Alternator OAD Pulley Replacement

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
My overrunning alternator decoupler has been slinging grease for about a month and I’ve got a road trip planned for this w/e so I decided to finally replace it.

I can tell you all with great certainty that it can be changed without removing the alternator. I can also tell you with the same certainty that it’s easier to remove the alternator and change it on the bench.

That being said, here’s a few pics I snapped along the way:

The “stripe”.

Jeep Wrangler JL Alternator OAD Pulley Replacement D22F243E-F9FE-4F74-BD41-EC479FA924A9

Oil filter removal is necessary to install the removal tool. Hold the 19mm wrench and spin the 10mm clockwise toward the driver side. A MUCH longer wrench would have been helpful, but it’s MIA. Ratchet and socket could work if you have one that is slimmer than average.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alternator OAD Pulley Replacement 4536F185-7624-4752-B66D-8BF3B03120C8

It’s pretty much impossible to see what I’m doing here, but I used a pry bar to release tension on the belt to facilitate spinning the pulley off of the alternator shaft. This is the point that I decided I’m not saving significant time by “cheating”, and pulled the alternator to reinstall the OAD pulley.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alternator OAD Pulley Replacement ABE4B880-454D-4E86-9751-D0A06F455436

Degreased OEM pulley. Posting in the event someone wants to attempt to purchase OEM parts at some point.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alternator OAD Pulley Replacement A6B85CBC-A1DA-4055-96DF-C213C3D08649

Replacement OAD Pulley.
Litens P/N 920080A. Don’t know why the “A” isn’t stamped on the part, but it’s the part number that I purchased.
Jeep Wrangler JL Alternator OAD Pulley Replacement 67448915-19FA-4B96-B7CE-D3262CE763D5

Reassembly is obviously the same as disassembly, only in reverse. I would suggest belt replacement at the same time as you’re already knee deep into the stuff you need to remove anyway, but my local parts house was out of stock and my belt has plenty of life in it.

I’m into the job about an hour in time, and about $100 for the pulley and the tool. All in all not as much as a PITA as I was expecting.
Sponsored

RealSandman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is great. Thank you for sharing. Both of my Jeeps are doing the same, I have had the OAD pulley sitting on a shelf waiting for a free weekend to tackle it.
Which tool did you use here to remove the OAD?

I’m about to replace some ticking valve followers and might just take care of this at the same time.

OP
OP
jaymz

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
This is great. Thank you for sharing. Both of my Jeeps are doing the same, I have had the OAD pulley sitting on a shelf waiting for a free weekend to tackle it.
Which tool did you use here to remove the OAD?

I’m about to replace some ticking valve followers and might just take care of this at the same time.
I used the kit from Lisle. It can be had at AMAZON for about $30, though I paid less than that through my parts supplier.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see that there had been any responses until late last night.

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Amazing! My alternator stopped working in June 2022 while I was 2h from any civilization. I managed to get back in town and the dealer changed the whole alternator. Later, I brought the "faulty" alternator to a local shop and they said the issue was the pulley but they couldn't find a replacement part.

Said alternator has been siting on a shelf since then, waiting for a pulley to be available. Now I can finally fix it and have a backup and/or sell it!

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
So what breaks on these things? Seems like they really complicated an overly simple device that works quite well. In 30 years of car ownership I've only had a single alternator fail on me and it had like 250K mi on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jaymz

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
So what breaks on these things? Seems like they really complicated an overly simple device that works quite well. In 30 years of car ownership I've only had a single alternator fail on me and it had like 250K mi on it.
Mine wasn’t broken per se, it was just slinging all of the grease out of the bearing. It may have lasted for a hell of a long time. I really don’t know. It was just better for me to replace it before it failed out in the middle of nowhere.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It’s a one way bearing, fitted with seals and filled with grease.

the5Lranch

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jay how has the replacement OAD held up? Mine has been slinging grease for awhile now was just going to replace the whole unit but then I came across your thread.

OP
OP
jaymz

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Jay how has the replacement OAD held up? Mine has been slinging grease for awhile now was just going to replace the whole unit but then I came across your thread.
Holding up great. No noise, no leaking.

Nathan08t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler sport S
If I purchase this part do I need to grease it first or does it come pre-greased? Silly question I know but I'm having the same exact problem on my 18' with only 30K miles on it

the5Lranch

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If I purchase this part do I need to grease it first or does it come pre-greased? Silly question I know but I'm having the same exact problem on my 18' with only 30K miles on it
It comes ready to install. Just did mine on my 18 (75kmiles) Can confirm that the easiest way to do it is to pull the alternator.
Sponsored