All-weather mats question

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Typically the big two guys in that area are WeatherTech and Husky.

I noticed the WeatherTech (at least from what I can tell from their website) do NOT come with a drain cut/plug like the MOPAR do.

Husky has not released theirs yet and I contacted their customer service and they said they'll release maybe at the end of this week but unsure if they will have a drain cut?

But if not - why MOPAR has one and which one would be better?

Pros/Cons of that little hole? Lol
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don’t like the idea of a drain. It’s going to eventually wear out and leak I prefer to remove my mats and hose them off outside of the jeep.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Personally, I think the drain hole is more of a gimmick then anything. An effort by FCA to get owner's to buy their mat offering versus aftermarket offerings like WeatherTech, Husky, etc.

I have been in contact with WeatherTech and Husky and development people, and both have said no drain hole in their offerings,

As for me.. I have residences in NY, Florida and California. Cutesy drain hole may work in Florida and California but in Upstate NY they would be more of a pain in the ass in the Winter, when the temps are below freezing. In snowy, cold places you want a floor liner that will coral lots of snow, slush, etc. and that you can easily dump out. That cutesy mat hole drain will be frozen closed and you will play hell with the floor drain connection and trying to easily remove the mat in the Winter.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Every time I vacuum, I like to pull the mats and vacuum what has inevitably gotten behind. IMO unplugging and plugging in that drain that many times will lead to wear and eventually failure. While the mats are out of the jeep, I can properly clean them.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That cutesy mat hole drain will be frozen closed and you will play hell with the floor drain connection and trying to easily remove the mat in the Winter.
Excellent point! Never thought of that. That mat will be a pain to remove if the spout is frozen to the bottom of the floor pan. Maybe the heat from the engine/tranny/exhaust would be enough to thaw it when needed.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Every time I vacuum, I like to pull the mats and vacuum what has inevitably gotten behind. IMO unplugging and plugging in that drain that many times will lead to wear and eventually failure. While the mats are out of the jeep, I can properly clean them.
Indeed! Also, with Wrangler's especially it really is a plus keeping odors down if you pull the mats out often and let warm Suumer air and breeze get to the carpets. Like you, I want to vacuum order them also. Can't imagine having to unplug and plug every friggin time. Then in the Winter and freezing temps... No, I'll pass on the cutesy floor drain hole/coupling. Wouldn't even use if I got them free..

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think that isn't true. The drain is sealed off to the hole. Water should never be inside it. They will not freeze in place. I installed the Mopar ones today and love them. The drain hole is what sold me on them! Will be very handy in mud and in snow!! And, to get full carpet coverage for $90 instead of $200+ is a win!

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
interesting - The times I've been in under freezing conditions have been < 20 my whole life so I won't have that problem (AZ resident here). Wondering if the extreme heat will melt the plastic?

So - assuming you get the WT or Husky - the hole is still there isn't it? so won't you have the same issues regardless of MOPAR/WT/Husky? Granted you have to remove one to clean versus the other - but the cut is there.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
interesting - The times I've been in under freezing conditions have been < 20 my whole life so I won't have that problem (AZ resident here). Wondering if the extreme heat will melt the plastic?

So - assuming you get the WT or Husky - the hole is still there isn't it? so won't you have the same issues regardless of MOPAR/WT/Husky? Granted you have to remove one to clean versus the other - but the cut is there.
Right, regardless of whether you have the Mopar floor liners installed or not, the exact same drain hole is there and the exact same rubber plug is there. So, the liners make ZERO difference in terms of water intrustion, freezing, packing with dirt, etc. I'm not sure why guys hate on the drain plug feature so much. I guess it's like how they gripe about the cool red dash in the Rubicon. You just can't make some guys happy. Lol.

OP
OP
jhonn236_AZ

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
but the failure will be on the rubber itself. By that time you can buy a replacement for $10 from ebay.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
but the failure will be on the rubber itself. By that time you can buy a replacement for $10 from ebay.
The mopar mats have a spout that fits into the drain holes to replace the original drain plugs. I think tmakaro is saying the spout that is molded into the mopar mat will eventually wear out after installing/removing multiple times.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I think that isn't true. The drain is sealed off to the hole. Water should never be inside it. They will not freeze in place.
This. I live in the Northeast too, and boy there's a lot of hyperbole being thrown around here.

I live in an area that's received feet, yes, FEET of snow regularly for the past few years. I've lived through snow and ice storms as much as any other Northeasterner. I don't know what you people are doing, but even in the worst of it, I'm not dumping buckets of slush into my Jeep. And it's a drain PLUG. Unless you're pulling and inserting that thing every day numerous, numerous, times, it's going to keep a seal. And if the water freezes around it, so what? How is that going to stop you from pulling the mat to vacuum it or under it (don't know anybody around here who does that in the middle of winter, buy hey, whatever floats your boat)? Unless you've somehow worn that plug out, which likely you'll sell this Jeep before it does, it's not going to be frozen to your carpet or whatever some people are saying.

As I type this, I'm wondering...you guys do know the plug is part of the floor mat itself, right? It doesn't go directly into the drain hole in your Jeep.

I'm not saying to buy the Mopar mats. I'm just saying I'm seeing some really dumb reasons to not buy them.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
As I type this, I'm wondering...you guys do know the plug is part of the floor mat itself, right? It doesn't go directly into the drain hole in your Jeep.

I'm not saying to buy the Mopar mats. I'm just saying I'm seeing some really dumb reasons to not buy them.
Yeah, some guys poo-poo all over anything with the Mopar name on it. I for one am happy that Mopar offers an equal or superior product for less than half the price.

aerosynch

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I almost went with the Mopar ones but waited and got the Weathertechs instead. No regrets. The fronts go higher and cover more by the footwell area and the rear also has a lip around the liner. Either mat is better than stock.

779DC88D-F3F3-4526-9AD7-BEF4FE0D01CB.jpeg

42DCE36F-6984-4F41-A2EC-DC3CCF219050.jpeg

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Well after reading this thread I had to go and double check the install of my Mopar all weather mats. I understand the negatives being talked about.

The underside of the Mopar mat is molded with a lip. In theory this is supposed to push into the existing drain hole and seal it off. It is a very tight fit and with a light lifting it popped up too easily IMO. I would expect a tighter fit. I then really pushed down hard from the top and I heard a pop. From that point it was very tight and secure. At this point I am more confident that it will maintain the seal keeping water out the same as the standard plug being in that hole.

Yes more confident but I will be checking for any signs of moisture after driving in a heavy rain before I am 100% sold.

From looking at the design I am not worried about them freezing in the winter. The mat itself seals the hole and does not need to be pulled. The plug is now plugged rubber to rubber. This will pop out with ease. I will not take a hose to this in the winter. The reason I liked this design is when you get into your Jeep with snow that melts and is rolling around in the mat. Pulling out the Mat in the JK I would spill it depending on how much snow melted. I am hoping in the winter I can pull the plug and let it roll out and then replace the plug without the need of removing the mat at all.
Sponsored