Anyone Regret Modding To Soon?!?

MrSahara19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Owning my first Jeep now 2 mos, and falling back into old but fun habits of the modding days, I seem to wonder a lot lately if I should space out my modding so that I really enjoy the car and anticipate the upgrades as they come naturally (not jump the gun every week as I started to do initially) and buy all the fun things so soon …. I mean don't get me wrong I am not a fan of 100% stock OEM , walking out to my DD Jeep and seeing stock wheels and tires makes me cringe , however I look forward to the day I can upgrade to a 2.5" lift and some 35s at the very least … but again if I did everything at the dealer (or if I would have purchased the Sport soft top with fuel wheels and cube lights already installed) I think I would have been not bored but routine with the car by now , nothing to look forward to doing to it ,

In my defense and I know most will say there is always something to do to the Jeep which is true however as a DD I wont be getting to crazy with off road equipment/parts etc so wheels/tires some interior mods (aux 4 port switch, ) maybe some rock lighting under carriage and a new bumper maybe it for me ...
Sponsored

STG01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Get the most of your mods and do them ASAP :)

Seems like there are endless amounts of smaller mods that can keep one busy forever.

Those with the “mod bug” can have serious issues with a Jeep :clap:

My wheel/tire package can’t come fast enough!! Custom Offsets seems to be great so far.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Unless you are into the aesthetics thing.....do the mods as you find a purpose for them. It's much more rewarding to identify a problem and work through it than just blowing a wad of cash and finding out that you just made your rig un-driveable for the wife (at least in her perception...ask me how I know).

I tend to go slow on the mods and read about other peoples experiences first....living vicariously through their triumphs and mistakes. :)

Doc

Sponsored

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Isn’t that the point?? LOL
NO man...it was painful (mostly because she was right) I lifted our FJ Cruiser and while it looked cool and was great offroad, I really screwed it for anything over 60mph. 10 years of listening to that....just sayin'

Happy wife....happy wife. Now you understand why I have like 8 cars

Doc

OP
OP
MrSahara19

MrSahara19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
NO man...it was painful (mostly because she was right) I lifted our FJ Cruiser and while it looked cool and was great offroad, I really screwed it for anything over 60mph. 10 years of listening to that....just sayin'

Happy wife....happy wife. Now you understand why I have like 8 cars

Doc
That's funny, but so true, all I hear currently is stop doing things to it that will make me not want to drive it anymore....and I haven't even scratched the surface yet …

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I added 35s within a few thousand miles and then did the bumper\winch combo. I also added a CB because that's pretty much mandatory for me. I knew I would want those before I started wheeling so I just got them done.

.....do the mods as you find a purpose for them.
I was going to wait on armor, but after a few belly scrapes last weekend I might be re-evaluating that idea. I do know I will be getting a lift next year and that will help slow down the rate of scraping, but armor is much cheaper than a lift. I'll just have to see what I can afford.

Plus I have to remember that wheeling season is only here for 2 more months. It might make more sense to just wait on everything and save my pennies because next season will cost me $$mucho-bux$$.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I do the mods that I actually will use and need first. I like to do short trail rides, camp outings etc with the family so I focus on those type of mods like Lift, Tailgate Table, Side steps for kids, 12v fridge for our beach trips, etc. etc. I really never do mods for LOOKS etc. My next phase will be self recovery, so Ill need a bumper and winch at minimum. Then later I'll focus on the rear bumper and carrier etc.

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
This is my third jeep. The previous 2, I had lifted and newer tires on within the 1st month. This one, I've just been doing smaller mods due to just being too busy and money going towards fixing up a rental house. Once that is done, I'll have more money to spend on this jeep. It really hasn't bothered me all that much. Sure I'd like to sit up higher with bigger tires, but I've also spent more time researching things I want to do to this jeep more than I did to the other two jeeps. Still happy with it.

Sponsored

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Owning my first jeep as well, also a Sahara. It's been a vehicle I've wanted for a long time. Did tons of research. Factory ordered the jeep. I've had it for two weeks now. It's already at a shop getting lifted with wheels and tires and bumpers. I felt very comfortable with the decisions I made based on the research I did and with my expectations for how I plan to use the jeep. I may be adding the mods a bit too soon in some people's eyes, I get that, but I am confident with that choice. I can't wait to see how it looks and how it performs though.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Do what needs to be done according to your needs, not according to what the internet says. There’s no point in a lift and 35s if stock handles what you do with ease.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Plus I have to remember that wheeling season is only here for 2 more months. It might make more sense to just wait on everything and save my pennies because next season will cost me $$mucho-bux$$.
Thats not entirely true. You can run Liberty/Patriot/Independence down in Penrose almost year round and Chinamans somehow manages to avoid the snow as well but yes all the higher elevation stuff has a narrow wheeling window (especially this year)

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I think I slightly regret not doing all of the really expensive mods right up front. It becomes harder and harder to spend big bucks later down the road in my head

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I have a "mostly" stock Rubicon. No lift, wheels, or tires. That being said I've still managed to put in over $3K of upgrades. A big chunk of that is new bumpers, winch, and the Sunrider for the hardtop. But other things like aux reverse lights, dash cams, fire extinguisher, mud flaps, cargo area cover, floor mats, grab handles, sill guards, tow hitch, sun shade, locking hood latches and gas cap... amazing how much you can spend without doing anything major. My Jeep still looks more or less stock... but I did the upgrades that were important to me.

I don't think you can mod anything "too soon" unless you do something before you're sure it's right for you. Like if you go for a cheap lift instead of a quality lift and end up replacing the cheap lift down the road.

Otherwise enjoy your Jeep, bone stock or heavily modded... it's still a Jeep!!
Sponsored