Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

hooks

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Sahara Altitude
I tried reading the whole thing but I’m just lost and figured just to ask...
I’m adding two 12in subs with aftermarket amp to my 2021 wrangler with 8.4 alpine system..... got quoted $300 for install

he comes back later and says he might need the amp pro4 that’s on the 1st page... is that required for this installation?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I tried reading the whole thing but I’m just lost and figured just to ask...
I’m adding two 12in subs with aftermarket amp to my 2021 wrangler with 8.4 alpine system..... got quoted $300 for install

he comes back later and says he might need the amp pro4 that’s on the 1st page... is that required for this installation?
You shouldn't need the PAC device. Your installer can easily tap into the mid-range rear speakers, just behind the right passenger seat under the floor-level section of the B-Pillar. You will need an LOC (something like the LC2i from AudioControl), though nothing more, as long as you're leaving the rear channel speakers in play.

hooks

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Sahara Altitude
You shouldn't need the PAC device. Your installer can easily tap into the mid-range rear speakers, just behind the right passenger seat under the floor-level section of the B-Pillar. You will need an LOC (something like the LC2i from AudioControl), though nothing more, as long as you're leaving the rear channel speakers in play.
sweet. Thank you!

DQ17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This thread has been amazing. I took bits and pieces from all the knowledge and set out to install my own version in my ‘19 Rubicon.
With that said I went with audio control amp with the built in DSP. Bridged to my crossovers then feeding the front sound stage on 4 of the channels. 2 other channels to rears. Separate amp for dual 10’s.
My issue is the DSP and getting the stereo to sound good at volume 6 or 10 or 18...mine only sounds good when up loud.
Any direction from anyone on how to set up the DSP would be awesome.

JuliOjeda

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jl 2dr
Hey everyone I would just like to let you know that JL Audio will be making " speaker kits" for the JL Wrangler to upgrade the stock speakers!!! It's still in R&D but can expect them to be coming out in the next few months. I'm an employee there and let the company use my jeep as the test dummy.
I would like to know if they will be making stealth boxes for the 2dr JL models...

Sponsored

Flapilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Quick question with the AMPPRO and factory wiring. I’m not an audiophile and I’m looking for a mid priced upgrade here so I’m trying to keep this to one, 5 channel amp and factory wiring.

1.) Has anyone confirmed the front knee speaker and dash are wired in parallel.

2.) if I add an amp with the amppro and decide to keep factory wiring both of those speakers would now be amplified on one channel because of the parallel wiring?

3.) being in parallel, I would lose half the watts going to each speaker? So hypothetical, if I choose say 1 3.5 50w speaker and a 6.5” 50w I would be ok using a larger amp and running that channel at say 100w and each speaker would get 50?

or am I completely off base here?

Or should I scratch the 3.5”s and just run a component?

Last edited:

Goh001

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
…Going larger in the soundbar without the SSV Works adapter is possible, though it will require more cutting than I personally recommend, given the limited sound that can be achieved from the soundbar.
Given the limited volume in the sound bar, do you think trying to get 6x9 speakers in the soundbar is worth the effort?

At JeepBeach 2021, MB Quart announced a 6x9 Inch Universal Rear Speaker Mounting Kit, in addition to other equipment for their JL/JT ‘Jeep Tuned Audio Package’. At first glance it looks similar to the Metra and SSV Works kits for 6.5” speakers.
https://mbquart.com/mobile-audio/vehicle-kits/

(For those interested, there is supposed to be a jeepbeach2021 code that is good for a 40% off, though I haven’t tried it myself)

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Given the limited volume in the sound bar, do you think trying to get 6x9 speakers in the soundbar is worth the effort?

At JeepBeach 2021, MB Quart announced a 6x9 Inch Universal Rear Speaker Mounting Kit, in addition to other equipment for their JL/JT ‘Jeep Tuned Audio Package’. At first glance it looks similar to the Metra and SSV Works kits for 6.5” speakers.

(For those interested, there is supposed to be a jeepbeach2021 code that is good for a 40% off, though I haven’t tried it myself)
I really do think those would help. Our Jeeps, even when running 6.5's, still have a slight gap in the mid-bass range. Using cross-overs and tuning really helps, though it can stress the limits of 6.5's.

Adding 6x9's, using the MB Quart adapters, is intriguing, as quality 6x9's can handle a good bit of power and add a deeper bass element if housed properly. And that's likely the key to making those work. A quality baffle, or some inner fiberglass work would really make a difference. May need to give it a try... Great post Gerald! ;)

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has been amazing. I took bits and pieces from all the knowledge and set out to install my own version in my ‘19 Rubicon.
With that said I went with audio control amp with the built in DSP. Bridged to my crossovers then feeding the front sound stage on 4 of the channels. 2 other channels to rears. Separate amp for dual 10’s.
My issue is the DSP and getting the stereo to sound good at volume 6 or 10 or 18...mine only sounds good when up loud.
Any direction from anyone on how to set up the DSP would be awesome.
Best guess is testing calibration with different volume settings.

For example, with the JL Fix86, the calibration requires manually setting the volume at 75% then running the calibration tones/process. Depending on preferences, you can calibrate it using a volume that's above/below that to test how it reacts to your individual system.

Understanding the calibration process is likely different for the AudioControl device, you may be able to test different calibration levels in a similar way. Haven't used it personally, though it may be worth a shot.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question with the AMPPRO and factory wiring. I’m not an audiophile and I’m looking for a mid priced upgrade here so I’m trying to keep this to one, 5 channel amp and factory wiring.

1.) Has anyone confirmed the front knee speaker and dash are wired in parallel.

2.) if I add an amp with the amppro and decide to keep factory wiring both of those speakers would now be amplified on one channel because of the parallel wiring?

3.) being in parallel, I would lose half the watts going to each speaker? So hypothetical, if I choose say 1 3.5 50w speaker and a 6.5” 50w I would be ok using a larger amp and running that channel at say 100w and each speaker would get 50?

or am I completely off base here?

Or should I scratch the 3.5”s and just run a component?
Which system do you have? If it's the base system, yes, the stock wires simply split. If you use the PAC device, and you want to use the stock wiring, you simply feed the speaker output wires of your amp to the "dongle" that PAC provides. Doing so redistributes the signal based on the system you have (as determined by the DIP Switches).

You'll see in several prior posts that I never recommend using the stock wiring, as the factory wires are very thin. Also, you will benefit by running components/separates up front, since down-firing tweeters won't be heard from the kick panels. Since components come with their own crossovers, just run fresh wire and you'll eliminate the concerns you've outlined.

Good luck with your install!

Sponsored

AmarilloJLU

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4Xe Rubicon on order

Looks like the code works, I did not purchase them but it did recognize the code at checkout.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) F7E241ED-99D4-4BE9-BAAF-811ABE52DF2B

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Looks like the code works, I did not purchase them but it did recognize the code at checkout.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) F7E241ED-99D4-4BE9-BAAF-811ABE52DF2B
At that price this MBQuart system is really tempting. What I can't tell from their website is if this includes any DSP. They show it includes two amplifiers, each with a pair of RCA inputs, but it's really unclear as to how you get a signal from the OEM headunit into the two amplifiers. If I need to purchase a DSP separately that's fine, but the 3-band OEM GEQ doesn't cut it for me.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
At that price this MBQuart system is really tempting. What I can't tell from their website is if this includes any DSP. They show it includes two amplifiers, each with a pair of RCA inputs, but it's really unclear as to how you get a signal from the OEM headunit into the two amplifiers. If I need to purchase a DSP separately that's fine, but the 3-band OEM GEQ doesn't cut it for me.
An interesting option for sure.

PS: Too many unanswered questions. What amp for the sub? I look forward to reviews!

Last edited:

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
An interesting option for sure.

PS: Too many unanswered questions. What amp for the sub? I look forward to reviews!
I'm wondering about the sub too. They show a subwoofer option for the Gladiator but not for the JL. I plan to put a larger sub in the back anyway, so I'm not terribly concerned about the sub. I really just like the idea of replacement housings for the front 6.5" and rear 6x9's, and I've always liked MB Quart speakers in the past. It's just really unclear if this includes a line out converter, or if I need to buy one separately. I might just buy the speakers and source my own amps and DSP.

I tried calling MB Quart just now, but the woman who answered the phone said the tech support guys are at a show and won't be available until Monday. She did confirm that the jeepbeach2021 code is valid through May 15th though.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I was reading through the instruction manual and noticed one of the included items says "AAMPPRO OEM Interface" so I assume this means it comes with the PAC AMP PRO...which explains how they are getting an RCA signal for their included amps. Based on this, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. It was $959 with the jeepbeach2021 discount. Shipping was free and there was no tax. I will post an update once it arrives, but it might be a couple weeks until I can find time to actually install it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 9.34.14 AM
Sponsored