Sponsored

New (potential) Jeep owner with a dumb question....

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan GTS, Range Rover Sport
Well the saying is there's no dumb ones, but I was in the process of getting my first Wrangler, and couldn't figure out if I wanted to get the Rubicon or the Sahara.

After lurking I realized the Rubicon is a great deal, but it seems to be missing the all-important full time AWD of the Sahara (which is an option i'd like to have).

My question is: Why doesn't the Rubicon or any of the other models offer full time AWD? I'm assuming there's lots of situations where you're driving at higher speed on relatively slippery services and having instantaneous torque transfer to any of the tires would help immensely.

For example, if i'm going up to Lake Tahoe on a highway at around 35-45mph and it's raining heavily or even snowing, but not enough that I would want to shift into 4H on something like the Rubicon, wouldn't it behoove me to have full time AWD?

Thanks for the answer, because I cannot decide now if i'm going Rubicon or Sahara because of this concern. Or is my concern unfounded?
Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I am not quite sure what you are asking, I think the AWD system only activates when a wheel looses traction, therefore why not just shift into 4HI.... People drive in those conditions all the time with 2wd vehicles. BUT if one model has what YOU want, then why not just get the Sahara over the Rubicon.

I think the AWD system was to attract other potential customers to a Wrangler.

OP
OP

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not quite sure what you are asking, I think the AWD system only activates when a wheel looses traction, therefore why not just shift into 4HI.... People drive in those conditions all the time with 2wd vehicles. BUT if one model has what YOU want, then why not just get the Sahara over the Rubicon.

I think the AWD system was to attract other potential customers to a Wrangler.
Maybe I should rephrase my question. It appears that with every model OTHER than the Sahara, you can ONLY drive in 2WD OR 4WD (high or low). However, it's not a good idea to use 4WD on the pavement because of wheel hop.

So I'm wondering, is the only way to have AWD all the time to get the Sahara? I just don't understand why the Rubicon doesn't allow that. It would appear that the Rubicon and all the other models are terrible for normal driving because they're only 2wd on pavement.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
I think the rubicon owners want a more simple and low gear ratio of the transfer case. Sahara is geared towards comfort. Like rumble fish they can put that feature into their comfort model if you will to attract those type of buyers.
I love having awd in wifes subaru but Jeep you just have to use your best judgement to when to safely use the 4wd. Yes you will have some slippage from time to time in bad weather but its all about learning your vehicles limits and making the best call imo.

OP
OP

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the rubicon owners want a more simple and low gear ratio of the transfer case. Sahara is geared towards comfort. Like rumble fish they can put that feature into their comfort model if you will to attract those type of buyers.
I love having awd in wifes subaru but Jeep you just have to use your best judgement to when to safely use the 4wd. Yes you will have some slippage from time to time in bad weather but its all about learning your vehicles limits and making the best call imo.
I think you've answered my question. I just have experiences from my past off-road capable SUV's like the Range Rover/Land Cruiser/G-wagen where they were always full time AWD, and when the going got tough you either switched modes, or actually switched it to a low transfer case gear

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Maybe I should rephrase my question. It appears that with every model OTHER than the Sahara, you can ONLY drive in 2WD OR 4WD (high or low). However, it's not a good idea to use 4WD on the pavement because of wheel hop.

So I'm wondering, is the only way to have AWD all the time to get the Sahara? I just don't understand why the Rubicon doesn't allow that. It would appear that the Rubicon and all the other models are terrible for normal driving because they're only 2wd on pavement.
Jeep technically could put this on any model. But Rubicon is geared to more offroad centric buyers, whom of which are seeking a simple and strong transfer case that will give them a low gear ratio. Adding more parts to a jeep intended to be pushed pretty hard adds unnecessary complexity and more things that can break/create weak points.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I'm assuming there's lots of situations where you're driving at higher speed on relatively slippery services and having instantaneous torque transfer to any of the tires would help immensely.
Nope. I drive at speeds that the road conditions demand. Why would one drive at high speeds on relatively slippery roads? Does 4x4, or AWD help you stop your vehicle on relatively slippery roads? Will it help you from plowing into a family in vehicle that looses traction in front of you? SLOW DOWN!

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Nope. I drive at speeds that the road conditions demand. Why would one drive at high speeds on relatively slippery roads? Does 4x4, or AWD help you stop your vehicle on relatively slippery roads? Will it help you from plowing into a family in vehicle that looses traction in front of you? SLOW DOWN!
Agree and disagree, I think that AWD can be very beneficial. After living in the Aspen and now in Maine, sometimes the need for AWD has nothing to do with speed. Yes if slippery conditions definitely slow down. I think the OP is just trying to figure out why jeep didnt just make every transfer case with AWD

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
I ordered the Rubicon for the look I admit I won't clime rocks with it. I drive down some mud holes once in a while and the Sahara would do fine for that. I ordered the Rubicon for the meaner looking styling, red dash, better looking wheels and tires. AWD would have been an option I would probably serve me better and not have the lockers that I probably will never use.

OP
OP

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Rubicon for the look I admit I won't clime rocks with it. I drive down some mud holes once in a while and the Sahara would do fine for that. I ordered the Rubicon for the meaner looking styling, red dash, better looking wheels and tires. AWD would have been an option I would probably serve me better and not have the lockers that I probably will never use.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I do go offroading every now and then but am not rock crawling or doing anything that "hardcore". For me having full time AWD is pretty high on the list. There's definitely times where i've driven and you hit patches where it's slippery and others where it's not and full time AWD comes into handy then..

I do get why they want simple and effective for the Rubicon as well. I guess I should be going Sahara then..

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
Ride the winter with studded snow tires and it will make even a 2WD a champ in the snow.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

BaconIsAFruit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
You can shift into 4H up to 45 mph, so I don't see the problem. My former 2008 Sahara was this way (I could've sworn it was 55 mph in that owner's manual).

...I also fall into the Rubicon for the looks boat. I figured if I got a Sahara, the first thing I'd do is spend $2k on new wheels and tires so the Rubicon was justified for me. Having last driven a 2008, the JLU Rubicon feels like a Mercedes to me.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Well the saying is there's no dumb ones, but I was in the process of getting my first Wrangler, and couldn't figure out if I wanted to get the Rubicon or the Sahara.

After lurking I realized the Rubicon is a great deal, but it seems to be missing the all-important full time AWD of the Sahara (which is an option i'd like to have).

My question is: Why doesn't the Rubicon or any of the other models offer full time AWD? I'm assuming there's lots of situations where you're driving at higher speed on relatively slippery services and having instantaneous torque transfer to any of the tires would help immensely.

For example, if i'm going up to Lake Tahoe on a highway at around 35-45mph and it's raining heavily or even snowing, but not enough that I would want to shift into 4H on something like the Rubicon, wouldn't it behoove me to have full time AWD?

Thanks for the answer, because I cannot decide now if i'm going Rubicon or Sahara because of this concern. Or is my concern unfounded?
The waters can be muddy these days with 4 wheel drive. On the Sport/Rubicon, when in 4H at least one front and one rear wheel will get power no matter what. On the Sahara the transfer case has some slip mechanism (although I don't know the design). But in that Sahara situation either a front or rear wheel could get more power, in the extreme one wheel drive. The latter won't happen though, because adding muddy water to the mix, is how the Sahara tcase is capable of limiting the slippage, and also how the brake actuated electronic slip controls enter the mix on all 3 models. These days with the electronics it seems you never fail to gain some traction, but it will depend on how the mechanics and electronics interact. An argument can be made though, if you are mostly driving up to Tahoe on a highway in inclement weather, what are you getting a Rubicon for, there are probably better vehicles for that usage. If you are getting for the fantasy aspect, then realize the vehicle in reality may not meet your actual needs as well as some other vehicle.
Sponsored