Another New Jeep Owner Question

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Hey guys, soon to be new, first time jeep owner here. I should be picking up my ordered punk'n jlu Sahara 2.0 tomorrow (fingers crossed). I already have a build planned for it. I am not doing the work myself, bringing it to a shop. I'm getting a lift, wheels, tires, front and rear bumpers, and side rails added.

My question arises because we set a tentative date for Monday July 8th for me to bring the jeep into the shop. This gives me potentially just a week with the jeep before I make some big changes to it. Do you guys think it's OK to go ahead with that planned date or is that too soon? Do I need to break the jeep in a little more before all that or keep it stock to be able to check for any issues? Or will it be ok to go ahead with them build? Just curious for some opinions and personal experiences.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Personally, I would wait awhile before you do any mods. Put some miles on it, break it in, enjoy it. Get familiar with it. If potential issues arise with axle, drive train, transmission, or anything related to your lift, the dealer can refuse to service it. Void your warranty. This is just from personal experience and what others have experienced on this forum. It's completely up to you, of course and how comfortable you are with it. Hold onto your original parts! I've had to put them back on before the dealer would touch my Jeep when my rear axle crapped out.

Last edited:

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
As it’s your first Jeep I wonder how it is you know what you want to upgrade before you’ve got it?

We can very easily spend/waste a lot of money on these upgrades. Run it stock for a little while, learn about what you need. It’s already very capable.

I agree with @HiJinx69 he beat me to it.

Great choice of colour, enjoy.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Once you go aftermarket on the lift, the warranty coverage on suspension and steering related issues will be basically gone. Other than that, the mods you have planned don’t affect much at all. It’s really just the lift you have to worry about.

I’d recommend putting a few thousand miles on it first, cover all the normal driving situations you plan on being in during the life of the Jeep.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
When I got my first Wrangler, I already had the mods waiting to be put on. So you do whatever you think is best. If you went and bought one that was already modded then you wouldn't know what stock drove like unless you test drove one or you had a buddy with one. I doubt it but you might not like it after you mod it.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
As it’s your first Jeep I wonder how it is you know what you want to upgrade before you’ve got it?

We can very easily spend/waste a lot of money on these upgrades. Run it stock for a little while, learn about what you need. It’s already very capable.

I agree with @HiJinx69 he beat me to it.

Great choice of colour, enjoy.
I assume most people do these upgrades for aesthetic purposes.

OP
OP
MrEMan1287

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might push the build back a little bit. As @HiJinx69 and @mwilk012 said, I think I should get used to it a little bit first. I'm most concerned with a factory issue that I might miss by having the jeep modded too soon. I've read of some issues that a few people have had. My luck, I'll be one of them, haha. So I don't want to void any warranties or have the dealer refuse to service.

I appreciate your input @Digger70 with your experience. Glad to hear it went well for you and you make a good point.

@Rudolph Hart I have been doing research for quite some time on jeeps. It took me almost a year to place my factory order as I was researching to figure out what the best options were for me, included in the jeep, and aftermarket. A lot of time spent lurking here on this forum too, lol. I know that doesn't give me experience behind the wheel though. So I appreciate your skepticism as it allows me to get some other viewpoints. I do feel pretty confident in my decisions on aftermarket parts. And yes, I'm doing it for aesthetic purposes as well.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Out of curiosity, what parts are you planning on putting on specifically? I’m sure it will turn out great.

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Thanks for all the replies. I think I might push the build back a little bit. As @HiJinx69 and @mwilk012 said, I think I should get used to it a little bit first. I'm most concerned with a factory issue that I might miss by having the jeep modded too soon. I've read of some issues that a few people have had. My luck, I'll be one of them, haha. So I don't want to void any warranties or have the dealer refuse to service.

I appreciate your input @Digger70 with your experience. Glad to hear it went well for you and you make a good point.

@Rudolph Hart I have been doing research for quite some time on jeeps. It took me almost a year to place my factory order as I was researching to figure out what the best options were for me, included in the jeep, and aftermarket. A lot of time spent lurking here on this forum too, lol. I know that doesn't give me experience behind the wheel though. So I appreciate your skepticism as it allows me to get some other viewpoints. I do feel pretty confident in my decisions on aftermarket parts. And yes, I'm doing it for aesthetic purposes as well.
Research is half the fun!
I spent a lot of time deciding between getting a new or used Wrangler Sport S. All sorts of websites visited and test rides taken. Yes, I enjoyed it all.
I placed my order, finally, on June 19 and should be picking it up next week. Then the other half of the fun begins.
So far I've only decided to get the undercoating done and get a AJT fob to replace the massive Jeep remote. Everything else can wait as I get used to my new ride. No need to rush into anything.

Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Take it for a pretty long test drive before you sign final paperwork. If you have any issues at all the dealer will be more than happy to fix all issues in hopes you will buy it.

OP
OP
MrEMan1287

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Out of curiosity, what parts are you planning on putting on specifically? I’m sure it will turn out great.
Rancho Rs7000mt suspension system w/ dual stabilizer
AMP Terrain Attack A/T 35x12.5 tires
KMC Boneyard 18x10 wheels
Smittybilt SRC Gen2 front and rear bumpers
Go Rhino Dominator D6 side steps

Thoughts?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Rancho Rs7000mt suspension system w/ dual stabilizer
AMP Terrain Attack A/T 35x12.5 tires
KMC Boneyard 18x10 wheels
Smittybilt SRC Gen2 front and rear bumpers
Go Rhino Dominator D6 side steps

Thoughts?
Why the 18" wheel?

OP
OP
MrEMan1287

MrEMan1287

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sahara 2.0t
Why the 18" wheel?
As mentioned, part of the reason for the build is aesthetics. These wheels looked really cool and that's the size they came in, so that's what I got. The jeep will also be a daily driver first and when off road, it will mostly be lighter trails and driving around gravel back roads around a farm. I don't think a smaller wheel is necessary for my purposes. And if my purposes change... I can always buy new wheels...
Sponsored