Sponsored

New (potential) Jeep owner with a dumb question....

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I'm was in a similar situation as the OP but don't have another AWD to fall back on. I've seen several of us who realize the Sahara makes the most sense for them, and is capable of doing what we will ask of it, but prefer the more aggressive look of the Rubicon. I've considered selling the stock A/T tires and buying someone's K02's, but I'm surprised Jeep doesn't offer the hood and tires as another upgrade available to Sahara buyers. They should make the same profit, and it is the "luxury" trim right? It's probably best for my wallet that they don't.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I'm was in a similar situation as the OP but don't have another AWD to fall back on. I've seen several of us who realize the Sahara makes the most sense for them, and is capable of doing what we will ask of it, but prefer the more aggressive look of the Rubicon. I've considered selling the stock A/T tires and buying someone's K02's, but I'm surprised Jeep doesn't offer the hood and tires as another upgrade available to Sahara buyers. They should make the same profit, and it is the "luxury" trim right? It's probably best for my wallet that they don't.
There is an upgrade hood in the Mopar Jeep Performance Parts Catalogue that is quite nice.

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUR 2018 JLU Sahara
The full time 4WD is the main reason I choose to go with a sahara.
I use my jeep (unfortunately) as a DD more than an offroad vehicle.
I'm sure the sahara is still very capable offroad and with aftermarket and mods I don't think the difference in ability will be even noticeable to a novice like myself, especially considering how little I'll be seeing dirt/rocks.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
There is an upgrade hood in the Mopar Jeep Performance Parts Catalogue that is quite nice.
My wife is having a bit of sticker shock already, but I can always save up!

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
The full time 4WD is the main reason I choose to go with a sahara.
I use my jeep (unfortunately) as a DD more than an offroad vehicle.
I'm sure the sahara is still very capable offroad and with aftermarket and mods I don't think the difference in ability will be even noticeable to a novice like myself, especially considering how little I'll be seeing dirt/rocks.
As I have months to wait, I've been watching lots of JL and even JK videos and realized the stock Sport and Sahara are more than capable for my interests.

Sponsored

RadicalMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JKUR 2018 JLU Sahara
As I have months to wait, I've been watching lots of JL and even JK videos and realized the stock Sport and Sahara are more than capable for my interests.
A fellow forum member here has a great youtube channel showing off a lot of the capabilites of his Rubi check out Lite Brite for a lot of good stuff.
TFL I believe has a video up about the ability of a new stock JLU vs his son's lifted JK

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
ditto on the sport s - ordered with tons of options and for another 3 grand i can totally customize what i want, and still save over 3/4k versus rubicon

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Before my Rubicon (500 miles so far), most of my cars have been AWD with dedicate summer and winter tires (not the WJ). I had a 00 Grand Cherokee w/ Quadra Drive, 06 STi, 06 997 C4S Cab, 16 M235xi Cab. I've read number of responses which talk about 4wd doesn't help you stop, or if the conditions bad enough to require 4wd, then slow down, I get that, but those are not necessary the reasons why I really enjoy AWD.

1> In the rain, AWD just speed up quick and normal likes it's on dry with no spinning tires, especially going up hill.
2> In the rain, merging highway from a stop, or merging to moving traffic from strip mall (simple right turn), again no spinning tires on AWD.

Back to my Rubicon on 2WD, both ended up with spinning rear, and I need to ease up the gas.

Consider how easy for the rear tires to overpower wet roads, it is in my opinion that driving in 4H on wet paved is fine. I just don't think the BFG AT are grippy enough to put enough stress to the drivetrain when the road is wet.

Last edited:

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
Jeep technically could put this on any model. But Rubicon is geared to more offroad centric buyers, whom of which are seeking a simple and strong transfer case that will give them a low gear ratio. Adding more parts to a jeep intended to be pushed pretty hard adds unnecessary complexity and more things that can break/create weak points.
^^^^^^^
Sponsored