Sponsored

Another JL - Specific Phone Mount Option

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ebelp

I'm running the same set-up. I'm using a different brand magnetic mount with the ProClip JL Mount.

YES, I agree with you 100% that this is an excellent way to go in regard to mounting a smart phone in a JL. Very functional, clean looking and not pricey at all. The ProClip mount is terrific.

As for the metal plates you need to have on the smart phone to use in conjunction with the magnetic mount.... I have placed two metal plates inside my Otter Box Commuter case and the smart phone itself.

Can say, that even on very bumpy roads, etc., the magnetic mount on the ProClip mount is solid.. the magnetic on the mount holds the smart phone (S8) tightly and securely.

Also, the magnetic mount has absolutely no impact on the smart phone, on the phones GPS.

Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! @Rhinebeck01 Yeah, I placed one magnet plate the the very top and at the very bottom (both rectangular plates, not the round ones) of my iPhone case, leaving the middle section unblocked since that's the area that needs to be clear so the wireless charging works.

I love this setup.

PhotoGuy

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tjwallerphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
"Stormie," A Base 2018 Granite Crystal JL Sport 2-door
Occupation
Professional Action Photographer
This is the phone mount I use. It's universal and works GREAT! Plus, at only 13 bucks you can't beat it.
It's super sturdy and can take a decent beating. It can adhere to the windshield but I keep it on my dash all the time since it's small.
Here's the link: https://amzn.to/2LtQB16

20181221_102305.jpg

20181221_102321.jpg

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Does the ProClip mount use a standard AMPS pattern to bolt the holder to the mount?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@lsmaverick

I do not have an answer to your question but can tell you that the mount is very stout and would lend itself to your drilling the necessary hole in a location on it that you desire.

The holes that are placed in the mount during manufacture are way tiny... they don't even look like they are patent.

Can tell you the ProClp Mount for JL is a top notch offering.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I've been a Pro-Clip fan for years. For every new vehicle (and there've been quite a few) that's the first thing I get. They are a first rate company who really takes their customer input seriously. Back a few years ago we purchased a mount for a new Civic (new body style hadn't been out long) and it had an annoying vibration at idle. I sent them a message and a picture with what I thought the problem was... less than a week later they sent me a new prototype to test out and they'd nailed the solution. I didn't ask for them to send me a new one, they just did and wanted to know if it worked better. That's how you build customer loyalty!

The mount for the JL puts the phone exactly where I want it. As others have said it's high enough to see, easy enough to reach, but doesn't obstruct outward view.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of good Proclip testimonials here. I agree that the mount is super solid and feel like you could drill into it wherever you needed to

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
The ProClip is solid. Mounted a RAM mount on it for holding my tablet. No probs being secure while off-roading.

3898A847-4F60-4F7C-9895-234AF4A285FE.jpeg

0DDDB861-03AD-4EE0-8262-E2FC14558E30.jpeg
Looks awesome!

lsmaverick

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
@lsmaverick

I do not have an answer to your question but can tell you that the mount is very stout and would lend itself to your drilling the necessary hole in a location on it that you desire.

The holes that are placed in the mount during manufacture are way tiny... they don't even look like they are patent.

Can tell you the ProClp Mount for JL is a top notch offering.
Thanks for the response! Yeah, from everything I've seen it seems to be a fine product. I decided to order the phone mount. Also, I ordered this phone holder from Amazon to save some money:

Panavise PortaGrip Phone Holder with AMPS Adapter Plate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO3HBK8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qYAsCb18SB4NZ

Someone in the reviews posted a photo of the holder being compatible with a ProClip mount. Once I get everything, I'll come back here and post a photo of the final setup.

Sponsored

jmcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara
Tried out a bunch of phone holders until I found one that worked. The photos show Pro Fit holder and a cheap Mpow from Amazon that simply attached to the 17 mm ball. When I originally installed the Pro Fit it blocked too much of the touch screen but adding the J-stem made it perfect. I also painted the silver metal black so it was less noticeable. The phone does not block any field of view and only block the AC vent slightly. Overall very satisfied.

phone1.jpg

phone2.jpg

Mrmobbster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLRU
I used the https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/dash-multi-mount-phone-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl
And I love it. Routed my usb through the dash so I didn’t have to fight the cord or look at it all the time. In hind sight I should have used a black cord. The thing I love about this mount is it adds depth to the dash tray and actually makes it usable. Downside is it is in you field of view. Other than that I love it.

0F3F0F40-1B87-434B-A728-6E8DDC9AD3E5.jpeg

71D8BF84-4526-49B8-A46D-054927FEAF2C.jpeg

adifabio

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
This one is magnetic and wireless charging, also has an extra USB port. holds my iphonex pretty securly even over big bumps. and easy to install - just plug it in lol

IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG