, but there wasn't before. I had it in for an oil change a couple of weeks back. Wonder if they updated the system and now I have this option?
This might help?

Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW - our GC has the auto high beams. While it is nice to put them on and let the Jeep decide between bright and dim, I'm always paying attention with my fingers poised to flip them off if it doesn't do it on it's own. Also it is irritating to want high beams and for whatever god forsaken reason it won't enable them. My wife likes them, but if I am driving the GC for any length of time, I will turn off the auto feature.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Went to lunch and checked it while I was out. Feature is in settings now ... AUTO DIM HIGH BEAMS. I turned it off as I agree with Buckster, I like to control my own lights.
Jeep Auto Dim.jpg

Wojtek

First Name
Wojtek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jl
Went to lunch and checked it while I was out. Feature is in settings now ... AUTO DIM HIGH BEAMS. I turned it off as I agree with Buckster, I like to control my own lights.
Jeep Wrangler JL Auto high beams Jeep Auto Dim
What do you mean software update? I have 2020 produced in Feb 20 but EU version. At the beginning in my Uconnect there wasn't such option as "Auto Dim High Beam" I use Jscan OBD and it appears but it doesn't work anyway. My car is equipped with safety plus package (acc and fcw). Any idea ???

CallumJL

First Name
Callum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2.2 Diesel
I have been trying to activate this on my audm model. I have a Rubicon with the safety package and FCC but I can not seem to get it to activate using jscan. The option will not show in the menu and when I go back into jscan it still says deactivated.

Any ideas?

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
All,

Just some background info, may or may not be relevant dependent on your own hardware but it is nonetheless interesting.

I want to do the exact opposite. I would like to completely remove (rip out) all facets of high-beam-auto-dimming from my rig (completely).

I purchased a slightly used (1024 miles) 2019 Sport S that has zero auto-high-beam dimming hardware. No front facing camera, this Jeep has only the very lame UConnect 3 with no settings to enable automatic high-beam dimming whatsoever. However, at every vehicle start I get a "Auto High Beam Unavailable Service Required" message.

The dealership bought this Jeep back after the original owner complained about a dark, inoperative digital cluster. It appears that they gave the original purchaser a different Jeep because the repair was going to take too long.

I was given paperwork at my purchase of it showing they indeed replaced the cluster as a previous service action which is required before sale. Additionally, they had to sell this unit as used because it had been previously titled.

However it took this particular dealership (which has since been sold to another mega car sales outfit) almost thee months to repair. Maybe that's why they knocked off $7500 from the sticker. Lucky me, less than $30K for a practically brand new Wrangler JL but with an improper digital instrument cluster.

It turns out the dealership technical geniuses put in a low-trim analog cluster configured for the safety and adaptive cruise package (of which isn't installed). These rocket scientists never bothered to even watch the cluster readout after replacing it. Or maybe they did and realized that they'll legally have to go through an entire cluster replacement yet again (on their dime).

I have since taken my Sport to a different dealership, where they properly diagnosed the problem but would need to impound the vehicle while a new cluster is ordered, adjusted and replaced.

Remarkably in order to legally replace a cluster that stores it's own Odometer value they have to make sure the old and new cluster values identically match (which they do this by sending both clusters to an authorized odometer reprogramming agent as set forth by law). The dealership itself cannot do this. The agent then sends back just the new cluster to the dealership, resets the old cluster's odometer back to zero and sends the old cluster to a parts refurbisher for resale.

If the odometer values ever mismatch within the actual vehicle, as also persistently tracked by the engine and body controllers, then the title must reflect an odometer tampering discrepancy. So in order to get rid of this innocuous but annoying diagnostic message, I'll have to lose my Jeep between 4 to 6 weeks for the special ordered proper cluster replacement along with it's subsequent odometer reprogramming. Two to three weeks to get the new (proper) cluster ordered and received and another two to three weeks to send both clusters out to get the new one reprogrammed and then finally reinstalled.

No wonder why the original dealership just wanted to get rid of this unit. They were happily waving good-bye as I dove it off the lot. At the time thinking that an engine controller reflash, or something just as easy, would be the only thing required to fix it. Silly, silly me. Still $7500 in my pocket to tolerate a benign diagnostic alert on every ignition start is well worth it.

Still, I'd like for FCA to fix their mess, independent of the sales price, while it is still under warranty.

After this nice boring story, trying to install the high-beam-auto-dimming as a post-production add on may just require you to also replace your cluster. One that supports the Auto High Beam feature. Thus requiring you to accomplish all the odometer pitfalls to be performed as just described.

Be careful what you ask for, or what mod you start without realizing all the little but very subtle details.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Good luck.
Jay
Sponsored