Sponsored

Another New Owner

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I just bought myself a new 2018 JL Unlimited yesterday. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait to pick it up until next Saturday. :( I'm waiting for some money next week.

A Jeep w/the options I wanted was no where to be found anywhere here in California, 2018 or 2019, so it looked like I was going to have to order one.

Doing a nation wide search out there of one w/exactly what I wanted, happened to show up in Las Vegas, 250 miles from where I live, well almost exactly I should say, but close. The dealer actually had two, though each one was missing one item vs. another.

One had everything, except for the Anti-Spin Rear Differential (Limited-Slip), while the other had it, but was missing the Tinted Windows I wanted. So I took a spin over to Vegas to take a look, a long four hour ride, and ended up w/a new Jeep. I went for the model w/the Anti-Spin Rear Differential vs. the one w/the Tinted Windows, since I can easily, and cheaply, have the windows tinted vs. the cost of getting a limited slip installed.

The model I was looking for was a 2018/2019:
Standard JL Sport Unlimited
Firecracker Red
6 Speed Manual Transmission
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group Package
Anti-Spin Rear Differential
3-Piece Black Freedom Hard Top
Tinted Windows

What I ended up with is:
Everything, except for the Tinted Windows.
To add to that, it also came w/the Sirius XM Sat Radio, which I could care less for, as well as 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Tech Silver Aluminum Wheels with 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires vs. the Standard Black Steel Wheels, which it was suppose to have, but somehow got replaced by the dealer.

Plans for upgrades, I'll immediately have the windows tinted, before christening it off road. It's very dusty around here, so I prefer getting the windows done before I get all that dust over everything. I also want to get the engine broken in a bit as well.

As for other items, I want to add the Rubicon side rails, which I'm sure I can find used from someone, since most people replace them, and a winch package, w/a Warn 8000 lbs. w/the Jeep Steel Bumper/Mounting Kit. I already have the Jeep Trail Rated Kit, w/straps and such, which use to be offered w/the purchase of a new Jeep in the past. Have the wheels painted black.

I have no plans to add BIG over sized wheels/aggressive tires, since this is my only transportation. I also don't do rock climbing, and from my experience doing offroading over the years, both here in California, and up in Washington state, where I'm from, the only real, and HIGHLY recommended add on is, a winch.

I've owned a few Jeeps over the years, w/my last being, a 2014 Willys Unlimited, which is where I got the Jeep Trail Rated Kit from. Sadly I had to sell it because of a job loss. :(

By the way, that dealership over in Vegas has an unbelievably amount of Jeep Wranglers in stock. I've never seen so many. Out of them, only two had a manual transmission, the two I looked at, which is getting harder and harder to even find since most people want the automatics. :( Needless to say, I'm no fan of automatics. I've seen too many fail over the years.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
If it makes you feel good it sounds like you did everything "correct."

* You didn't end up with features you didn't want.

* The features you wanted and didn't get are easily acquirable after market, often at better quality/less price. Perhaps the only downside to this play, and in your case a small one, is the "if it ain't on the sticker it ain't factored into replacing a rig by the insurance company in the event of total loss...." NOT a biggie here.

* The cost of your time and mileage to Vegas was probably worth it to you, as was probably not waiting on a factory order or the potential savings such an alternative might have provided you in price. Restated, it sounds like you were willing to pay in price and travel and time for having the rig now versus maybe 2 months from now on a factory order.

Ride in good health.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Hi, I just bought myself a new 2018 JL Unlimited yesterday. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait to pick it up until next Saturday. :( I'm waiting for some money next week.

A Jeep w/the options I wanted was no where to be found anywhere here in California, 2018 or 2019, so it looked like I was going to have to order one.

Doing a nation wide search out there of one w/exactly what I wanted, happened to show up in Las Vegas, 250 miles from where I live, well almost exactly I should say, but close. The dealer actually had two, though each one was missing one item vs. another.

One had everything, except for the Anti-Spin Rear Differential (Limited-Slip), while the other had it, but was missing the Tinted Windows I wanted. So I took a spin over to Vegas to take a look, a long four hour ride, and ended up w/a new Jeep. I went for the model w/the Anti-Spin Rear Differential vs. the one w/the Tinted Windows, since I can easily, and cheaply, have the windows tinted vs. the cost of getting a limited slip installed.

The model I was looking for was a 2018/2019:
Standard JL Sport Unlimited
Firecracker Red
6 Speed Manual Transmission
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group Package
Anti-Spin Rear Differential
3-Piece Black Freedom Hard Top
Tinted Windows

What I ended up with is:
Everything, except for the Tinted Windows.
To add to that, it also came w/the Sirius XM Sat Radio, which I could care less for, as well as 17-Inch x 7.5-Inch Tech Silver Aluminum Wheels with 245/75R17 All-Terrain Tires vs. the Standard Black Steel Wheels, which it was suppose to have, but somehow got replaced by the dealer.

Plans for upgrades, I'll immediately have the windows tinted, before christening it off road. It's very dusty around here, so I prefer getting the windows done before I get all that dust over everything. I also want to get the engine broken in a bit as well.

As for other items, I want to add the Rubicon side rails, which I'm sure I can find used from someone, since most people replace them, and a winch package, w/a Warn 8000 lbs. w/the Jeep Steel Bumper/Mounting Kit. I already have the Jeep Trail Rated Kit, w/straps and such, which use to be offered w/the purchase of a new Jeep in the past. Have the wheels painted black.

I have no plans to add BIG over sized wheels/aggressive tires, since this is my only transportation. I also don't do rock climbing, and from my experience doing offroading over the years, both here in California, and up in Washington state, where I'm from, the only real, and HIGHLY recommended add on is, a winch.

I've owned a few Jeeps over the years, w/my last being, a 2014 Willys Unlimited, which is where I got the Jeep Trail Rated Kit from. Sadly I had to sell it because of a job loss. :(

By the way, that dealership over in Vegas has an unbelievably amount of Jeep Wranglers in stock. I've never seen so many. Out of them, only two had a manual transmission, the two I looked at, which is getting harder and harder to even find since most people want the automatics. :( Needless to say, I'm no fan of automatics. I've seen too many fail over the years.
I have the rubicon side rails I pulled off at 200 miles if you are interested.

JahRomo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I was in a similar situation. Searched forever and finally found one that was "almost" there and finally pulled the trigger. 2 Dr Manual and Sting Gray but no tow package or LED's. Figured I could add them on later. Now 3 weeks later this baby comes available. Plus she has steel bumpers, matching fenders and heated seats/steering.

So now a little buyers regret, but would probably lose too much to trade, so I guess I am still going to be changing myself. Why did I even do another search. :angry:

https://www.pauldingchryslerdodgeje...r-rubicon-4x4-sport-utility-1c4hjxcg6jw299073

Rubi 1.jpg

Rubi 1a.jpg

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I was in a similar situation. Searched forever and finally found one that was "almost" there and finally pulled the trigger. 2 Dr Manual and Sting Gray but no tow package or LED's. Figured I could add them on later. Now 3 weeks later this baby comes available. Plus she has steel bumpers, matching fenders and heated seats/steering.

So now a little buyers regret, but would probably lose too much to trade, so I guess I am still going to be changing myself. Why did I even do another search. :angry:

https://www.pauldingchryslerdodgeje...r-rubicon-4x4-sport-utility-1c4hjxcg6jw299073

Rubi 1.jpg

Rubi 1a.jpg
I know what you mean. :(

From what I have read here about the LED's, while brighter, they don't put out much heat, which appears to be a problem when it comes to melting snow. You being in Colorado, that may be of a concern. Someone mentioned that there are aftermarket ones which have heaters in them, which you might consider.

As for the tow package, you can install a hitch and get it wired for a trailer, as well as add a heavy duty alternator.

The matching fenders and the steel bumper can be added as well.

As for everything else, such as the heated seats/steering, those may be a problem.

Your losses in trade could be used instead to add those feature's which you didn't get. ;)
Sponsored