First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone here installed a Rival Bumper w/ parking sensors? I got mine installed and the center parking sensors keep going off. Playing with the sensor angles I think they are picking up the recovery hooks. Anyone here delt with a similar problem. Is there a way to partial block one side of a sensor to give it a blind spot? Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

jaforres

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Good afternoon. Did you ever get this resolved? I just installed my rival rear stubby and have the same issue with the center sensors.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Me too!

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR Mojito 6-speed, 2000 TJ (retired)
Bought mine last year and finally got around to installing the rear stubby. Sensors arent working correctly so I'm wondering if they're picking up the hooks or they're angled by Rival downward too much causing them to trip. The OEM plastic bumper had the sensors flat horizonal and Rival's have an angle to them so perhaps theyre picking up the pavement? I tried again once it cooled down and now get get a "dirty sensor" message. Heading back to the garage this evening to uninstall the hooks and AL shell - redo it all over again and explore the sensor angles.

Frustrating.

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like an error in @Rival 4x4 design plan or Buyer interpreting conflicting messages in the manual and support feedback. The manual shows the parking sensors with brackets fastened across the sensors horizontally. Rival support says to change the orientation of the parking sensors to match the original bumper which means the wire harness then blocks the bracket installation even if its pinched slightly into a 'U'.

They recommend ordering the mopar bezel, bending the brackets to a slight U, but it still doesnt resolve the wire harness impeding the the bracket from cradling the sensor. May need to craft our own bracket and locking mechanism as the installation manual, welded bracket install locations, and support feedback each conflict. The front bumper installation was super easy. Support is very responsive, but it just doesnt seem to work well out of the box. Maybe they'll join the chat here and show an image of the correct installation or alternative approaches.

Tinkering in the garage for a modified approach. Eager to get this solved promptly.

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's how the manual guides you to install the sensors:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rival Rear Bumper Parking Sensor Issues 1690072714048

Rival support guides you to install as shown below which is similar to the OEM original positioning; however, the wiring harness blocks the U bracket install provided by Rival. They also recommend ordering the Mopar steel bumper bezels if you can find them - many places are out of stock. In summary, position the wiring harness' towards the tail hitch on driver and passenger sides.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rival Rear Bumper Parking Sensor Issues 1690072858939

Here's the redneck temporary solution until I fabricate a reliable solution and/or find the mopar, or alternative, bezels. This is the driver's side as an example. Tested this approach for all sensors and it worked like a charm as on the original JLR plastic bumper. Tested backing into a placed object from multiple angles - no issues. However, I've now taken the bumper off so many times these past two weeks the m10 bolts are now stripped. Hitting the big box stores tomorrow to replace them (and the front hook bolts) with heavier gauge. Find some parts to replace this ziptie hack job.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rival Rear Bumper Parking Sensor Issues 1690072909951
Sponsored