Sponsored

AFE Dry Air Filters. Drop In.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I purchased a drop in AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter last week. I was debating between this and the K&N Oiled Filter. I did not want to change out the entire intake system, because the return for the money just didn't make sense. I have had K&N filters on other vehicles, and was impressed with the increased airflow and slight increase in power, but, when you hold them up to the light, you can see specks of sunlight . Not good. That, and small small amounts of oil particles make it into your intake, along with a small amount of very very fine dust particles. Not good. When oil coats the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and other electronics, in engings, issues happen.
After reading up, extensively, on both, and my experiences, I chose the AFE. Even though it is a little more restrictive than K&N, but more free flowing than the stock Mopar filter, supposedly.
I will back up and say, that when running the Jeep, from the day I bought it, I can feel the engine idling at times, and at wide open acceleration, there seems to be an unevenness in the powerband, almost like it is struggling a little. But, I just chalked it up to "It's a Jeep Thing". That and it was still pretty quick, as Jeeps go.
Now, after having it in a week, I can without a doubt, say it idles smoother. Also, today was the first time, because of weather and traffic, that I was able to floor it from a rolling start, to about 65 mph. The engine has now awakened. It is definitely faster, and no more surging, under wide open acceleration.
I will definitely switch out the K&N filter I've been running in my diesel truck.

Link to the AFE I bought. Might not be the cheapest price, but it was close:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Jeep-Wrangler-2018-aFe-31-10280-Magnum-Flow-Pro-Dry-S-Panel-Gray-Air-Filter/283515962295?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sponsored

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I just bought the oiled blue version.. Caught it on sale for 42.99 which you can't beat. I'll let you know my thoughts..

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for post. You reminded me, after driving around KOH’s a couple weeks ago I was going to check my AFE intake filter and change cabin filter. KOH was the dustiest place I’ve ever been. Like crazy heavy fog dusty, all turned up by 50,000 + attendee’s kicking dirt. Happy to have had an AFE. Should have treated my lungs as well, haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought the oiled blue version.. Caught it on sale for 42.99 which you can't beat. I'll let you know my thoughts..
Keep an eye on the post filter area. See that it has zero oil residue inside, after a few thousand miles. If you see any residue on anything, well, you know what to do. On the bright side, from what I've seen, AFE is very high quality.

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
So I installed my drop in and drove about 3 hours on the highway to go ski/ snowboarding this weekend.. surprisingly it idles smoother, and feels much smoother on acceleration. My stock filter was clean and only had 12,000 miles on it. Definitely worth the 50 I paid. Now I wonder if a CAI would improve it more?

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a drop in AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter last week. I was debating between this and the K&N Oiled Filter. I did not want to change out the entire intake system, because the return for the money just didn't make sense. I have had K&N filters on other vehicles, and was impressed with the increased airflow and slight increase in power, but, when you hold them up to the light, you can see specks of sunlight . Not good. That, and small small amounts of oil particles make it into your intake, along with a small amount of very very fine dust particles. Not good. When oil coats the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and other electronics, in engings, issues happen.
After reading up, extensively, on both, and my experiences, I chose the AFE. Even though it is a little more restrictive than K&N, but more free flowing than the stock Mopar filter, supposedly.
I will back up and say, that when running the Jeep, from the day I bought it, I can feel the engine idling at times, and at wide open acceleration, there seems to be an unevenness in the powerband, almost like it is struggling a little. But, I just chalked it up to "It's a Jeep Thing". That and it was still pretty quick, as Jeeps go.
Now, after having it in a week, I can without a doubt, say it idles smoother. Also, today was the first time, because of weather and traffic, that I was able to floor it from a rolling start, to about 65 mph. The engine has now awakened. It is definitely faster, and no more surging, under wide open acceleration.
I will definitely switch out the K&N filter I've been running in my diesel truck.

Link to the AFE I bought. Might not be the cheapest price, but it was close:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Jeep-Wrangler-2018-aFe-31-10280-Magnum-Flow-Pro-Dry-S-Panel-Gray-Air-Filter/283515962295?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I agree with your opinion on oiled filters.

Years ago I put a CAI with oiled filter on my 04 TJ Rubicon. A few months later I began having some minor idling and drivability problems. After removing the intake tube at the throttle body, I found the inside of the TB to be coated with an oily and gritty mess. I removed and cleaned the TB along with all of the sensors attached to it. Put on the stock filter assembly, sold the CAI, and never had another issue. I frequently checked the TB and it was always clean.

I personally think the stock filter and assembly flows enough air for a stock engine. Whether it's the 3.6 or 2.0, they can only handle so much air, which is metered anyways. IF you change the head(s), injectors, TB, exhaust, tuning, turbo, etc., then you might be able to take advantage of increased air flow, but at the expense of filter efficiency.

For stock engines, the most important thing is effective air filtering, which paper filters are very adequate and better than oiled filters.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I would also agree with your assessment. K&N typically flows better than most (or any other filter) however, that can come at a cost in the form of contaminants making it through the filter into engine (higher levels of silicon in the oil UOA) or oil impacting the MAF/MAS and long term causes a failure. I worked with a writer for a popular 4x4 magazine some years ago and the AFE filter flowed better than stock but also filtered better.

I had poor filtering with an OEM Motorcraft air filter on a Ford truck and switched to NAPA Gold (WIX made) and the silicon was significantly reduced in the oil UOA with no detrimental impact on MPG. I found NAPA/WIX to be "middle ground" of cost versus performance. I have a NAPA Gold on deck to install in my Rubicon soon.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would also agree with your assessment. K&N typically flows better than most (or any other filter) however, that can come at a cost in the form of contaminants making it through the filter into engine (higher levels of silicon in the oil UOA) or oil impacting the MAF/MAS and long term causes a failure. I worked with a writer for a popular 4x4 magazine some years ago and the AFE filter flowed better than stock but also filtered better.

I had poor filtering with an OEM Motorcraft air filter on a Ford truck and switched to NAPA Gold (WIX made) and the silicon was significantly reduced in the oil UOA with no detrimental impact on MPG. I found NAPA/WIX to be "middle ground" of cost versus performance. I have a NAPA Gold on deck to install in my Rubicon soon.
I generally use the NAPA Gold/Wix filters also. I stay away from anything with the word "FRAM" on it.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@CarbonSteel , the AFE filter is still working great. Zero issues. I still like the idea of no oil on the filter.

Sponsored

AG30

First Name
Akil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, Ducati Monster 796
Hey all,

I'm looking to change my engine air filter to a dry AFE that I recently purchased. The idea of being able to wash it seemed appealing. I understand that basically you just remove the 4 screws from the air box and loosen that hose to get access for drop in. I did want to ask though, on the 2.0, do you need to disconnect the 2 hoses adjacent to the big one? I'm referring to the 2 on the right, just in front of the power steering fluid. If so, any tips?

Thanks.

IMG_2812.jpeg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I did want to ask though, on the 2.0, do you need to disconnect the 2 hoses adjacent to the big one? I'm referring to the 2 on the right, just in front of the power steering fluid.
You shouldn't have to disconnect them.

If so, any tips?
If you ever need to, just press down/squeeze the white part of the connector and pull it off. They simply push/snap back on.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@AG30

Not sure if any other guys with the 2.0 have adopted the afe as of yet.. With that said, you may have to just do the deed blindly in regard to your install of the AFE.

I run an aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter ... the flat panel dry air filter. Actually, just cleaned it again yesterday. I'm real happy with the filter. Cleans up easily and dries out very fast after cleaning.

About your install... You don't need to loosen the band clamp, just fully loosen the screws that secure the air filter housing cover. After they are all loosened, gently pull up on the filter cover and it will rise... you may have to go back and loosen more one of the screws. Anyway, the housing cover will now be able to be lifted up just enough to slide out the old, to get a vacuum nozzle to vacuum out any debris in the housing and to slide in the new filter in....then drop down the cover and refasten the screws..

IF, if say you bought the cone shaped afe or you have trouble getting the cover up enough on hyour 2.0, do know that those 2 hoses you asked about are quick disconnect hoses. Press in firmly on the light colored tab on the hose and put gently but firmly and the hose disconnects. The press/click right back on.

IF you bought the cone shaped afe, you will have to loosen the band clamp and the screws and physically remove the air box cover in order to get the cone shapped afe in.

afe flat/dry for 3.6 and 2.0
Jeep Wrangler JL AFE Dry Air Filters. Drop In. 8888

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Forgot to mention.. Normally, I would spray/soak the afe dry filter with Purple Power 4319PS Industrial Strength Cleaner and Degreaser, then rinse it down, shake it vigorously to get most of the water out of it and then leave it outside in the heat to dry for a few hours and then reinstall.

Yesterday, when I went to clean I found I was out of Purple Power... SO, I soaked the afe dry filter with Windex with Vinegar, (that is all I had on hand) let it sit for about five minutes and rinsed well...

Ya know, that Windex with Vinegar did the deed well.. must have degreaser or whatever in it as the filter cleaned probably up just as well as if I had used the Purple Power. (my filter was not all that dirty though to start with)

aFe Power 31-10280 Performance Air Filter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BC59YVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1