Sponsored

New (potential) Jeep owner with a dumb question....

OP
OP

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan GTS, Range Rover Sport
The waters can be muddy these days with 4 wheel drive. On the Sport/Rubicon, when in 4H at least one front and one rear wheel will get power no matter what. On the Sahara the transfer case has some slip mechanism (although I don't know the design). But in that Sahara situation either a front or rear wheel could get more power, in the extreme one wheel drive. The latter won't happen though, because adding muddy water to the mix, is how the Sahara tcase is capable of limiting the slippage, and also how the brake actuated electronic slip controls enter the mix on all 3 models. These days with the electronics it seems you never fail to gain some traction, but it will depend on how the mechanics and electronics interact. An argument can be made though, if you are mostly driving up to Tahoe on a highway in inclement weather, what are you getting a Rubicon for, there are probably better vehicles for that usage. If you are getting for the fantasy aspect, then realize the vehicle in reality may not meet your actual needs as well as some other vehicle.
Well, that was merely the first situation that popped up in my head. In retrospect i'd probably take one of my other full time AWD SUV's on that type of road, but my point still stands - wouldn't it have made more sense to have full time AWD to be able to handle all situations in the Rubicon? - Including situations where you're on pavement and don't want to have to constantly think about whether you should slow down below 55/45 (not sure which one it is), to shift into 4H, and then to do the opposite when the road going conditions seem better?

I'm going with the Jeep not for utility - that's for sure, but more for style AND the occasional California desert adventure. But the reality is 90% of the time it'll be in the city, and oil slicked pavement after a rain is probably what will be most important for this one to handle.
Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Well, that was merely the first situation that popped up in my head. In retrospect i'd probably take one of my other full time AWD SUV's on that type of road, but my point still stands - wouldn't it have made more sense to have full time AWD to be able to handle all situations in the Rubicon? - Including situations where you're on pavement and don't want to have to constantly think about whether you should slow down below 55/45 (not sure which one it is), to shift into 4H, and then to do the opposite when the road going conditions seem better?

I'm going with the Jeep not for utility - that's for sure, but more for style AND the occasional California desert adventure. But the reality is 90% of the time it'll be in the city, and oil slicked pavement after a rain is probably what will be most important for this one to handle.
I think the new Sahara SelecTrac option was created precisely for customers such as yourself who want FT4WD. It is still extremely capable off-road.

You may also want to consider the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk which has a sophisticated FT4WD system.

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
I too wish the Auto 4WD system was available in the Sport S I just ordered. I use it in my Ram a lot. On my typical drive to work the road can change from snow covered/ icy to bare several times. I rarely use 4Hi. I like the set and forget idea.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I too wish the Auto 4WD system was available in the Sport S I just ordered. I use it in my Ram a lot. On my typical drive to work the road can change from snow covered/ icy to bare several times. I rarely use 4Hi. I like the set and forget idea.
Kinda sucks it’s not available with a manual Sahara... it’s like « you know how to row your own gears, you’ll figure it out ! » lol

Last edited:

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
4 wheel auto is also beneficial for someone like my daughter. She is not sure when to put a vehicle in 4x4. We live in a very hilly area. She use's my truck [probley more than me] i tell her if the roads are a little slick just put it in 4x4 auto, then she don't have to worry about it.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it is simply to differentiate the models better. Sahara is the luxury SUV trim. It gets those features. Rubicon is the off-road trim. It gets those features. Sport is the base trim. It doesn't get all the features.

Jeep has decided to put the AWD feature on the Sahara. You can get most of that Rubicon look with tires and a small lift. If you want the AWD get the Sahara.

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Ride the winter with studded snow tires and it will make even a 2WD a champ in the snow.
correct! we’ve got a mini cooper with hakka pelitas and it drives like a truck in snow and ice

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
correct! we’ve got a mini cooper with hakka pelitas and it drives like a truck in snow and ice
Tires make the biggest difference. You can go AWD or 4x4 all you want, if your tires suck, you’re screwed. Got Nokians on our Sorento too, best tires ever

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Tires make the biggest difference. You can go AWD or 4x4 all you want, if your tires suck, you’re screwed. Got Nokians on our Sorento too, best tires ever
they really are insane - people just don’t get it. the day we got them, my son and i took it to a huge parking lot and did high speed crap and it moved and stopped like a beast - now he’s got that car up in vermont and takes it all over to snow board and can go out when there’s snow on the road, in a mini of all things

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
It's just not that kind of vehicle, and I'm happy they didn't move all models in that direction. There's only a handful of oldschool part-time 4wd vehicles available these days.

There's other choices for "what if I need it on one drive per year" awd vehicles. I think it helps the Sahara have its niche to even offer it. When I'm deep in the shit I'm gonna be happy each axle is getting half the power, rather than "only when the front absolutely needs it" power

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
This is something I wish more people understood. There's endless people that get Subaru's because "they need awd for winter safety".

Then they throw that out the window by running bald all-season tires.

My JL is never going to be disgraced with anything lower than an A/T tire. Very happy you can spec a Sport with them from the factory, in fact.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
This is something I wish more people understood. There's endless people that get Subaru's because "they need awd for winter safety".

Then they throw that out the window by running bald all-season tires.

My JL is never going to be disgraced with anything lower than an A/T tire. Very happy you can spec a Sport with them from the factory, in fact.
Exactly ! And unless you live in California, Texas or Florida, « ALL SEASON » tires are not a real thing ! Lol

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly ! And unless you leave in California, Texas or Florida, « ALL SEASON » tires are not a real thing ! Lol
They're called "all seasons" because they suck in all seasons

OP
OP

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan GTS, Range Rover Sport
May I offer another opinion? Full-time 4-wheel drive, like the Saharas have, is nice, but on-road manners work best with CV joints to eliminate traditional u-joint accelerate/decelerate phenomenon (crow-hop). U joints are stronger and much less prone to road or trail damage, but they are sometimes problematic on-road.
Part-time 4-wheel drive (Rubicon) is a better choice for someone who intends to use their Jeep offroad. Full-time 4-wheel drive (Sahara) may be better for people who would like full-time 4-wheel drive but want better driveline manners than u-joints provide.
They're called "all seasons" because they suck in all seasons

LOL..
Sponsored