robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is mostly about amps, but got my speakers in and have a couple questions before I install.

1: Both sets of speakers (Kickers and Kenwoods) come with wires to splice in for a cross over; did you all use those? If so, did you just cut the spade connector off the metra adapter, connect the crossover to the adapter and then crossover wire to speakers?

2: I saw a post about some of the metra adapters being reversed (polarity); how can I make sure mine are good?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I know this is mostly about amps, but got my speakers in and have a couple questions before I install.

1: Both sets of speakers (Kickers and Kenwoods) come with wires to splice in for a cross over; did you all use those? If so, did you just cut the spade connector off the metra adapter, connect the crossover to the adapter and then crossover wire to speakers?

2: I saw a post about some of the metra adapters being reversed (polarity); how can I make sure mine are good?

Thank you in advance!
I did not use those. I simply plugged in whatever was there or ran speaker wire to the amp. And there’s a bunch of YouTube videos for visual effect that are all pretty simple.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you in advance!
I think I'm following your questions, but if not, just let me know, and I'll try to respond differently.

For your cross-overs... Typically, you'll feed the speaker wires from your amp or stereo to the crossover's "In" or "Input" connectors (positive and negative). Then, the crossover has two sets of outputs that are labeled for your tweeter and mid-range. You'd simply connect those to each respective speaker terminal.

And you're right, some of the Metra plugs are wired backwards for our application. This image displays how you'll know if the wires are reversed! It's pretty obvious! ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) IMAG0208

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm following your questions, but if not, just let me know, and I'll try to respond differently.

For your cross-overs... Typically, you'll feed the speaker wires from your amp or stereo to the crossover's "In" or "Input" connectors (positive and negative). Then, the crossover has two sets of outputs that are labeled for your tweeter and mid-range. You'd simply connect those to each respective speaker terminal.

And you're right, some of the Metra plugs are wired backwards for our application. This image displays how you'll know if the wires are reversed! It's pretty obvious! ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) IMAG0208
Thanks for the reply, I didn't mean a hardware crossover but rather what's seen in the pic here.
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s) IMG_8847.JPG

Looks like it will be easy for the sound bar to make sure they match but I'm installing the front corner ones and want to make sure either the metra adapter is right and/or the crutchfield install guide is right. Thank you!

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply, I didn't mean a hardware crossover but rather what's seen in the pic here.

Looks like it will be easy for the sound bar to make sure they match but I'm installing the front corner ones and want to make sure either the metra adapter is right and/or the crutchfield install guide is right. Thank you!
Gotcha'! So here's a little trick...

If you have a speaker and are trying to figure out which terminal is the Positive and which is the Negative connection, find a 9-Volt battery and briefly touch it's two terminals to the speaker's two terminals. If the speaker pushes out when they touch, the 9-volt's positive (smaller terminal) and negative (larger terminal) connectors match that of the speaker's polarity. If the speaker pulls inward, the 9-volt's positive and negative terminals are opposite the speaker's polarity.

So how does this help? Well, if you do this to the stock speaker, it makes it very clear which of the stock wires going into it are positive and negative. You'll then connect the identified wires to the positive and negative wires of the crossover wiring labeled in your picture.

Hope that makes sense!

Sponsored

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 2018 Chevy Suburban
Thanks for all the great info. I just bought a new to me 2018 jlu Rubicon with a alpine system. I thought that would be ok for awhile but the sound is lacking. I plan on going the fix-86 route when i buy the components. to start I got the Metra speaker pods and plan on installing jl c2-650 in them. My question is, can I install the pods and new speakers before I get the rest of the stuff? Would I just install the resistors to the new speakers? If so does each of the 4 new speakers Get it’s own resistor?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the great info. I just bought a new to me 2018 jlu Rubicon with a alpine system. I thought that would be ok for awhile but the sound is lacking. I plan on going the fix-86 route when i buy the components. to start I got the Metra speaker pods and plan on installing jl c2-650 in them. My question is, can I install the pods and new speakers before I get the rest of the stuff? Would I just install the resistors to the new speakers? If so does each of the 4 new speakers Get it’s own resistor?
The best answer I can give you is yes to adding pods/speakers now and maybe with respect to the need for resistors

The most likely answer is yes, you will need to use the resistors, one per speaker. Get the resistors anyway (they're cheap) and return them if you don't need them.

Just be strategic where you place them, so you don't have to move them when you add the JL Fix86.

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha'! So here's a little trick...

If you have a speaker and are trying to figure out which terminal is the Positive and which is the Negative connection, find a 9-Volt battery and briefly touch it's two terminals to the speaker's two terminals. If the speaker pushes out when they touch, the 9-volt's positive (smaller terminal) and negative (larger terminal) connectors match that of the speaker's polarity. If the speaker pulls inward, the 9-volt's positive and negative terminals are opposite the speaker's polarity.

So how does this help? Well, if you do this to the stock speaker, it makes it very clear which of the stock wires going into it are positive and negative. You'll then connect the identified wires to the positive and negative wires of the crossover wiring labeled in your picture.

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks, makes sense and I did that with the two front dash speakers but both are showing the opposite of what the crutchfield guide AND the mopar wiring diagram say which is making me second guess myself lol

laraza2k1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4X4 2019 2 Door
My question is: does anyone know if the rear speaker wires run a full range signal? I have 2014 Ram w/Alpine system and a lot of truck owners were tapping into the rear speakers to add a sub, but it was learned later on that even the rear speakers had been equalized by the factory Alpine amp, thus you were not getting a clean full-range signal. The PAC AmpPro was the preferred way to add an amp and sub if you wanted a true unflitered signal before it reached your aftermarket amp. I have a 2019 2 door Rubicon and planning to add a sub + amp, and 99% sure I'm going with the Pac AmpPro, but this question has been bugging me.

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Sounds like you have the base system (which is what I have). I did what the OP recommended for "just adding a sub" from the original post on this thread. I took the signal from the base of the passenger door pillar, sent it to a LOC (line out converter), then took that preamp signal to run 2x8" powered subs, one under each front seat. Worked great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My question is: does anyone know if the rear speaker wires run a full range signal? I have 2014 Ram w/Alpine system and a lot of truck owners were tapping into the rear speakers to add a sub, but it was learned later on that even the rear speakers had been equalized by the factory Alpine amp, thus you were not getting a clean full-range signal. The PAC AmpPro was the preferred way to add an amp and sub if you wanted a true unflitered signal before it reached your aftermarket amp. I have a 2019 2 door Rubicon and planning to add a sub + amp, and 99% sure I'm going with the Pac AmpPro, but this question has been bugging me.
Hey Alex, yes, the rears are full spectrum, though they do seem to have some stock equalization applied. It's obviously best to use an advanced LOC/DSP, though the budget-minded aren't losing much by tapping the rear channel and using something a bit more affordable like the LC2i or something similar.

CrimsonGhost138

First Name
Raffaele
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler unlimited Sport
Hey guys so I plan on doing my install this weekend. My only question is, do I bring my remote wire to my LOC or to the amp? It’s a self powered Sub with built in amp

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys so I plan on doing my install this weekend. My only question is, do I bring my remote wire to my LOC or to the amp? It’s a self powered Sub with built in amp
In most cases, both will need a remote on connection. You can use the same wire if they are mounted close together.
Sponsored