Sponsored

Anyone regret choosing black paint?

Chogers73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H
I know how difficult it is to keep clean but it’s the most rewarding color when it’s time to shine. The black rubicon recon is becoming my favorite color/trim now. First place was white, then granite, then sting grey but Black has moved to the top of the list for now. Just curious of thoughts on black paint from other owners. Purchasing a JLUR within 2-3 months.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I love my black Sahara! I have a CA car duster that I use to help keep it clean!

Last edited:

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
I got a 19 jlu sport in black,don't get me wrong black looks badass and i love my wrangler, however i think i would've liked one that was coloured. Keeping it cleaned and polished isn't high on my list as i take it wheeling a few times a month, and it would be the same despite the color

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My JLR black, my VW SUV black, my JKUS was black. Look great. By the time I dust it I have to start all over. Two colors look best Sarge Green for retro look and black.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
FWIW: If you go this route, (perfectly cool, but I did not) I seem to recall that the paint color code for the body is different than a non painted black hard top...

I think the color for the top is different depending upon whether you get a color matched top---that happens to be painted black, or the base black hard top owners get with a non paint matched hard top. Perhaps someone else knows more about this.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
The biggest thing I've noticed with mine is that the smallest of scratches tend to be very visible, almost eye-catching. It's also hard to keep clean but I think that's not as much of an issue with a Jeep as it would have been with a luxury or sports car. I wouldn't call either of those a regret though, maybe an inconvenience at most. My other choice was a white one :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone regret choosing black paint? Snapchat-761495001

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I know how difficult it is to keep clean but it’s the most rewarding color when it’s time to shine. The black rubicon recon is becoming my favorite color/trim now. First place was white, then granite, then sting grey but Black has moved to the top of the list for now. Just curious of thoughts on black paint from other owners. Purchasing a JLUR within 2-3 months.
I don't own a black jeep, but in the past found that black in the sun gets soft when it is hot. I had a black car long ago and the bugs on the front of the car were embedded in the paint, and swirl marks you could see from 10 feet away. They do look awesome when clean and polished though.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't own a black jeep, but in the past found that black in the sun gets soft when it is hot. I had a black car long ago and the bugs on the front of the car were embedded in the paint, and swirl marks you could see from 10 feet away. They do look awesome when clean and polished though.
I think black is so bland though, and soaks up the heat far more than you'd like.. Wrangler is really designed for colors that pop. Any color looks awesome when clean and polished so that isn’t anything remarkable really..

It does play well as a secondary 'highlight' color to contrast your base color though..

Last edited:

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I've owned a few black vehicles years ago and swore I would never buy another, I'm super picky and hated the instantly dusty issue and swirls that show up over time and small thin scratches show up easily. Well, we done it again, my wife's new Durango is black. It looked so beautiful new at the dealer, we've had it a year now and still looks good but because of us the owner of the local carwash jumped to a new tax bracket. I swear the dang thing gets dirty just setting in the garage!!

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I’m the black Jeep of the family!
I like black cars, although Ocean Blue is starting to catch my eye...
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone regret choosing black paint? 90DFA36C-7499-4981-B35A-790B8EA8AADD

OP
OP

Chogers73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H
My JLR black, my VW SUV black, my JKUS was black. Look great. By the time I dust it I have to start all over. Two colors look best Sarge Green for retro look and black.
I did see a Sarge Green JKU yesterday while browsing at a dealership. I think I would move that color to second on my list!

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Will you be taking your rig through any car washes? If so, I would go with a different color. I have had several black cars over the years and all of them show swirls after a couple of washes.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It depends. If you like washing, waxing, taking care of your paint then Black is a great color to get. You'll always have an excuse to do something wash related. If you're not that type of guy it's not a great color choice then(assuming a dirty car, scratches, swirls etc bother you). I take care of my brothers black JKU and his fiances Compass every month or so. They're not perfect but are in pretty good shape. Good enough to make me consider black if I ever upgrade to a Rubicon.

I would avoid any automatic washes. Touchless doesn't agitate anything so they do a worse job of cleaning.
Sponsored