Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

JTJeepLV

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
In my opinion, the Fix86 provides the cleaner, flatter signal conversion between these two options, but the PAC is a ton easier to install, since it's a plug and play option versus having to add resistors.

The Fix86 and TWK are two completely different systems, with different purposes. The Fix86 is a specialized factory integration LOC on steroids, and the TWK is a true DSP allowing for customization/control of your sound (Timing/Crossovers/10-Band EQ per channel/Gain/Sound Profiles/Etc).

Oh, and I tossed my passive crossovers, using only the VXi's internal crossover system. My amp is the VX800/8i, which allows me to send a discrete channel of power to each each tweeter and mid-range speaker. I'm also using the VXi's pass-through to feed my sub's amp, which allows me to control the DSP functionality of it, too. It's super clean and allows more flexibility when tuning.

Hope that helps!
Perfect, that just helped me make the decision to use my Fix86 easy. Good to know the crossovers are not required if I utilize my VX1000/5i internal system. I was dreading having to find a spot to mount the crossovers. Thanks again for all the info! Ill post and update when all is done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
if upgrading the 8.4" alpine system... is the signal pre-equalized with the alpine amp doing the equalization? if so, then is Fix86 still better solution than PAC?
With the Alpine, you're good with the PAC. It will pull the signal straight from the back of the radio. The PAC does a decent job of flattening the signal, and is an easier install. You'll just want to ensure the dip-switches on the PAC are set properly.

While opinion, I do think the Fix86 offers stronger processing, though you wouldn't be disappointed with the PAC. We've had a few folks here run into a "hiss" sound with their amps using the PAC, and the PAC team insists its due to the gains on the amps being set too high. Haven't experienced this myself. Get the PAC, but keep that receipt. If it doesn't exceed your expectations return it. Just make sure your vendor will accept returns before you buy.

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR & 2013 BMW M5 (former)
i was all set on the pac, but now you have me thinking Fix86. going to pair with XD700/5v2

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
i was all set on the pac, but now you have me thinking Fix86. going to pair with XD700/5v2
Either will work with that amp just fine. While the XD700/5v2 doesn't offer DSP capability, the PAC has a single EQ, and the Fix86 offers 4 10-band EQ's. Check out the PC apps for each, and you'll get a good feel for what they offer.

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either will work with that amp just fine. While the XD700/5v2 doesn't offer DSP capability, the PAC has a single EQ, and the Fix86 offers 4 10-band EQ's. Check out the PC apps for each, and you'll get a good feel for what they offer.
Thanks. Do I have to do the resistors if going the fix86 route?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
With the Alpine, you're good with the PAC. It will pull the signal straight from the back of the radio. The PAC does a decent job of flattening the signal, and is an easier install. You'll just want to ensure the dip-switches on the PAC are set properly.

While opinion, I do think the Fix86 offers stronger processing, though you wouldn't be disappointed with the PAC. We've had a few folks here run into a "hiss" sound with their amps using the PAC, and the PAC team insists its due to the gains on the amps being set too high. Haven't experienced this myself. Get the PAC, but keep that receipt. If it doesn't exceed your expectations return it. Just make sure your vendor will accept returns before you buy.
I have the PAC and amp gain on 4 channel set to about 40% gain with PAC dip switch set to 4v. Still have the hiss.

My opinion aside from the hiss is to go Fix86. While the PAC does a good job of flattening the signal, this is not always a good thing. You can’t fine tune the system quite as well. Therefore my sound seems flat compared to what I believe a true DSP would be able to overcome.

my system just doesn’t sound “alive” and there is no way I have found so far by amp and factory head unit adjustments to truly create that refined sound.

ziff73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few questions on the PAC and Fix86. (8.4" alpine, will connect RCA from device to Amp)

Warning chimes (backup sensors, blind spot, etc...)
-Are they the same on either system?
-might have read somewhere that the actual chime sound is different than OEM?
-i read that PAC has the ability to turn the chime volume down, can Fix do the same?
-i read somewhere that when tuning the Fix 86 the chime sound disappears?

Bluetooth phone
-was there an answer to an earlier thread about only coming out of one output (left front)? or all 4?
-how does Fix handle?

Wiring harness
-is there one for Fix? or is it splice / solder / resistor time

Trade Offs
-any other trade offs / issues / features lost /

thanks again

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
How come there isn’t more consideration for the fosgate dsr1? Full maestro integration with a 6 channel full dsp for $299.

it’s said to be better than then the PAC for Jeep integration, and the dsp is likely better and more flexible than the fix86?

all plug and play, no resistors needed?

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
How come there isn’t more consideration for the fosgate dsr1? Full maestro integration with a 6 channel full dsp for $299.

it’s said to be better than then the PAC for Jeep integration, and the dsp is likely better and more flexible than the fix86?

all plug and play, no resistors needed?
Little has been shared on the DSR-1 for no reason other than it being a late arrival (for our Jeeps), and only a few folks have installed it. AudioControl has options as well. I, personally, try not to comment on products I haven't had experience with. As an example, I held off on adding the PAC to the initial post until installing a couple myself.

I highly encourage sharing any first-hand knowledge on the DSR-1, as it may very well be another solid option for our group.

Thx!

Sponsored

JTJeepLV

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Has anyone completely removed the entire Alpine system (speakers, sub & amp)? I'm getting ready to replace all the speakers and remove the factory sub but I am wondering if I can remove the amp itself? I feel it would be easy to sell off the entire system if it included the factory amp.

scuba264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White JLU Altitude
Hey all! Just joined after I picked up my first JLU! I've installed systems in several cars over the years, just today started ripping things apart to replace the base stereo in this thing.

One question I didn't find addressed yet: No issues or concerns mounting an amp under the seat with that floor vent right there? I'm probably going for that spot but I'm a little afraid picturing cranking the heat in the winter directly onto my amp haha.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all! Just joined after I picked up my first JLU! I've installed systems in several cars over the years, just today started ripping things apart to replace the base stereo in this thing.

One question I didn't find addressed yet: No issues or concerns mounting an amp under the seat with that floor vent right there? I'm probably going for that spot but I'm a little afraid picturing cranking the heat in the winter directly onto my amp haha.
Hey Steve, welcome to the forum and the Jeep community!

That floor vent is pretty flexible. There's really not much holding it in place but a few body posts/pins. Depending on how you mount it, you can run the air above or below your amp. It's a bit of a pain to get to an underseat-mounted amp, so make sure to position it so you can access your controls from the back side of the passenger seat area, if possible.

Good luck with your install, and reach out if you need any support. This is a great group!

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

shouldn’t be an issue especially if class D or better since they run so cool. But a lot of people are installing the JL Audio amp rack to keep it up off the floor.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone completely removed the entire Alpine system (speakers, sub & amp)? I'm getting ready to replace all the speakers and remove the factory sub but I am wondering if I can remove the amp itself? I feel it would be easy to sell off the entire system if it included the factory amp.
You can definitely remove everything, I'm just not sure if it's a plug and play thing for someone else. There's a need for a security code to enable a new uConnect system, as is the case when folks are purchasing 7-inch systems online to replace a 5, or an 8-inch system to replace the 7, though I don't know if anything special has to be done to enable the amp. Best guess is the code is limited to the radio and that the amp is simply an accessory, but maybe someone who's experienced this frequents this post/forum and can chime in. Good question!
Sponsored