First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
I have upgraded a lot of my cars/jeeps to aftermarket speakers which outputs dramatically better sound and range. Well today the Kenwood excelon kfc-x3c 3.5 changed that. To put it bluntly - they suck! I tired it with and without the crossover. I am missing depth, range and the tweeters have minimal output. An example of this is at the beginning of hotel California, the maracas disappear when I switch to the left channel (kenwoods).

Take a listen and let me know your thoughts. Excuse the crappy non-copyright music, not the best representation of the drastic difference but hope you can hear it. Right = Alpine Left = Kenwood
Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I have upgraded a lot of my cars/jeeps to aftermarket speakers which outputs dramatically better sound and range. Well today the Kenwood excelon kfc-x3c 3.5 changed that. To put it bluntly - they suck! I tired it with and without the crossover. I am missing depth, range and the tweeters have minimal output. An example of this is at the beginning of hotel California, the maracas disappear when I switch to the left channel (kenwoods).

Take a listen and let me know your thoughts. Excuse the crappy non-copyright music, not the best representation of the drastic difference but hope you can hear it. Right = Alpine Left = Kenwood
Most cars in the 20th century put very little priority on sound quality. Upgrading made a lot of sense because the stock speakers were just $5 full range paper drivers with hardly any sound tuning.

auto manufacturers take it way more seriously these days. If youā€™re upgrading a mid range oem sound system these you need some decent hardware.

$80 2 way kenwoods aint gonna cut it anymore.

edit: I read some reviews on these speakers on crutchfield and there were a lot of people that raved about them in their JLā€™s. Didnā€™t see anything specific about upgrading from alpine though. Hmm

Last edited:

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Alpine for the win!

Jeeps = Mountains
Mountains = Alpines

Makes sense to me.

Ken's in the woods doing what? Not making good speakers that's what.

Sponsored

SouthValleyPerformance

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022? Rubicon

Are they the correct ohm replacement for your application?

Deleted member 59498

Alpine for the win!

Jeeps = Mountains
Mountains = Alpines

Makes sense to me.

Thinking of which my neighbor is BBQ'ing right now, I could go over and be like "How you like those Kenwood speakers" then he will ask if I am mooching a hamburger.

TheDukeofLark

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR M/T
Are they the correct ohm replacement for your application?
And are they upside down in a glass of water? That's so bad it sounds like you are just getting kick panel sound rather than dash sound. Not only sound quality issues, but even volume issues. I don't have the Alpine system in mine, but I can't imagine that is better than even bone stock. Have you tried both speakers in the pack? In case that is a bad unit somehow?

I ask because I don't want to believe they are that bad. That's no upgrade.

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Alpine for the win!

Jeeps = Mountains
Mountains = Alpines

Makes sense to me.

At least we didn't get Sonys either... Otherwise they would literally Xplod....

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe

Sounds disappearing when switching left to right is extremely common. The stereo music was just made that way. Certain sounds come from left channel and certain right channel.

hopefully you tried numerous audio tracks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Evergreen

Evergreen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander, 21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Autonomous Vehicles
Sounds disappearing when switching left to right is extremely common. The stereo music was just made that way. Certain sounds come from left channel and certain right channel.

hopefully you tried numerous audio tracks

I understand but it was playing the same out to each speaker. I listed too many tracks, and the sound quality is just poor.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I understand but it was playing the same out to each speaker. I listed too many tracks, and the sound quality is just poor.
Guessing the oem alpine is tuned to bounce off the windshield and the kenwood is not. Because I did look it up and it seems like a decent speaker.

i used to be a car stereo installer a long time ago. One thing I noticed is that the oemā€™s engineer these systems to levels almost impossible for the aftermarket to duplicate. This seems like its a perfect example of that happening. Everything from the overall car sound deadening to the enclosure behind the speaker or lack there of. Often times I would replace some simple parts bin drivers with more expensive drivers powered by high quality ampsā€¦.it would change the sound, it might have much crisper and detailed highs, but you often loose some low/midrange, it wasnā€™t necessarily ā€œbett

i think some higher end aftermarket systems these days are essentially ditching the stock speaker enclosures because they canā€™t make them work. Or they basically take about the speaker enclosure and try to build a real one, which is difficult.

Like I would never ever upgrade my bose system in my gmc sierra. Iā€™m well aware itā€™s not a high end system, but Iā€™d need to do a full system $5k overall and a ton of tuning to beat it.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Are the Kenwoods out of phase, do you need to reverse the wiring?
That probably wouldnā€™t be an audible difference. That usually just effects the sound waves being reverse of the other speakers sound waves. But if youā€™re only playing one speaker at a time you shouldnā€™t notice it. Or atleast I never did.
Sponsored