aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in

TX_Flip

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Didn't see too much info or reviews on these. Just dropped one in today prior to putting my in my exhaust later tonight. Going to drive around with it to run errands see if I hear, feel, or see any difference. Very doubtful but item looks of good quality, I like the reusability, and I can still use when/if I go with the Mopar CAI or RR AmFib.
Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in IMG_20200725_121411

Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in IMG_20200725_121509
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TX_Flip

I have been running with the aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter, not the cone type offering you purchased but the flat offering....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a flat, dry filter . I have been running with it on my JL 3.6, just over 6 months+, 6,000 mi.+ and can say nothing negative about it.

I did notice right from the get go of using this filter, that the engine idle on the 3.6 was way way smoother..

This filter can be cleaned with Simple Green and water solution and then you leave it out to dry.
Do NOT use compressed air to try to dry it. That damages the filter per aFe.

To me, to many potential issues with oiled filters, so opted to go with dry. Easy cleaning and no special cleaner or oil to purchase.

Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in 71fj0hpooNL._AC_SL1500_

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone perform a UOA on the oil to see if silicon has been reduced versus the OEM filter?

OP
OP

TX_Flip

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Very subtle sound difference that I could tell off the bat. Throttle and idle 'felt' the same but not disappointed.

@Rhinebeck01 I went with the dry filter for those very reasons.

Almost done installing the exhaust. So I won't really have a point of view anymore of standalone performance of just the filter.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Didn't see too much info or reviews on these. Just dropped one in today prior to putting my in my exhaust later tonight. Going to drive around with it to run errands see if I hear, feel, or see any difference. Very doubtful but item looks of good quality, I like the reusability, and I can still use when/if I go with the Mopar CAI or RR AmFib.
Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in 71fj0hpooNL._AC_SL1500_

Wow that thing is crazy looking, makes sense it has more surface area! It’s okay for the 2.0 and the 3.6? I’m very intrigued by both this and the flat one. I’ve done the K&N on my last few vehicles but based on what I’m reading in these forums no more!

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've been using the AFE dry non-Cone filter for a while. It performs well, and seems to help the response of the engine, as well as smooth out the idle some.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata

How do you like it so far? I see a lot people are using the flat version, and I am deciding between the cone vs flat. Would love to hear your thoughts.

OP
OP

TX_Flip

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I have no comparison to the flat obviously, but have used K&N oiled filters before and CAI. I felt it was a decent compromise. I wanted better flow with less risk of oil (so I went with a dry one), but also more surface area (b/c of the cone), and the reusability. If I ever changed to the Mopar CAI or any aftermarket intake that utilizes the factory box, I can reuse this as well. It looked cool, was on sale at the time, and WTH, really low risk.

Last edited:

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
@TX_Flip

I have been running with the aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter, not the cone type offering you purchased but the flat offering....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a flat, dry filter . I have been running with it on my JL 3.6, just over 6 months+, 6,000 mi.+ and can say nothing negative about it.

I did notice right from the get go of using this filter, that the engine idle on the 3.6 was way way smoother..

This filter can be cleaned with Simple Green and water solution and then you leave it out to dry.
Do NOT use compressed air to try to dry it. That damages the filter per aFe.

To me, to many potential issues with oiled filters, so opted to go with dry. Easy cleaning and no special cleaner or oil to purchase.

Is the dry filter constructively different than oiled ones? Can I just wash oil off (never re-apply oil) to become a dry filter? Not sure if it works this way :idea:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The afe proguard 7 is an outstanding filter. These are outer/inner pics after 10k miles (low miles actually) in a super dry, high dust climate, and the inner intake was white glove clean. it's getting cleaned and reoiled.

Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in IMG-2805

Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in IMG-2803

Jeep Wrangler JL aFe Power Dry S Performance Filter - Drop in IMG-2804

Last edited:

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
AFE cone filter flows 38% better than stock. The Best cold air intake AFE makes the momentum GT. With the same filter. Increases flow 38%. This new cone drop in could be as good as a cold air intake.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
The afe proguard 7 is an outstanding filter. These are outer/inner pics after 10k miles (low miles actually) in a super dry, high dust climate, and the inner intake was white glove clean. it's getting cleaned and reoiled.

that is excellent indeed. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored