Anyone fold down their windshield?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Is there something made specifically to hold it to the hood?
Yes, but that's one downside to the JLs. I gave Mark Allen grief about this a couple of years ago.

On every generation before it you could use practically anything in a pinch. Now it's a more complex setup.

Mopar offers tie-downs that attach to the windshield and the two bumpers, but I don't know whether they're shipped with each JL.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/windshield-tie-downs-wrangler-jl-82215717
Sponsored

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Not legal in california.

Have not done offroad because id like to keep my teeth intact.
Iā€™m not 100% sure thatā€™s true. I live in CA and asked a CHP buddy of mine about it. It says any car equipped with a windshield in the law. The Jeep is equipped with one that folds down per manufacture and DOT approval. You would need goggles but it is arguable itā€™s legal. It certainly is off road.

Beer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 f250 Lariat, 2019 Corvette Z06
Wow you're lucky, we lost Drive in's about 40 years ago here in NY. That is a good idea thou.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Iā€™m not 100% sure thatā€™s true. I live in CA and asked a CHP buddy of mine about it. It says any car equipped with a windshield in the law. The Jeep is equipped with one that folds down per manufacture and DOT approval. You would need goggles but it is arguable itā€™s legal. It certainly is off road.
People have been pulled and given warnings for this. I have a friend who was pulled over around azusa as he was driving to the OHV park. No ticket, just a warning. He was wearing glasses.

Idk why a police officer would bother to stop someone over this. Pretty lame imo.

Ive seen officers stare at my jeep when I am driving doors off. I hope it is just cause they think the jeep is cool, and not to check if I have mirrors. I do.

My buddy takes the doors off often and has no mirrors. Has not been pulled over.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I tried! I even bought windshield tie-down straps at the dealership! Then after multiple attempts trying to get the windshield to fold down, and failing, I find that the Sky One Touch is not capable of folding down the windshield. Nothing mentioned in the manual, nothing at all to tell you that. You just have to search the forums, find some obscure post, and realize that you would have known to search for Windshield and Sky One Touch in order to have figured out what the problem was in the first place!

Needless to say, no, I haven't had a chance to fold down my windshield. But it wasn't for a lack of motivation and effort.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That's why I left California and came back home to Texas. Nearly everything that is worthwhile is either illegal, causes cancer, or just sucks in California.
True. :LOL::crying:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We fold it down and drive around every 4th of July. Clear views of the fireworks. I love it, wife hates it. šŸ˜€
Get her one of these
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone fold down their windshield? 71IBSmmOdCL._AC_SL1500_

Sponsored

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
That's my thought also. For how few that probably drop the windshield , get rid of it.
Subaru's windshield doesn't fold. Really!!! This is a feature that separates Jeep from all other crap out there.
Wow. Next the 4 wheel drive will become a pain. Can't believe some of this. There's true Jeep blood then there's people who bought a Jeep to drive as a regular car....which it's NOT!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No frigging way. There is too much fun to be had and everything in California that's fun is illegal. If the CA AG knew the fun I've had, he'd make Papillon's incarceration seem like a French beach vacation. I heard that the governor is going to sign a bill that requires all vehicles to pass a fun test to get it on a list of approved vehicles. Those that are too much fun, will be banned. Goodbye JL.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Bah. Worried about wind noise? Really? You can always buy a Bronco.
Such an ignorant comment. You're only allowed to drive a JL if you don't care about wind noise?

I had an idea that somewhat solves this problem, or at least reduces it. Most of the wind seems to come through between the door and "sport bar", particularly at the rear of the door. You can check this with your hand while driving.

I bent a piece of sheetmetal to block the wind.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone fold down their windshield? 6326A5B0-D364-4497-9705-1F2FFA225C40
Can you do a write up on this? I'm very, very interested.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Such an ignorant comment. You're only allowed to drive a JL if you don't care about wind noise?
There's no way Jeep is going to make the windshield feature optional. Too much money for too little gain.

So, effectively what you're asking for is: take the feature away.

The removable top? Also adds to NVH. Shall we eliminate that too? Maybe not the top, but definitely the doors, because who removes those?

You don't buy a Wrangler for a comfortable ride. Jeep has done a remarkable job of improving the comfort without compromising (much?) on its heritage. Let's celebrate what they've accomplished without taking away that heritage.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
to be honest. i wouldnt even bother folding down the windshied on any model wranglers from willys to jl. but i cant fold mine down due the a pillar lights. that would be the same if i had an older jeep.
Sponsored