Alien Sunshade Review

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I see you installed just 2 of the 4 extra long bungees...connecting the front and rear shades together to the middle roll bar. That is what I did as well. I contacted Alienshade afterwards to confirm that it was ok to do that. I was told that they don't recommend it. What's up with that???
I’m surprised. Doesn’t the instruction sheet specifically say to connect them if you’re installing both panels?

Not to stick my nose at authority, but I’ve gone >80mph on a sustained basis with no issues with this set up.
Sponsored

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The little green dude that shipped with the shades has been rolling around with us since we got them and he hasn’t had a problem with the set up:

490099BB-4DCE-4DC2-B727-455BA27D7316.jpeg

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I found that connecting the front and back with the two bungees pulled more on the front clips. The portion of the clip that “clips” to the windshield is opening up to the point that it is close to not holding. It’s funny that Alien Shade does not recommend it now. I swear the instructions recommended it for a “cleaner” look.

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just checked their site and they show the front and rear panels connected. The front clips is a weak link.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
The little green dude that shipped with the shades has been rolling around with us since we got them and he hasn’t had a problem with the set up:

490099BB-4DCE-4DC2-B727-455BA27D7316.jpeg
My order didn’t come with any alien green dudes. I contacted Alienshade about it and they told me they were out of them and they are on back order. I was added to their list to mail out when they come in.

I’m just thinking life is not complete without at least one little greed dude riding in my Jeep! Lol!!!

Sponsored

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ‘96 BMW 328i Convertible
5D10B220-0947-42AA-9972-5F33E018A29F.jpeg
8FFA05D3-A1AD-45AC-89B6-8A0CFBEDEF7F.jpeg
Can we get some pictures posted of your sunshades, Alien or other brands? Even pictures from the inside looking up at the sunshade would be great. I would love to specifically see different colored shades with the Ocean Blue JLRU. :rock:

Black is the tried and true standby color, but I am wondering about some other colors as well. Thanks!!!
Cherry Red

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I see you installed just 2 of the 4 extra long bungees...connecting the front and rear shades together to the middle roll bar. That is what I did as well. I contacted Alienshade afterwards to confirm that it was ok to do that. I was told that they don't recommend it. What's up with that???
I'm not sure what you mean. The instructions actually tell you to do this.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I found the front clips frustrating so I unscrewed the windshield and pushed it out enough to see what I was doing. After looking at it, I now understand what it clips to and it will be easier to do the second time. I wish their video and instructions included pictures like this.

It’s hard to tell in the photos, but there’s a black trim piece between the windshield and the leading edge of the frame. You have to get the clip passed it an then it will clip onto the frame easily. Pretty sure I was trying to clip it to the black piece since the best you can do is feel around.

The windshield only took a few minutes, if you would rather go that route.

0FA13615-0A44-4B41-B3F2-046FA011D902.jpeg

82AAB11B-7C88-4B2F-898B-D574B721DBD3.jpeg

7A2C9F5A-5C97-4C5B-874B-06B1215FAD01.jpeg
You can actually feel where they clip from inside if you feel behind the sport bar.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
idk why so many of you are having issues with the install. I've done it twice and it was really easy and quick, way faster than lowering the windshield.

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I found that connecting the front and back with the two bungees pulled more on the front clips. The portion of the clip that “clips” to the windshield is opening up to the point that it is close to not holding. It’s funny that Alien Shade does not recommend it now. I swear the instructions recommended it for a “cleaner” look.
Just forgo the clips entirely and use the windshield bolts. My clips failed within a few days due to the temperature swings this time of year... so I followed the recommendation of a few users on here and lowered the windshield enough so could slip the bungees around the bolt holes. It has been problem free since last September.

Sponsored

joshg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab, Tesla Model S P90DL, Audi R8 V10 Spyder 6MT
What's weird to me is that I had no problem at all using their little tool and getting the clips and t-bar bungees installed for the front, but I had a b*tch of a time getting those final two bungees (rear two corners of the jeep) stretched far enough and looped around the ball... man, I struggled and sweated with that. no one here mentioned that was tough for them, so maybe my 1-piece shade was slightly too short.

parbo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just forgo the clips entirely and use the windshield bolts. My clips failed within a few days due to the temperature swings this time of year... so I followed the recommendation of a few users on here and lowered the windshield enough so could slip the bungees around the bolt holes. It has been problem free since last September.
I’m getting replacement clips sent. I will do the same if these have the same issue.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I installed my alien shade in the middle of a trail after it was given to me the night before at camp. Didn’t take but 10-15 mins max to do it with the supplies Teflon grabber

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
I’m getting replacement clips sent. I will do the same if these have the same issue.
Save yourself the trouble and just do it now. Although, I think your San Diego weather is a bit more stable than our Pennsylvania weather.. so, you may just luck out :)