Sponsored

All electric range question

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I also get 24-25 off highway in a stock Rubicon. I’ve convinced myself that electric drive is more efficient than gas at off-highway speeds, but not at highway speeds because air resistance is too high. So I now always run e-save mode on the highway to save my electric range for where it will give the most benefit.

I see in your profile that you currently have a 2020. So wondering what is driving you to look at the 4xe? If it’s to save money on fuel, I don‘t think you’ll see much benefit. If it’s more about a new Jeep with cool new interesting tech, then you might be on the right track. 😛

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Honesty the answers you get should be taken with a grain of salt. Because you are not comparing apples to apples. There factors that need to be considered like conditions, driving habits, mods etc. but at least you’ll get a general idea.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe, Mustang Mach-E, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Honesty the answers you get should be taken with a grain of salt. Because you are not comparing apples to apples. There factors that need to be considered like conditions, driving habits, mods etc. but at least you’ll get a general idea.
agreed. Fortunately, I have near ideal conditions for an electric vehicle. It will be garaged, I live in a moderate climate, and I have multiple routes available for commuting.

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I see in your profile that you currently have a 2020. So wondering what is driving you to look at the 4xe? If it’s to save money on fuel, I don‘t think you’ll see much benefit. If it’s more about a new Jeep with cool new interesting tech, then you might be on the right track. 😛
Probably a combination of both. My wife picked up an all electric vehicle in April, and I've been nothing but impressed by the performance, driveability, and cost per mile. I'm not ready to have only electric vehicles in our garage, and the 4Xe seems like a great way to get the benefits of electric while still having the gas option for longer trips and fuel diversification. I'm willing to pay a little to have the latest tech, but it has to at least be reasonably justifiable :).

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
This Jeep is realistically no cheaper to operate than the gas version. You're not going to save enough, if any at all, to justify a $60K vehicle. If you are just buying a new Jeep because you want a new Jeep, then this is a wise purchase. After the $7500 tax credit, it comes out several thousand cheaper than a comparably equipped gas version. But, you got to deal with the new tech, worse mileage after the battery is depleted, smaller gas tank, less internal storage options, etc.

All that being said, were still 100% happy with the tradeoffs coming from out 2015 HR Rubicon.

eLECTRICON

I like the truck a lot, but to be honest that is more than I need. And I consider myself a Jeep guy :beer:
I'm also a "Jeep Guy". I didn't buy the 4xe because it was a hybrid. I bought it for the 475ftlbs of torque and 375hp. Which is the same torque and 100hp less than the 392. The talk of the extra weight from the battery didn't scare me at all. I was actually thinking it would perform better off road with the added weight to the back. Counter weight to the engine, keeps your ass on the ground. You cant listen to all these knuckle heads on the forums and social media, they have no experience with the 4xe. I immediately went 4-wheeling strait from the dealer. I broke the passenger mirror and dented the tailgate on day 1 of ownership. After that I knew what I wanted for modifications. I ripped it apart on day 2. Cut crap off to make stuff fit and wa-la. 3.5" Teraflex lift and 35" tires with Falcon aDapt shocks. Beat the crap out of it in Moab, UT on the Jeep Badge of honor trails and 8,750mi later still performs like new. I defiantly had to retorque suspension and steering bolts but your supposed to do that on every vehicle after the break-in period. The fact the it had electric power was a bonus for me. I did Hells Revenge in All Electric in 4L and it performed better than any of my JKs. It just flawlessly dominated a 8-10 level trail. No gas or brake......it crawled on its own and regen brake going down. In silence I "mapped the earth" hearing noting but rocks crunching, birds chirping, rivers running and the occasional side-by-side buzzing up behind me. The problem is people are looking for EV comparability. That's not what Jeep was doing here, strictly upgrading an already off road capable machine. It was made for Jeep enthusiasts not for EV'ers. This is actually our family car and everyday driver. Im a single dad of three 6,7,and 8yrs of age. I'm no soccer mom!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL All electric range question 4xe full

Last edited by a moderator:

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I highly recommend you have your hybrid screen on the main radio screen and observe the hybrid behaviors. I have both a Sahara and Rubicon 4xE. The Sahara starts with 26 miles and 24 on the Rubicon. I have a 29 mile commute each way and drive 100% in hybrid mode, about 7 miles of local road and 22 miles of highway. I shift the Manual 8 to engage the engine on the highway. There are several threads about this strategy and it works for me. I generally have 15 miles of battery left after the 29 miles, on the return trip I pull into the garage with 3 miles. Weekend or local trips are almost 100% battery. The trip computer is reporting over 34mpg. As I learn I’m increasing my mpg.

Our Sahara which is more short commutes use the battery the majority of time and we are over 45mpg.

I believe I will save 50% in fuel costs from my Gladiator Mojave.

Level 2 charger is a game changer on the weekends with short errands.

After owning the 4xE I find myself playing the battery game more which has influenced my driving style.

Did you leave the stock tires on your Sahara 4xe. Mine is on order and I am debating putting KO2 33's on the stock rims. Will add about 40lbs total.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'm also a "Jeep Guy". I didn't buy the 4xe because it was a hybrid. I bought it for the 475ftlbs of torque and 375hp. Which is the same torque and 100hp less than the 392. The talk of the extra weight from the battery didn't scare me at all. I was actually thinking it would perform better off road with the added weight to the back. Counter weight to the engine, keeps your ass on the ground. You cant listen to all these knuckle heads on the forums and social media, they have no experience with the 4xe. I immediately went 4-wheeling strait from the dealer. I broke the passenger mirror and dented the tailgate on day 1 of ownership. After that I knew what I wanted for modifications. I ripped it apart on day 2. Cut crap off to make stuff fit and wa-la. 3.5" Teraflex lift and 35" tires with Falcon aDapt shocks. Beat the crap out of it in Moab, UT on the Jeep Badge of honor trails and 8,750mi late still performs as new. I defiantly had to retorque suspension and steering bolts but your supposed to do that on every vehicle after the break-in period. The fact the it had electric power was a bonus for me. I did Hells Revenge in All Electric in 4L and it performed better than any of my JKs. It just flawlessly dominated a 8-10 level trail. No gas or brake......it crawled on its own and regen brake going down. In silence I "mapped the earth" hearing noting but rocks crunching, birds chirping, rivers running and the occasional side-by-side buzzing up behind me. The problem is people are looking for EV comparability. That's not what Jeep was doing here, strictly upgrading an already off road capable machine. It was made for Jeep enthusiasts not for EV'ers. This is actually our family car and everyday driver. Im a single dad of three 6,7,and 8yrs of age. I'm no soccer mom!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL All electric range question 4xe full
Best 4xe review ever!

Microday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella Rubicon
Did you leave the stock tires on your Sahara 4xe. Mine is on order and I am debating putting KO2 33's on the stock rims. Will add about 40lbs total.
No added KO2 275’s I think, maybe 285’s. Will confirm when I get hime

2639DFB0-3E79-4281-AD12-06FA5C0BD6CF.jpeg

F1963021-D2DC-4F87-B807-1391EB5997CA.jpeg

OP
OP
CivilJeep

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks everyone, those are some great looking Jeeps y'all have. I've decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a 4xe, with the understanding it probably won't do exactly what I want. The upside is that I gain the torque and will save a small amount on fuel.

I'm purchasing the Sahara model, and I noticed that it doesn't list the heavy duty brakes that are listed on gas only Sahara's. Have any of you noticed a difference? The one I'm buying does not have the tow package, although that's something I'll be adding soon, and I'll need to tow some light loads.

Thanks.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Thanks everyone, those are some great looking Jeeps y'all have. I've decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a 4xe, with the understanding it probably won't do exactly what I want. The upside is that I gain the torque and will save a small amount on fuel.

I'm purchasing the Sahara model, and I noticed that it doesn't list the heavy duty brakes that are listed on gas only Sahara's. Have any of you noticed a difference? The one I'm buying does not have the tow package, although that's something I'll be adding soon, and I'll need to tow some light loads.

Thanks.
Not sure about the heavy duty brakes but I would guess the 4xe will do great. You not only have the mechanical brakes but the electric motor is a pretty heavy duty brake in itself. In normal braking situations it does most all the work.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
As far as brakes go, if you brake hard it's like landing on an aircraft carrier and catching the arresting cable.
Sponsored