Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
Do it right away and enjoy it. Stock isn’t fun and I can’t do that.

6 months of owning it and
Steel bumpers, winch, rock rails etc.

Big items
35” tires
Regear to 4.56
AEV 2.5” lift

Lots of money but do it right and spend the money once. I know i wanted a 35” tire on my jeep and knew a lift and regear was necessary to make it a good DD still.

My jeep drives nicer than stock and i get to enjoy it everyday i drive it and its more capable and makes ME happy, my bank account and wife on the other hand.....
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’s different for everybody and there’s no one right answer. Personally, I don’t subscribe to the “don’t mod anything until you’ve used stock components to or beyond their limitations and know what you need to upgrade” philosophy. I don’t want to find myself stuck/broken/unable to take on a trail I travelled a long way to tackle because my Jeep isn’t up to the task when it cold have been. But my circumstances are unique to me. I’ve got the ability and resources to mod/upgrade pretty much anything I need to. Sure I’m going to upgrade axles before I break the stock Rubicon Dana 44s. Why would I knowingly take on something that’ll have the chance of doing, leaving my Jeep disabled far from home, when if I could have replaced them with ProRock 44 or 60 axles? Also this allows me to sell the stock Rubi axles intact to someone who can use them. Before the next time I’m on the rocks I’ll install full skid plates. I prefer preventative measures to corrective ones.

I’m new to Jeeps and to wheeling (though I’m learning fast) but not new to modding vehicles. I want my skills to always be the limiting factor, not my equipment. If I buy a car for the track, I don’t need to wait until the OEM wheels and all season tires are shot to know that a set of lightweight forged wheels and sticky ultra high performance summer tires will give me a better performance, more fun, and faster laps.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Nope. I lifted my Jeep before making the first car payment.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Nope! I’m getting it done and out of the way. Swapped my 35’s from my former JK, spline lugs because stock doesn’t fit. Cold air induction because I’m a child and I like loud noises, and a rubi JLU suspension setup to allow breathing room for my 35’s for light wheeling.

Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It’s different for everybody and there’s no one right answer. Personally, I don’t subscribe to the “don’t mod anything until you’ve used stock components to or beyond their limitations and know what you need to upgrade” philosophy. I don’t want to find myself stuck/broken/unable to take on a trail I travelled a long way to tackle because my Jeep isn’t up to the task when it cold have been. But my circumstances are unique to me. I’ve got the ability and resources to mod/upgrade pretty much anything I need to. Sure I’m going to upgrade axles before I break the stock Rubicon Dana 44s. Why would I knowingly take on something that’ll have the chance of doing, leaving my Jeep disabled far from home, when if I could have replaced them with ProRock 44 or 60 axles? Also this allows me to sell the stock Rubi axles intact to someone who can use them. Before the next time I’m on the rocks I’ll install full skid plates. I prefer preventative measures to corrective ones.

I’m new to Jeeps and to wheeling (though I’m learning fast) but not new to modding vehicles. I want my skills to always be the limiting factor, not my equipment. If I buy a car for the track, I don’t need to wait until the OEM wheels and all season tires are shot to know that a set of lightweight forged wheels and sticky ultra high performance summer tires will give me a better performance, more fun, and faster laps.
Anyone considering spending 20k on ProRock 60's falls into one of 3 categories:

1) A Bro with lots of disposable income
2) A person who believes everything they read on the internet and has lots of disposable income.
3) A seasoned extreme rock crawler with years of experience who has already broken 2 or 3 D44's. Literally the .01 percent of Jeep owners.

Of course there are edge cases like engine swaps which necessitate axle swaps to accommodate high hp/tq.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think I slightly regret not doing all of the really expensive mods right up front. It becomes harder and harder to spend big bucks later down the road in my head
I did this exact thing, Winch, Lights, Lift, Wheels, Tires, super happy I went this route, now for the small fun stuff over time.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Anyone considering spending 20k on ProRock 60's falls into one of 3 categories:

1) A Bro with lots of disposable income
2) A person who believes everything they read on the internet and has lots of disposable income.
3) A seasoned extreme rock crawler with years of experience who has already broken 2 or 3 D44's. Literally the .01 percent of Jeep owners.

Of course there are edge cases like engine swaps which necessitate axle swaps to accommodate high hp/tq.
Thanks for your insights on my opinions You've clearly got more experience with this than I do, but I’d think that if I’ve broken 2 or 3 D44 axles I must be stupid for wasting money repeatedly by not upgrading to something stronger or else I’m doing it wrong.

I do have some disposable income, that’s what allowed me to buy a $54,000 vehicle that I don’t actually need, just for fun times to drive on the weekends. What’s considered a lot is relative. I don’t see myself as a “bro” though, at least not in the way that I inferred from your post. I haven’t read a ton about this on the internet yet, but I intend to before it’s all over.

Happy wheeling!

Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I did not want to wait like I did with my landcruiser of waiting to long, I decide to treat the Jeep much like I did my STI, fully modded to my liking in a few months. I bought my JLUR in late April since then I have changed wheels, put 35" KM3s on, lifted it 2.5", added extra lights, changed the rear bumper, added a table to the tailgate, added the mopar tailgate reinforcement, put on a Rhio-Rack backbone sytem, added a winch, added interior storage, changed the rock rails, added aluminum fully belly skid, add assist handles, , redid my recovery bag and changed wheels for a second time. I am very happy with the way the jeep is now, although I may change the stock steel front bumper for an aluminum one to save a little weight. It drives just the way I wanted my only regret was the first set of wheels, but you learn as you go. As to the future who knows maybe a year form now I may want to go bigger or be just as thrilled as I am oday with it just the way it sits now. It is never to early or to late, that seems top be the fun of owning a Jeep

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I think I slightly regret not doing all of the really expensive mods right up front. It becomes harder and harder to spend big bucks later down the road in my head
I like your hood. Maybe if I buy one, you'll be able to get some more mods for your jeep too... Win win! :LOL:

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I’m glad I got most of my big ticket mods done right away. If I didn’t, I’d likely never have found the money for them. Wheels, tires, lift (rolled into the dealer financing) and for my own personal enjoyment, vinyl wrap. :) I’m super happy, but now broke. I wish I had budgeted some extra $ for regearing, but that’ll have to wait.

Bumper, winch, side steps, sway bar disconnects, lockers, skids...there will be more mods over time.

The thing with Jeeps is they’re individual expressions of their owners. Enjoy the process! And the results!

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’m glad I got most of my big ticket mods done right away. If I didn’t, I’d likely never have found the money for them. Wheels, tires, lift (rolled into the dealer financing) and for my own personal enjoyment, vinyl wrap. :) I’m super happy, but now broke. I wish I had budgeted some extra $ for regearing, but that’ll have to wait.

Bumper, winch, side steps, sway bar disconnects, lockers, skids...there will be more mods over time.

The thing with Jeeps is they’re individual expressions of their owners. Enjoy the process! And the results!
I totally should have added the wrap to my early must do mods, that looks amazing and I like the idea that no one has the same color as me, or least has to put some effort in to match. ;)

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I waited too long. Did rubi wheels within a couple of weeks. Then rubi suspension maybe six months later. And a whopping year before anything else. Now it caused me to go on a modding spree lol. I took it wheeling many times and found the limits of 33s. Decided to finally go 35s. Now seeing i need a little more lift as well...

I also found i was scraping a bit and after reading articles on the diff drain plug and exhaust loop i decided to prioritize basic underbody protection.

Ill have to give the old CC a break for a while but ive got enough new mods to be happy for a while.
Sponsored