Sponsored

Adding under-seat subwoofer

colin7

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara - Mojito!
I am in the market for an underseat subwoofer and see several options out there for the JLU- does anyone have dimensions they can share for underseat volume (either front side - driver or passenger), or lessons learned from installing powered/active all-in-one subwoofers? I have reluctantly had to shed my 12" setup and am ready to pull the trigger, but cannot find any LxWxH dimensions that would be appropriate for such an application. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Sponsored

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
I’m not sure about the drivers side, but I had the passenger seat out while mounting an amp under there. There’s a duct under there that unless you removed it, would probably be in the way.
JL Audio and SSV Works make sub enclosures that mount between the rear fender well and back seat, The JL comes with a 10” sub, and with the SSV you can get just the enclosure.
Good luck!

deputyonce

First Name
Loy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Altitude
Occupation
Medical
Value wise....JBL 8” self-powered sub is what I bought. I am STILL installing everything, but it will work.

OP
OP
colin7

colin7

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure about the drivers side, but I had the passenger seat out while mounting an amp under there. There’s a duct under there that unless you removed it, would probably be in the way.
JL Audio and SSV Works make sub enclosures that mount between the rear fender well and back seat, The JL comes with a 10” sub, and with the SSV you can get just the enclosure.
Good luck!
Thanks - I am trying to keep the area behind my back seats completely void of gear as I will be running topless the majority of the time once Spring hits. I'll check out the passenger seat as a potential

OP
OP
colin7

colin7

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Value wise....JBL 8” self-powered sub is what I bought. I am STILL installing everything, but it will work.
Debating between an 8" or 10" which seems like either may fit under the seat. self-powered is definitely what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Sponsored

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Debating between an 8" or 10" which seems like either may fit under the seat. self-powered is definitely what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Also- the infinity Version will fit as well as the JBL-they are the same product with cosmetic differences.

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
How about the area for the tool storage in the rear trunk area (perfect size) - that is where I am thinking about installing a compact sub-woofer. Seems it will be very tight fit under front passenger seat, has anyone done it?

deputyonce

First Name
Loy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Altitude
Occupation
Medical
The JK actually had a replacement type enclosure for that area, but I have only seen amps put in there....I would be concerned about overheating (depending on where you live)?

OP
OP
colin7

colin7

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JK actually had a replacement type enclosure for that area, but I have only seen amps put in there....I would be concerned about overheating (depending on where you live)?
I agree - i have seen amps sealed under there but that doesnt feel like a spot that would get sufficient airflow to disperse heat. I'm wondering how under the back seat would limit folding down my seats- i think i am going to make a model out of some 2x4s to test out what will actually fit.

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Why not just drill perforated holes on the cover to give it more airflow - should be easy enough.

Sponsored

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I have never heard an underseat sub that didn't disappoint me (referring to the compact self-powered ones)... I would seriously consider trying to fit a small, low profile sub/box somewhere with a separate amp. There was a guy who made boxes for under the seats in a JK, but for the life of me I can't remember his name...

I am putting two amps in the trunk tub in my 2 door... As far as air flow, especially class D will be no problem at all back there.

IMG-20191223-154615109.jpg

Last edited:

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
I considered doing that install location as well, until I realized that if caught in a downpour, with the top down, that area will get soaked and could potentially result in leakage. On another forum, some guy had that exact scenario happen, so now I'm investingating where under the steering wheel and on the firewall I can put some amps

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
Just what I was looking for. I'm debating removing the current sub and building a slightly larger box.

But, I found an under-seat box, wonder if anyone has tried them? I won't post a link because it'll be gone someday, but Google "Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited 8" or 10"Subwoofer Box Enclosure For UNDER REAR SEAT" and here's a pic.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

jeeplaw

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, 2019 JLUR
The only question I have is whether you can fold the seat down or not with that box. If you can't then that's a no go for me

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
Forgot that picture. He says you can. Built in St. Augustine Florida to order meaning I can return it to him as that's just a few hours away. Like you, I'm still deciding.

The only question I have is whether you can fold the seat down or not with that box. If you can't then that's a no go for me
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Sponsored