Sponsored

Anyone else having issues with Rockslide Engineering steps?

4WHLFUN

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have to agree with some of the negative comments. Was quick to buy a JL back in 2018 and these slides were one of my first mods. They take a LOT of maintenance if you wheel or live in winter climates. In the summer they get sticky with dirt and winter they freeze and/or get messed up with snow/salt.

For the price and the fact that Rockslide calls themselves engineers in their name, this is unacceptable. These pivot points could have had better shielding or sealed bearings and this wouldn’t be a problem.

When they work, they are phenomenal but when they don’t (and you have a lifted Jeep and kids) they are a real headache. I find I have to wash/blow out and re-lube way too often.
Sponsored

MrCntry

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
We have had ours for a couple of years. The last few months the drivers side comes down really abruptly (Like it should), But will not go all the way back up. Just goes up about an inch and stops. I have to help it up the rest of the way if I want them all the way up. Can't do that when I get in the vehicle though, so I have to drive with one side down. I have lubed them a lot but that doesn't help at all. I saw a video that states there is a gas spring, that they don't use on their Gen 3's, that has gone bad. It is a known issue obviously, which is why they don't use the Gas spring anymore. My Wife called them up and they confirmed it is most likely the gas spring since the steps come down really quick and easy. They answered the phone and were helpful. Too bad they didn't just warrant the part they know was bad. We just moved to Arizona when this started happening. We were in California before the move. So very little rain / mud in both states. :) Just dirt / dust.

The gas spring are only $15.00 but now I am wondering how often they will go out. I think they should last longer than a couple years. We bought 2 of them just in case the passenger side goes out..

I am sure I have to take the step completely off to replace the gas spring. Not looking forward to it as it cools down to about 95 here at 5am. :) It was just 118' yesterday. I don't have a house yet so no climate controlled garage with a lift..... LOL

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
When they worked they were great. After 4 (Wisconsin) winters the drivers side failed. Removed the bad step and found (very) much rust and corrosion. Got the Gen2 rebuild kit and found it doesn't include some associated custom spacers, and motor and bracket bolts. Phoned support and got sent the same bag of nuts and bolts as was included with the rebuild kit - apparently Gen2 is so obsolete that some replacement parts are no longer made(?). Found some reasonable facsimiles at the hardware. Finding much (more) frustration with vague web required "installation videos" as rebuild continues (in the barn with no web). Losing interest in career rebuild project and phone adventures and beginning to consider cutting losses and getting alternative (permanent) steps. Other jeep had competitor retractable steps and they failed too, but were covered under warranty. Learning from experience (all) retractable steps are, in the end, just a plain bad idea.

Last edited:

thewise1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Turbo 2door Stingray Sport and 6cyl 4door White Sahara
Installed Rebuild kit successfully and step slidder is working again, wasn't sure I got it right and maybe got lucky but it works, All good! :)
Sponsored

Last edited: