Sponsored

And another prodigy turbo kit installed

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Can't wait to hear the long term report on this. No one will put it through the paces as hard as you all will. Hopefully this was not a free turbo and you all will provide ALL the details good and bad of turbo ownership. I am at least hopeful. Most often it is not the case and we will only hear the positive and not all the little quirks, bugs, issues even if they are small.

Loved the video, rock on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Can't wait to hear the long term report on this. No one will put it through the paces as hard as you all will. Hopefully this was not a free turbo and you all will provide ALL the details good and bad of turbo ownership. I am at least hopeful. Most often it is not the case and we will only hear the positive and not all the little quirks, bugs, issues even if they are small.

Loved the video, rock on.
It was a sponsored kit but like with all our sponsorships we make sure they agree that we are able to tell the truth about the product and we’re able to retain our credibility. I’m not willing to just throw that out for free parts. We will provide updates as things progress.

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
It was a sponsored kit but like with all our sponsorships we make sure they agree that we are able to tell the truth about the product and we’re able to retain our credibility. I’m not willing to just throw that out for free parts. We will provide updates as things progress.
Loved the video. Coming from driving ecoboosts and diesels, I’m a big turbo fan. Wife watched your video and her JLU may just make swooshing sounds later depending on the Bronco details. If we can’t get the steering squared away we may end up a one-Jeep family (TJ).
I thought your point about custom tuning was spot on. Even the best tuners can’t possibly account for the differences thrown in by each and every scenario. The 3.6 wasn’t built for boost from the factory and I’d want the safest tune I could get. The other thing I’m curious about long term is cooling. Turbos make a lot of heat and the JL with its nuclear speed cooling fan will hopefully keep up. Looking forward to your next videos. They have really been fun and educational at the same time.

Sponsored

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I don't doubt your good intentions, what I will say is everyone should read the book Influence the psychology of persuasion before putting too much stock in anyone's review of anything on these forums or the internet in general.

As far as the turbo kit goes the only thing that would scare me about putting one on a jeep is that on a lifted jeep with big tires I could see a lot of situations where you could be in boost for a long period of time, like going up a mountain for instance. The 3.6 was not designed for boost so I'm curious how it would hold up to a long period of boost. A cool review would be to load your jeep up with a bunch of gear then haul ass up a mountain without giving it any breaks. Something like the tests TFL Truck does with the IKE Gauntlet challenge. That would be cool to see. Here is one of their videos.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I think I'd prefer a supercharger but I'll be watching your videos to see how it works out for you guys.
The problem with super chargers is parasitic loss it takes to make power, simply put they are not very effient.

Turbo’s take what is normally wasted energy (engine exhaust gases) and turns it into power. The old days of horrible turbo lag are just that, a thing of the past.

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The problem with super chargers is parasitic loss it takes to make power, simply put they are not very effient.

Turbo’s take what is normally wasted energy (engine exhaust gases) and turns it into power. The old days of horrible turbo lag are just that, a thing of the past.
You are correct. I don’t have lag at all. It just goes

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Congrats! That looks like a blast to drive! Looking forward to an extended review!!

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
I've yet to see anyone who got a turbo on a JL react like it is amazing, fun, etc. It always seems like a muted reaction on first drive, like "Yeah, pretty cool...", you included Kevin. Would you say you are blown away by the power, or is it not that much better?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kevin8086

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I've yet to see anyone who got a turbo on a JL react like it is amazing, fun, etc. It always seems like a muted reaction on first drive, like "Yeah, pretty cool...", you included Kevin. Would you say you are blown away by the power, or is it not that much better?
No matter what it’s still a Jeep on 38s with heavy beadlocks. It feels great and is loads better. It pulls great and is awesome to listen to. I’m happy with it so far. It would take a Turbo or supercharged v8 to really get me excited. Lol
But I’d be happy to let anyone drive my Jeep to see what they think

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
No matter what it’s still a Jeep on 38s with heavy beadlocks. It feels great and is loads better. It pulls great and is awesome to listen to. I’m happy with it so far. It would take a Turbo or supercharged v8 to really get me excited. Lol
But I’d be happy to let anyone drive my Jeep to see what they think
True story, you want fast, buy a fast car or a fast bike. I think the turbo in a nice power adder to the JL. More is usually better. I will be interested to see if it changes your driving style. I would be cuations as sometime off roading added power may just get you in trouble quicker. Something like to much wheel spin and the WRONG time. Where you are adding gas and then you go from not turning wheels to wheels turning before you can shut it down and you slide sideways and end up on your roof.

Either way, my wife and I are big fans of your channel and watch them on sunday mornings drinking coffee and dreaming of getting out there. We are living through you guys and in about two years we will start our own adventure. Until then, we use your channel to add to the bucket list of places to take our JLUR.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
True story, you want fast, buy a fast car or a fast bike. I think the turbo in a nice power adder to the JL. More is usually better. I will be interested to see if it changes your driving style. I would be cuations as sometime off roading added power may just get you in trouble quicker. Something like to much wheel spin and the WRONG time. Where you are adding gas and then you go from not turning wheels to wheels turning before you can shut it down and you slide sideways and end up on your roof.

Either way, my wife and I are big fans of your channel and watch them on sunday mornings drinking coffee and dreaming of getting out there. We are living through you guys and in about two years we will start our own adventure. Until then, we use your channel to add to the bucket list of places to take our JLUR.
Yeah....thats a cool true story bro. But the fact is that people looking to turbo or supercharge their JL are obviously doing it to get more power. The point is that may of us are trying to gauge if it is worth the cost or not to do so. I doubt anyone is looking to turn their Jeep into a sports car, so it's not helpful to make comments like that. The point is, is the juice worth the squeeze? From what I've seen so far, it probably isn't.

I just want something that feels really responsive, has a ton of torque, and feels like it spins 37s effortlessly. Maybe a supercharger is under development right now that would get me that, IDK, but I haven't felt like the reactions I've seen have been overwhelmingly glowing.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
really responsive, has a ton of torque, and feels like it spins 37s effortlessly.
no [reliable] power adder to this Jeep V6 is going to give you that...
Sponsored