And another one

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
I don’t see it as a waste, the price of Wranglers has skyrocketed in recent years. Good, low mileage used options are the best option for young people. There’s no better high school car.
And the prices continue to skyrocket because people like this lady will shell out for a car she never drove.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Lightly used Wranglers are great to find. It may seem like a waste, but someone else will get a great used Jeep. And there aren’t many out there right now. 5 year old hard worn ones with 100k miles are bringing stupid money.

I wouldn’t give a high school kid a vehicle less than 5 years old no matter how much money I had. As a matter of fact, I always recommend a regular cab pickup or a 2 door stock Wrangler with the rear seat removed. Less passengers mean less liability.

Last edited:

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
I don’t get the hate in this thread. Is Jeep only meant for people who are going to take it off roading. You can only lift if you take it off roading.
it’s their money, they can do whatever they want. Who are we to decide who should or shouldn’t get a Jeep.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
So, the woman (mid 40’s, RN) who lives down the road traded her Range Rover on a new JLU with a dealer installed lift and very aggressive 35’s a couple weeks ago. She bought it OFF the floor, without even driving it😳. Anyway I’m out at the mailbox and she’s driving by and stops to talk. She says “ I know you’ve had Jeeps for a long time, do you like the way they drive?”. I say “ Yeah, I’ve driven them for years. I like them a lot because of their go anywhere ability and how easy they are to drive”. She then chimes up with “ I love the way they look, but mine drives awful, it’s noisy inside, its hard to hold in the lane, and is just a lot of work to drive”. I explained that Jeeps are different, that they’re not for everybody. I let her take the JL down the road for a drive and she came back and says “yours is so much quieter than mine, and doesn’t wander all over the road, how come”? We then had the discussion about aggressive tires and road noise and different heights of center of gravity. Long story short, this lady bought it because it looks good, with no idea of how it would drive, I really think she’d have been happy with a stock JLU Sahara, as it is, I suspect she’ll be trading vehicles and her “new“ Jeep will wind up on a used lot before long. I just can’t understand why anyone would buy a new vehicle, esp one very different from anything they’ve ever owned, without at least Driving it first. Makes no sense to me..
Neighbor of mine traded her modified Rubicon on a Toyota Highlander or something like that. Her complaint was the same; although, she did say she was sure it would be good in the "mountains", but she never went to the mountains. She bought it because it was a Rubicon (the off roady one) and had big tires.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I always tell prospective Wrangler buyers to buy one for fun, nothing else, don’t try and convince yourself it’s a practical vehicle because if you do, you’ll be disappointed.
Mine is my daily driver. No disappointments whatsoever.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
No hate from me. Just can't understand how someone can spend that much money on a vehicle, and then just decide that they don't want what they just spent all that money on.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I don’t get the hate in this thread. Is Jeep only meant for people who are going to take it off roading. You can only lift if you take it off roading.
it’s their money, they can do whatever they want. Who are we to decide who should or shouldn’t get a Jeep.
No hate intended, it just bothers me when people drop tons of money while having NO idea what they are buying. As has been noted, it likely could be fixed with a stabilizer and less aggressive tires, but that’s not the point. An intelligent person, who should know better, got lured into buying a vehicle just for they “look” with NO idea what they were actually buying. In todays world I’m sure she’ll get a good trade in. Just wonder if some other uniformed buyer will buy it and make the exact same mistake? Reminds me of when Smith brought out the X frame .500 magnum a few years ago. Buddy who owns a gun shop got one in. He sold it, it was back two weeks later with 4 rounds missing from the box😳. Sold it again, came back in under a month, 9 rounds missing from the box. Sold it Again. Three owners with less than a box of shells being fired. Classic case of buying something “cool” with zero concept of what they were actually getting😊

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
So, the woman (mid 40’s, RN) who lives down the road traded her Range Rover on a new JLU with a dealer installed lift and very aggressive 35’s a couple weeks ago. She bought it OFF the floor, without even driving it😳. Anyway I’m out at the mailbox and she’s driving by and stops to talk. She says “ I know you’ve had Jeeps for a long time, do you like the way they drive?”. I say “ Yeah, I’ve driven them for years. I like them a lot because of their go anywhere ability and how easy they are to drive”. She then chimes up with “ I love the way they look, but mine drives awful, it’s noisy inside, its hard to hold in the lane, and is just a lot of work to drive”. I explained that Jeeps are different, that they’re not for everybody. I let her take the JL down the road for a drive and she came back and says “yours is so much quieter than mine, and doesn’t wander all over the road, how come”? We then had the discussion about aggressive tires and road noise and different heights of center of gravity. Long story short, this lady bought it because it looks good, with no idea of how it would drive, I really think she’d have been happy with a stock JLU Sahara, as it is, I suspect she’ll be trading vehicles and her “new“ Jeep will wind up on a used lot before long. I just can’t understand why anyone would buy a new vehicle, esp one very different from anything they’ve ever owned, without at least Driving it first. Makes no sense to me..
I bought my JLU without a test drive actually ordered my 21 Snazzberry and took possession 5 weeks later and never once test drove a Jeep. No regrets, I've wanted one since I was about 5 or 6 (yeah, I had a 54-55 year wait for my dream Jeep) but then I didn't go from a Range Rover to a Jeep, I went from a Camry to my Jeep! People have to realize that it doesn't drive like a luxury vehicle. I tell people that if I wanted a nice riding vehicle I would've bought a Lexus

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For some “looking good” at the club, at church, or on Instagram, is more important than the nitty-gritty of daily life.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
At least Jeep doesn’t cave in and pander to these buyers. Look at what has happened to so many once rugged vehicles. The Land Rover Defender is the latest example. Rugged styling, but built on a Jaguar car/crossover platform. Even Jeep’s own Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are shells of what the once were. There’s a whole list we could make. Point is that many people want a rugged look, but not all that comes with it. Let’s just hope that the Wrangler never gets more “luxury” options than it already has and that it doesn’t get turned into something that looks kinda like a real Jeep, but no longer is.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
At least Jeep doesn’t cave in and pander to these buyers. Look at what has happened to so many once rugged vehicles. The Land Rover Defender is the latest example. Rugged styling, but built on a Jaguar car/crossover platform. Even Jeep’s own Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are shells of what the once were. There’s a whole list we could make. Point is that many people want a rugged look, but not all that comes with it. Let’s just hope that the Wrangler never gets more “luxury” options than it already has and that it doesn’t get turned into something that looks kinda like a real Jeep, but no longer is.
Amen

HydroblueLA

First Name
Alice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude on order
I bought my JLU without a test drive actually ordered my 21 Snazzberry and took possession 5 weeks later and never once test drove a Jeep. No regrets, I've wanted one since I was about 5 or 6 (yeah, I had a 54-55 year wait for my dream Jeep) but then I didn't go from a Range Rover to a Jeep, I went from a Camry to my Jeep! People have to realize that it doesn't drive like a luxury vehicle. I tell people that if I wanted a nice riding vehicle I would've bought a Lexus
We drove a rental jeep…ordered one without driving a new one, and I am going from a Camry to a Jeep. Wanted a Jeep since I can remember, maybe it will get here soon! Also, Louisiana roads have not been friendly to my Camry-it rides like a log truck.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
No hate intended, it just bothers me when people drop tons of money while having NO idea what they are buying. As has been noted, it likely could be fixed with a stabilizer and less aggressive tires, but that’s not the point. An intelligent person, who should know better, got lured into buying a vehicle just for they “look” with NO idea what they were actually buying. In todays world I’m sure she’ll get a good trade in. Just wonder if some other uniformed buyer will buy it and make the exact same mistake? Reminds me of when Smith brought out the X frame .500 magnum a few years ago. Buddy who owns a gun shop got one in. He sold it, it was back two weeks later with 4 rounds missing from the box😳. Sold it again, came back in under a month, 9 rounds missing from the box. Sold it Again. Three owners with less than a box of shells being fired. Classic case of buying something “cool” with zero concept of what they were actually getting😊
Why does it bother you how other people spend their own money?

I've never been on a forum with so many people posting 'you don't need that...'

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You could tell her how to easily fix it. But she probably won’t want to do that for whatever reason. I’ve had this conversation with many people before. For some reason they want to stay unsatisfied and frustrated. Maybe it’s just the way they live their lives.
Sponsored