Sponsored

Alien Sunshade Review

JeepBaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Bought one on recommendation from fellow Jeep owner.

Watched a video on how to install. Seemed easy enough. “No need to lower windshield.”

I disagree. Maybe some of you got away with leaving windshield up but after struggling for 10 minutes and beating up my fingers trying to hook it on the leading edge I said F it and unscrewed windshield. Note, you don't need to remove wipers, just unscrew and push windshield out slightly as you clip bungees on leading edge.

After that easy going with the back and side bungees and the screen seems to be of very good quality.

Also like that it gives me the look of upholstery over the freedom panels.

In summary: nice quality sunscreen but save your fingers and detach windshield on initial install. The front bungees could be left on even if you want to remove the screen and will be somewhat hidden, other bungees easily removed.
Sponsored

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Bought one on recommendation from fellow Jeep owner.

Watched a video on how to install. Seemed easy enough. “No need to lower windshield.”

I disagree. Maybe some of you got away with leaving windshield up but after struggling for 10 minutes and beating up my fingers trying to hook it on the leading edge I said F it and unscrewed windshield. Note, you don't need to remove wipers, just unscrew and push windshield out slightly as you clip bungees on leading edge.

After that easy going with the back and side bungees and the screen seems to be of very good quality.

Also like that it gives me the look of upholstery over the freedom panels.

In summary: nice quality sunscreen but save your fingers and detach windshield on initial install. The front bungees could be left on even if you want to remove the screen and will be somewhat hidden, other bungees easily removed.
My first mod will be to install the Alien sunscreen on my Wrangler 2 door. Why roast in the sun when stuck in traffic? My bald spot would never forgive me! Yes I could wear a hat but I'd rather go topless.
I'm going to try the windshield tool at first but it's good to have a workable backup plan. Plus I need to be sure that I'm clipping onto the frame metal not the plastic windshield buffer.
So I'll orde the Sand color for my black hardtop and Firecracker Red paint job.
Thanks for your post!

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Ya now try to get your hands behind the screen to take off the Freedom panels.....thats a bigger pain in the ass in my opinion.

Sponsored

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
OP
OP

JeepBaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
Getting the bungees through the frame wasnt the problem. It was clipping them on the front leading edge of frame.
I just watched the installation video. I didn’t realize there was a different T shape clip for alienshades. Looked like a pita.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Bought the Dirty dog version of the shade. No windshield dropping needed. Love their quality.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I tried installing mine without dropping the windshield but it was a pita for me. Took about 2 minutes to drop the windshield slightly (first time I’ve tried dropping the windshield after three other jeeps) and saved me much cussin and fussin. Love the sunscreen!

Sponsored

piloto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3S2000944S
Do these work with the hardtops that have the headliner as well?

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Yeah, pretty quick and easy install. And, I have big ole biscuit grabbers.