Sponsored

Anyone install Freedom Panel Hinge system from EZTrunk?

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Has anyone installed the Freedom Panel Hinge system from EZTrunk? Reactions if you have or if you have looked at it.

Thanks
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you meant these? (Not from www.EZTrunk.net): https://ezuft.com/flip-go/

I have absolutely no experience with these hinges, haven't seen anything more than an online video, but they seem like a well-intentioned, but in the end, woeful way to break/crack/damage your hardtop in short order.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The version I saw was flat hinges bonded to the hard top with 3M adhesive tape, the above video shows through bolted strap type hinges. Either version looks great, hopefully pricing and availability will follow

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Well Dang, those look awesome, and at that price point I think I would have gone, may still go, that route instead of the Bestop.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
From seeing both versions in videos, the EZtrunk version, with its 3M adhesive bonding, has more surface area to distribute the bearing load, and does not require drilling through the hard top ; BUT, availability and price are not shown. The EZLuft version is available, and priced at $350 for my JL. Very tempting ! I'm glad to see these products, the monopoly of over- priced Bestops products are getting competition !

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I almost got these a while ago, but the semi-permanent nature of my roof bars and box would make them useless. They seem great for a bare roof though.

I did worry a little bit about bird droppings on the panel when opened, then closing them and having tbe Poop of Damocles hanging overhead.

As it is, I pull only the driver-side panel and strap it down in the rear footwell almost every fair-weather ride.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Great idea. Imagine the tops flying off on the highway?
I wonder what kind of damage could be done from the tops rubbing against each other and how much wind noise is this going to make?
Who's going to be the guinea pig?
I sent a message on their website using contact us with some questions and to see who actually has this installed already.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I will happily be the " Guinea Pig" for the EZtrunk bonded hinge set ; adhesive bonding for body panels is widely used, the Freedom panel is locked in place when in the open position. The video, should any one actually watch it, is informative. Pricing and availability have yet to be posted on their website

Sponsored

Luv_My_Junk

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in Snazzberry
I would have considered something like this for my JK because of the screw-in pieces in the back of the panel. But the JL is a 30 second removal.
These hinges look like they might damage the hard top by pulling the front up and possibly separating the top portion due to wind resistance.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Since the EzTrunk are not actually available, I got tired of waiting, and found a NIB Twill Sunrider for my hardtop.
Patience paid off, at a price point that I was happy with.
Sidestepped lack of availability, and Manufacturers Greed nicely.

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Islander
Has anyone installed the Freedom Panel Hinge system from EZTrunk? Reactions if you have or if you have looked at it.

Thanks
Got it, love it. No drilling required. If you're worried about the security of the 3M tape, no need. My worry is how the hell to get it off if the time ever comes.
Sponsored