First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Got new AEV rear bumper and tire carrier (love it). Dealer did install. Now rear sensors trigger with nothing behind me in reverse. Dealer tried to fix it but couldn’t. We did learn it’s the spare tire because it works fine without the spare. Called AEV and they’ve not had this complaint before. It’s a BFG KO2 35 inch tire mounted on AEV wheel attached to AEV carrier. Anyone else have this issue or idea to fix?
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Apparently the steel bumper sensor alignment sleeves are clocked differently than the stock plastic bumpers:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Interested to know if you resolve. May order this bumper soon. Good luck!

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Interested to know if you resolve. May order this bumper soon. Good luck!
Update: a great guy at AEV called me to say that they heard my issue and after several emails and calls with engineers they are making new brackets to address the issue. The original brackets and bumper were tested with 40 in tires but there were no problems. However, they received a few calls from customers recently with same issue so they worked up a solve. New brackets should be ready in 3 weeks. All I can say AEV genuinely listens in my limited experience. Many manufacturers wouldn’t offer a solve much less track someone down to say we hear you and found a solve. I know they go the extra miles to crash test their bumpers and test the crap out of their stuff in the real world. I wish I could afford a full AEV build, I would be a customer for life but I’d settle for a front bumper.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Awesome to hear that! The more I learn about them the more I like them. Glad they’re taking care of you.

Sponsored

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
Just wondering if anyone has received the updated parts or bumper to see if this fixed the issue. I'm thinking about ordering the tire carrier.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Update: a great guy at AEV called me to say that they heard my issue and after several emails and calls with engineers they are making new brackets to address the issue. The original brackets and bumper were tested with 40 in tires but there were no problems. However, they received a few calls from customers recently with same issue so they worked up a solve. New brackets should be ready in 3 weeks. All I can say AEV genuinely listens in my limited experience. Many manufacturers wouldn’t offer a solve much less track someone down to say we hear you and found a solve. I know they go the extra miles to crash test their bumpers and test the crap out of their stuff in the real world. I wish I could afford a full AEV build, I would be a customer for life but I’d settle for a front bumper.
Did you get updated brackets? Any noticeable change? I got my bumper and am planning on doing the sensor install tomorrow and hoping I won't have troubles with 37" KM3s.

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT
I just installed my AEV bumper yesterday and my center sensors are showing tripped no matter what. I’m even running it without a spare tire.. the outer sensors seem to work fine.
im going to pop off the cover and fiddle with them again.

F8FAECD6-A88A-4BBE-9FFD-E182E4DCE8EB.jpeg

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just installed my AEV bumper yesterday and my center sensors are showing tripped no matter what. I’m even running it without a spare tire.. the outer sensors seem to work fine.
im going to pop off the cover and fiddle with them again.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper and parking sensor failure F8FAECD6-A88A-4BBE-9FFD-E182E4DCE8EB
That's super weird. Not sure if it matters but did you reinstall them in the same indexed location? Also did you just zip tie the harness in there or how did you handle that?

Reactor111

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I have the LOD Destroyer rear bumper with sensors. I had some luck by rotating the sensors thru a trial and error process. It will work for a few months and then it will start alarming falsely. Then a few weeks later they will work properly. It seems to be magical. I just finally gave up and moved on. Good luck.

Sponsored

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
I just installed the AEV bumper on mine and haven’t had any issues so far,but only a week in and all on-road.

I did install the sensors in the same order and orientation as they came from the factory. I also had to bend the AEV brackets slightly straighter to provide a bit more ‘holding power’ so they wouldn’t move. So far, so good. But, EJS next month will be a good test.

A bit of a pain to install, but I love this bumper - hopefully sensors hold.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper and parking sensor failure 5486507C-D3D3-4045-ABE0-77DDA33567E9

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper and parking sensor failure B2E037BE-1A8E-447B-B3E2-BDCBBC46E8AC

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just installed the AEV bumper on mine and haven’t had any issues so far,but only a week in and all on-road.

I did install the sensors in the same order and orientation as they came from the factory. I also had to bend the AEV brackets slightly straighter to provide a bit more ‘holding power’ so they wouldn’t move. So far, so good. But, EJS next month will be a good test.

A bit of a pain to install, but I love this bumper - hopefully sensors hold.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper and parking sensor failure B2E037BE-1A8E-447B-B3E2-BDCBBC46E8AC

Looks awesome. I’ve looked at a lot of rear bumper options but keep coming back to the AEV. Question: are those bump stops you have for the spare tire aftermarket, or included? Wondering how the offset of the Mopar wheels work with this tire carrier (I have same wheels). Thanks.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks awesome. I’ve looked at a lot of rear bumper options but keep coming back to the AEV. Question: are those bump stops you have for the spare tire aftermarket, or included? Wondering how the offset of the Mopar wheels work with this tire carrier (I have same wheels). Thanks.
The bump stops are stock on the 392 XR as are the wheels -- I'm in the process of installing my bumper (slowly due to time limitations). AEV does include different size bolts I believe that help adjust for nearly any offset configuration.

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Thanks. I had one on a JK a had and loved it. They’re bomber, but I did run into several issues on install.

for the bump stops, I’m not entirely sure to what you’re referring. There are some stock bump stops that come on the XR (maybe other models?) that snap right into the rear door. Those are not used with the AEV carrier. I left them in because there is a hole that you’d have to fill if your pull them. However, I did have to have to cut the passenger side one down by 2/3rds because it was catching on the carrier.

As far as wheel accommodation, there is a huge range of adjustment.

There are two different lengths bolts you can choose from to set the mounting plate backspacing. You can see the larger silver bolt head in the first pic below and the mounting plate it adjusts in the second pic.

FWIW, by AEV’s guidance in the instructions, I was supposed to use the longer of the two bolts. However, it proved too long by about 1/3”. The shorter bolt was perfect.

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper and parking sensor failure 20FBE263-02F1-4CAF-BF15-858629396518

Jeep Wrangler JL AEV rear bumper and parking sensor failure FC8A89EF-EDAF-4A02-99FC-ECCB67C1FF11

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
@Comac90 - understood and thanks. Yes, I was referring to what I now know are the OEM XR tire bump stops. Was also curious if the tire would fit snug to the tire carrier frame. I watched an install video where they drilled holes into the carrier frame assembly and added bump stops ().

(22:50 mark). Of course, those wheels are 3.5 backspace versus 4.5 for the Mopar.
Sponsored